The Tower In Frodo's Dream

Tungol

It seems clear that the tower in Frodo's dream is from the Tower Hills. But what exactly does this signify?

In the prologue we are told:
Three Elf-towers of immemorial age were still to be seen on the Tower Hills beyond the western marches. They shone far off in the moonlight. The tallest was furthest away, standing alone upon a green mound. The Hobbits of the Westfarthing said that one could see the Sea from the top of that tower; but no Hobbit had ever been known to climb it.

From the Silmarillion:
It is said that the towers of Emyn Beraid ... were raised by Gil-galad for Elendil, his friend; and the Seeing Stone of Emyn Beraid was set in Elostirion, the tallest of the towers. Thither Elendil would repair, and thence he would gaze out over the sundering seas, when the yearning of exile was upon him; and it is believed that thus he would at whiles see far away even the Tower of Avallónë upon Eressëa....

In the dream, Frodo desires to climb the tower. Are we to take this as foreshadowing of his eventual desire to leave for Valinor? I'm wondering why this would happen so early, before he is stabbed on Weathertop. Is the influence of the ring already calling him to the afterlife?

Another possibility: is the ring already trying to betray him to the Palantir in the tower (symbolically)?

Last edited:
Looking back on the discussion, I have the nagging feeling that the Ulmo explanation isn't complete. I don't think it accounts for Frodo's failure to climb the tower. If Ulmo was trying to send a vision of hope, why doesn't the dream end with success at viewing the Sea?

I think there's also a prophetic element here with Valinor (which is associated with the Sea). A commentor in another forum wrote:

"Frodo’s inability to climb the ridge represents the fact that only Elves could take 'the straight path' over the sea to Valinor, while the thunder stands for the power of the Valar, keeping him out.

It's almost like Ulmo desires to give Frodo foresight of his ultimate fate, but the other Valar (Manwë and Varda, or even Illuvatar?) interrupt because it's not yet his time to know such things.

Last edited:
Hmm, I'm not sure how I feel about that interpretation, but it's certainly an interesting idea.

I think there are a number of different possible interpretations here, and Tolkien left it intentionally ambiguous.

However, it's clear that there are two seperate elements in the last part: Frodo's great desire to climb the tower and see the Sea, and that the fact that he is interrupted suddenly by a light in the sky and thunder. This is all we know and have to guess at what the meaning is, given our knowledge of the lore.

Back