House of Fingolfin

Marielle

Tom Hiddleston is Daddy and Vicky McClure is Mommy. So we have two, possibly three sons, a daughter, a daughter-in-law, and a granddaughter to cast this season.

upload_2017-4-5_13-40-21.jpeg upload_2017-4-5_13-40-37.jpeg

House of Fingolfin:
Fingon
Turgon
Elenwe
Idril
Aredhel
*Argon?

Haakon suggested Sam Claflin as Fingon and Armie Hammer as Turgon

upload_2017-4-5_13-40-57.jpeg upload_2017-4-5_13-41-22.jpeg

I'm firmly on record as wanting Lily James for adult Idril, but we probably can put little Idril in the "unknown actress" category.
images

No preference on Elenwe yet, and Aredhel already has a casting page at https://forums.signumuniversity.org/index.php?threads/aredhel.298/

Would it be too on the nose to cast Hayley Atwell as Elenwe, considering she played Lily James' Cinderella's mother in the 2015 film?

upload_2017-4-5_15-16-28.jpeg

Thoughts on the characters of the house of Fingolfin:

Fingon: Loyal to his friends and family, down to a fault. Self-sacrificing. Perhaps less subtle than Turgon and some of his cousins? His idea of a rescue is to wander around alone, singing, near the Enemy's fortress, after all :p

Turgon: A bit more proud than his brother, not necessarily of himself but of his kindred/people. More subtle and secretive. Devoted to his family, but perhaps less insightful than he ought to be (fails to understand how Gondolin will depress Aredhel's spirits, or to see the darkness in Maeglin, which *could* have been corrected, I think).

Argon: no idea. Truth be told, sometimes I forget he exists.

Aredhel: we've set up her friendship for Celegorm and Curufin, and her propensity to get lost. I think we could have some parallels with "wanting to do good in Middle Earth" Arwen, and have her resent Gondolin, not only because it limits her movements, but because it is so cut off from the world it no longer can help it. She might also prefer the natural wilderness to the artificial city -- no matter how beautiful.

I'm still convinced she'd be a great Luthien.
No doubt about that! But I'm still in the camp of "someone less obviously of one particular race should play Luthien." Luthien is mixed-race, and I'd love if we depicted that on-screen with our casting choice.

Thoughts on the characters of the house of Fingolfin:

Fingon: Loyal to his friends and family, down to a fault. Self-sacrificing. Perhaps less subtle than Turgon and some of his cousins? His idea of a rescue is to wander around alone, singing, near the Enemy's fortress, after all :p

Turgon: A bit more proud than his brother, not necessarily of himself but of his kindred/people. More subtle and secretive. Devoted to his family, but perhaps less insightful than he ought to be (fails to understand how Gondolin will depress Aredhel's spirits, or to see the darkness in Maeglin, which *could* have been corrected, I think).

Argon: no idea. Truth be told, sometimes I forget he exists.

Aredhel: we've set up her friendship for Celegorm and Curufin, and her propensity to get lost. I think we could have some parallels with "wanting to do good in Middle Earth" Arwen, and have her resent Gondolin, not only because it limits her movements, but because it is so cut off from the world it no longer can help it. She might also prefer the natural wilderness to the artificial city -- no matter how beautiful.
Argon's not even in the published Silmarillion.

Pål is *very* tall - 6' 5"! I would make sure we don't put him in scenes with either....very short people, or with Elwë (who is meant to be the tallest elf ever, but is 'only' 6'4"). So that means keeping him out of the House of Finarfin, where they have an extremely short mother and meetings with Thingol.

The Houses of Fingolfin or Fëanor are fair game; those guys aren't going near Doriath (well, not until after Thingol's death, in the case of the Fëanoreans.)

So it basically comes down to....do you see him more as Maedhros or Turgon? Both have a tragic streak to them. Turgon's pride, paranoia and sense of righteous anger are going to get him in trouble, but he's a noble king who creates the safest haven against Morgoth and chooses to shelter Hurin and Huor (and later Tuor). He cooperates with Ulmo (to a point), but grows too attached to his realm in the end.

Maedhros swears the Oath (which is his first mistake) and relentlessly hands out ultimatums that result in kinslayings. But when he's not doing that, he is managing his brothers and the Noldor with fairly fine-tuned political skills. He has the friendship with Fingon and the ordeal of his capture to make him a sympathetic character.

Both characters should be fairly tall (taller than Fingon, anyway).

Pål is *very* tall - 6' 5"! I would make sure we don't put him in scenes with either....very short people, or with Elwë (who is meant to be the tallest elf ever, but is 'only' 6'4"). So that means keeping him out of the House of Finarfin, where they have an extremely short mother and meetings with Thingol.

The Houses of Fingolfin or Fëanor are fair game; those guys aren't going near Doriath (well, not until after Thingol's death, in the case of the Fëanoreans.)

So it basically comes down to....do you see him more as Maedhros or Turgon? Both have a tragic streak to them. Turgon's pride, paranoia and sense of righteous anger are going to get him in trouble, but he's a noble king who creates the safest haven against Morgoth and chooses to shelter Hurin and Huor (and later Tuor). He cooperates with Ulmo (to a point), but grows too attached to his realm in the end.

Maedhros swears the Oath (which is his first mistake) and relentlessly hands out ultimatums that result in kinslayings. But when he's not doing that, he is managing his brothers and the Noldor with fairly fine-tuned political skills. He has the friendship with Fingon and the ordeal of his capture to make him a sympathetic character.

Both characters should be fairly tall (taller than Fingon, anyway).
Yes we have two actors as I see it who are currently condenders for the roles of Maedhros and Turgon. Pål Sverre Hagen and Armie Hammer. I don't have a clear preference. Both are very tall, but Pål is a half inch taller than Armie, if that matters. I think Pål looks a little bit like Hiddleston, well just a little but enough, so perhaps I do prefer him as Turgon. upload_2017-4-10_10-20-15.jpeg. That would mean that I should suggest Armie Hammer as Maedhros: upload_2017-4-10_10-18-14.jpeg
Maehdros' mother-name was Maitimo ("Well-shaped One"), because of his comeliness. I guess that could fit as a name for Hammer.

Last edited:
Yes we have two actors as I see it who are currently condenders for the roles of Maedhros and Turgon. Pål Sverre Hagen and Armie Hammer. I don't have a clear preference. Both are very tall, but Pål is a half inch taller than Armie, if that matters. I think Pål looks a little bit like Hiddleston, well just a little but enough, so perhaps I do prefer him as Turgon. View attachment 1045. That would mean that I should suggest Armie Hammer as Maedhros: View attachment 1044
Maehdros' mother-name was Maitimo ("Well-shaped One"), because of his comeliness. I guess that could fit as a name for Hammer.
I concur with this arrangement; Hammer is more handsome, to my eye (YMMV), so I definitely prefer him for Maedros. But Hagen is very striking -- I can see him as the King of Gondolin very easily.

Looks pretty good, though I haven't seen any of her work.
I didn't particularly care for "The Paradise", but that was most definitely not her fault.

Edited to Add: looking at Hiddleston's and McClure's faces, do we want to go more for "heart shaped" or "triangle" for the Fingolfin brood, as opposed to the rectangles we seem to be leaning towards with the Feanoreans?

I know, super early in the process to be deciding that, but I thought that might be a subtle but distinctive was to differentiate them.

Back