Swords

I didn't intend to link anything... Those things just happen with my iphone. I copy past some content and it copies some hyperlinks i don't want.

I do want to kind of stay away from RPG terms here. They aren't consistent across systems and are often inaccurate. Like the language barrier issue we've hit in the past, ineffective terms tend to muddy things.

Well, I've never seen anything referred to as a Light Axe before. Though to be honest, I suppose the capitalization and linking to MERP descriptions threw me.

And short bow is another term I've only ever seen in RPGs.

It is similar to the longsword issue. In English, longsword is used to describe a two-handed sword, where some other European languages describe it differently.

hmm... maybe another time the language barrier. In german a Kurzbogen, literally short bow, is more or less every bow that is not a longbow, the correct historical term would be a composite bow or skythian bow i guess... a light axe is not a technical term but just what that is: an axe that is not heavy/big. The correct term maybe would be a hatchet or one-handed axe i guess? I just tried to use non prestressed terms, but i guess i messed it up again.

hmm... maybe another time the language barrier. In german a Kurzbogen, literally short bow, is more or less every bow that is not a longbow, the correct historical term would be a composite bow or skythian bow i guess... a light axe is not a technical term but just what that is: an axe that is not heavy/big. The correct term maybe would be a hatchet or one-handed axe i guess? I just tried to use non prestressed terms, but i guess i messed it up again.

You already have my respect for being able to conduct an intelligent conversation in more than one language. If anything, I'm guilty of being a bit elitist.

Well i failed with spanish and french..,

So i will correct myself. I believe the halethrim should use one- handed war- hatches and longbow/ selfbow types as well as long bladed knifes and spear types for thrusting as well as throwing. No composite bows, no heavy battle- axes, no more advanced spear/ lance types like pilums or similar weapons.

Early hallstatt celtic or jastorf germanic weapons could be examples..

This sword could be interesting.
spartan_sword.jpg

I think so. But it would be interesting to see.

There's also the kopis, which looks like a cross between a falchion and a kukri.
AH-4111BR.png

big_ASW13.jpg

I think that if we are going to use fictional blades, we can come up with our own designs, rather than stealing someone else's. As to the falcata or kopis, I think I recommended them as early orcish blades, Haerangil.

I think that if we are going to use fictional blades, we can come up with our own designs, rather than stealing someone else's. As to the falcata or kopis, I think I recommended them as early orcish blades, Haerangil.
You suggested a xiphos for Feanor when he threatens Fingolfin.

I actually suggested the khopesh but others liked the xiphos better. The falcata is a way of making a sword that is shorter and more bent than a xiphos that is still considered an equivalent level of technology.

The suggestion for the kopis was mainly as a general suggestion, for either side. I actually do like the xiphos as Feanor’s first sword.

The xiphos is a very beautiful blade! But it is quite short... Feanors sword is described as " a mighty sword" so i would expect it to be of considerable size too..,

About kopis and khopesh again...

I think the khopesh looks far more bizarre than the kopis. Bizarre to me is analogous to orcish.

Thinking pseudo-evolutionary i would prefer it this way:

The valar do know about weapons. They do have knives, spears, bows, maces... All based on tools.

The earliest elf- weapons are imitations of these styles.

When melkor first teaches the elves to make swords these are more kopis- like.. Duilin still uses one of these archaic blades. But feanor them decides to forge a more elegant looking blade- an enlarged xiphos variant. Then the noldor all start to wear this sort of blades and the earlier, more bent models get out of use instead of another, more falchion- like model in addition to the long sword type.

Later as the noldor meet orcs and trolls , and tje ircs are starting to use chain and ring armour too, they move on to more pointed blades closer to arming sword and estoc types, able to pierce scale and splint armor ( or troll hide).

The orcs at first also use kopis- like blades, the way melkor teaches them, but they start modifying them more to their taste and get to more khopesh, bent& sawtoothed types ( or the demons of angband do first) .

Last edited:
Might and size... Well size matters. At last if you wish to get an optic effect for an audience..

Second: as the elves start to wear chainmail the orcs begin to use heavier weapons, axes, short broad spears, heavy blades.., they can't cut through elvish or dwarfish mail but hope to land trauma damage by sheer force..,

The noldor and dwarves on the other hand are at some point able to smith blades that can cut through or pierce orcish chain and scale- because they are awesome smiths and can do things we can not ( or because orcish smithcraft declines over the time and their weaponry becomes a high industrialized mass- product of lesser quality)

Last edited:
Back