House of Finarfin

Eldalotë is a Noldo; Amarië is Vanya.

Amarië has a brief cameo at the party at the end of Season 2, where she and Finrod are introduced as an unmarried couple. We are unlikely to have any time for her during the flight of the Noldor.

HOWEVER, I do expect to see her farewell to Finrod (where she refuses to follow him) in flashback at some point. Finrod will have plenty of opportunities to be pensive, and we can reveal how they parted later, after he's in Middle Earth. Galadriel should be bugging him to get married after she finds Celeborn, and he should get that sad, distant look in his eyes (cue flashback) followed by his pronouncement that nothing of his kingdom will remain for a son to inherit, so back the heck off little sis.

So, yes, very minor role. But not much more minor than Celebrían, and I think we would show her reunion with Finrod in Valinor in contrast with Finrod's tomb in Beleriand.

I could see it... here's Free:
View attachment 1020

and here's Kruger:
View attachment 1021

One could, conceivably, grow up to look like the other.

I know I'm late on this, but if there's gonna be an older Galadriel, how about Caitriona Balfe?

Honestly, from the second I first saw her in Outlander, I thought, wow, she 's got a real resemblance to Cate Blanchett, and she's actually just as tall. She's also got significant acting chops. If we don't want any legacy casting, I'd love to see her as some version of Galadriel.

I know I'm late on this, but if there's gonna be an older Galadriel, how about Caitriona Balfe?

Honestly, from the second I first saw her in Outlander, I thought, wow, she 's got a real resemblance to Cate Blanchett, and she's actually just as tall. She's also got significant acting chops. If we don't want any legacy casting, I'd love to see her as some version of Galadriel.
No we're not having two Galadriels. We have Diane Kruger:
index.php

I guess it was decided that she could play both young and older Galadriel. (Personally, I would have made a different decision, but that's the way it is. (No, Kruger is a great choice, at least for older Galadriel, but I wanted someone else to do it....))

Huh. Really? You guys know she's in her 40's as well, right? I mean, yeah she looks amazing, but having her play the elven equivalent of a teenager or twenty-something is stretching it kind of far, don't you think?

Huh. Really? You guys know she's in her 40's as well, right? I mean, yeah she looks amazing, but having her play the elven equivalent of a teenager or twenty-something is stretching it kind of far, don't you think?
I know. Those are the reasons I nominated a different actress and voted for her. But there are downsides to democracy... ;)

I know. Those are the reasons I nominated a different actress and voted for her. But there are downsides to democracy... ;)

So where do these votes occur? I see the nomination thread for Galadriel but no one voted there that I can tell.

Yeah when I first saw Balfe, I thought she'd be perfect for a Silmarillion adaptation, but then I saw she was nearing 40 herself, and considering Galadriel starts off at most as a young adult, even she would have been a bit of Holy Dawson Casting, Batman. At least for the earlier stories.

So where do these votes occur? I see the nomination thread for Galadriel but no one voted there that I can tell.

Yeah when I first saw Balfe, I thought she'd be perfect for a Silmarillion adaptation, but then I saw she was nearing 40 herself, and considering Galadriel starts off at most as a young adult, even she would have been a bit of Holy Dawson Casting, Batman. At least for the earlier stories.
There's a voting form available during a limited period.

I had put this behind me and thought I had accepted it but since you bring it up and seem to share my view, my opinion about this is strengthened. I don't think we can change anything now (but privately I'll imagine she's played by Debicki).

Yeah, I'm just late to everything here haha.

I actually try to avoid fan casting in general, because I know I'll get attached to my pick and will be disappointed, if it ever becomes a real project, in the different casting. But every so often ideas like this just come to me.

If you're curious, there is a casting thread listing who's already been decided: https://forums.signumuniversity.org/index.php?threads/cast-so-far.327/

We all have our quibbles with it, but no one cast so far, I think, isn't a good enough actor to make us forget, if this thing were ever to become a reality.

(And, since I vaguely remember being the one to suggest Kruger, I'll say this in my defense: I probably did assume we were going to cast a younger actress for the young Galadriel, with Kruger being the later 1st Age through 3rd Age actress. But makeup and digital editing can do an awful lot -- wouldn't surprise me at all if we could get her looking like her Helen of Troy days, at least)

If you're curious, there is a casting thread listing who's already been decided: https://forums.signumuniversity.org/index.php?threads/cast-so-far.327/

We all have our quibbles with it, but no one cast so far, I think, isn't a good enough actor to make us forget, if this thing were ever to become a reality.

(And, since I vaguely remember being the one to suggest Kruger, I'll say this in my defense: I probably did assume we were going to cast a younger actress for the young Galadriel, with Kruger being the later 1st Age through 3rd Age actress. But makeup and digital editing can do an awful lot -- wouldn't surprise me at all if we could get her looking like her Helen of Troy days, at least)
I don't think there's any reason to defend nominating a great actress like Kruger - but I totally get what you're saying about thinking she'd play grown up Galadriel. The thing was, she was appearing in both the frame and in the Valinor story, but I believe the casting presentation made it look like she was only in the frame. I was late to the casting session and missed the first part where the casting of the frame was presented so I couldn't react at the time, and then I felt it was kind of pointless, but I have to say, it was surprising that Corey accepted Kruger as Galadriel, since she's just 5'7" (compared to Debicki's 6' 2¾", and to our Celeborn Patrick Wilson, who is 6' 0½"). She's supposed to be tall after all, and Corey is usually concerned about those things. I can't remember the voting results but I guess Kruger must have won clearly and that would be one of the reasons the execs didn't check up how tall she is.

Last edited:
I don't actually remember if she was meant to play young Galadriel or not... I vaguely remember Corey handwaving away a few smaller roles with the idea of casting an "unknown" for the part: was the young Galadriel who refuses her hair to Feanor one of them? I'd think so...

Still don't have a firm image for her brothers, though. All of the suggestions have been perfectly acceptable, but none (not even mine) have been perfectly perfect. Anyone else have any ideas?

I don't actually remember if she was meant to play young Galadriel or not... I vaguely remember Corey handwaving away a few smaller roles with the idea of casting an "unknown" for the part: was the young Galadriel who refuses her hair to Feanor one of them? I'd think so...

Still don't have a firm image for her brothers, though. All of the suggestions have been perfectly acceptable, but none (not even mine) have been perfectly perfect. Anyone else have any ideas?
But we will need a Galadriel who's older than the kid who refuses Fëanor but younger than Kruger. We needed that last season already.

I agree that we have to do some work on the brothers.

But we will need a Galadriel who's older than the kid who refuses Fëanor but younger than Kruger. We needed that last season already.

I agree that we have to do some work on the brothers.
Remind me why we didn't think of this? Was it for having characters to cast for this season?
And what age range are we thinking for the "younger Galadriel"?

Remind me why we didn't think of this? Was it for having characters to cast for this season?
I don't know. In my mind, we did think of it and so I suggested an actress who could play Galadriel the whole time (except for the child stuff).

I definitely like casting unknowns. Don't have any particular ideas myself, as even Ms. Balfe would be a bit of stretch.

Like you said, teenager probably. Young adult at most, for her time in Valinor.

Back