NaNoWriMo 2017 -

Sparrow

Hestia of the Hearth
Who's in? Whatcha writing?

Please befriend me as GazeboGal! Late start for me, the big power-out in New England effected me greatly.

I'm working on something called Meerkats in the Diaspora... because that's what I always call my NaNoWriMo novel :)

I am! The temporary name for my novel right now is Elven Fifty Nine. It starts in Ireland and ends up...somewhere not quite in our world. I'm pantser by nature so the story is telling itself to me right now vs. the other way around. :)

I know the struggle! Conversely, I'm almost at the halfway mark a day early this year. I wish my progress in the story reflected my progress in word count, though. I can't really speak for any semblance of structure. I sense an extensive re-write. :)

Hey all,

I tried to continue the story I was writing last year, but so far all I've done is make the document into a place to put lots of stray bits of writing on all kinds of different topics. It could conceivably make sense once I write in a few minor things, like characters and a plot :)

Hi! I just made a NaNoWriMo account for the first time. Not exactly sure what to do with it.

Or, rather, a favorite author posted that she was writing a novel for NaNoWriMo so I signed up in order to see her page's blurb (that'd be this one) Then I said to myself, "oh, well, I'm here, I might as well create a project". (This, uh, by the way, in case you're wondering, is not the best motivation to get writing done.)

It's called "portals and poetry". Which is the book I wish I wrote, not an actual appropriate title for what I've written so far.

I figured out how to update a word count, and otherwise I'm... a bit at a loss as to what the site is for? I mean, is that basically it (word count motivation & bragging rights), or is there something I'm missing?

More importantly, how do you pronounce "nanowrimo"?

Last edited:
Hi! I just made a NaNoWriMo account for the first time. Not exactly sure what to do with it.

Or, rather, a favorite author posted that she was writing a novel for NaNoWriMo so I signed up in order to see her page's blurb (that'd be this one) Then I said to myself, "oh, well, I'm here, I might as well create a project". (This, uh, by the way, in case you're wondering, is not the best motivation to get writing done.)

It's called "portals and poetry". Which is the book I wish I wrote, not an actual appropriate title for what I've written so far.

I figured out how to update a word count, and otherwise I'm... a bit at a loss as to what the site is for? I mean, is that basically it (word count motivation & bragging rights), or is there something I'm missing?

More importantly, how do you pronounce "nanowrimo"?

I say "Naah Know Wry Moe"

Also, one could spend lots of time posting in various conversations.... but that takes time away from writing. I use it for the word count graph (omg, graph!!!), looking at the inspiring graphs of people whom I've befriended, the Finish/Win word count thing which usually appears on November 25, donating a little bit to the Young Writers' Project, and buying a tchatchke if I win (which I haven't for the last three years, but I'm totally OK with it - I did make it about three times, and it's absolutely wonderful to have done so :)

The great news is that according to my word count, it's now November 10th!

I've made it to November 11th, aaaaand I suspect that this year will be a bust.. Our hero has seen her first ghost, however, and is about to figure out why the ghost can't ... move on? self actualize? up and die already? Whatever it is that ghosts are not doing which keeps them here. Graduate?

And that's all good. I know what our hero has to do to lay this ghost to rest, she just doesn't know it yet. I wonder if she should interact with our shaman to get advice? This is an origin story, so it might be adorable to have them glance off one another ten years before the Big Story begins...

I like that way of putting it. For me, that's what nanowrimo achieves, which is no small thing: seeing how whatever it is you're writing and the book you wish you wrote could get a little closer to being the same thing.

Interact with the shaman!

Back