Manwë

Haakon

Administrator
Staff member
While I'm at it I might as well start a casting thread about Manwë. So, what are your thoughts? I started thinking about Keanu Reeves but wasn't too satisfied with that, and then I couldn't come up with any really good ideas. But then I googled "fancast Manwë" - and who turned up? Keanu... So - is this a bad idea or a really good one?
manwe1_by_tizzi23-d6x25m9.jpg

While I'm at it I might as well start a casting thread about Manwë. So, what are your thoughts? I started thinking about Keanu Reeves but wasn't too satisfied with that, and then I couldn't come up with any really good ideas. But then I googled "fancast Manwë" - and who turned up? Keanu... So - is this a bad idea or a really good one?
manwe1_by_tizzi23-d6x25m9.jpg
Ok - I don't know what you're thinking but after some time I've come to the conclusion that Keanu is not the one we're looking for here. We need someone who is warm, hopeful and sad, I keep seeing Ralph Fiennes.

I like Clooney but I just associate him with drama and comedy in modern and civilised settings... His acting style... I'm not sure we'd be comfortable seeing him as a Valar. But hey, I've been wrong before...

I don't know... I have always seen Gerard Butler as Beren in my mind's eye...

I imagine Manwë having this kind of... commanding presence with a hidden strenght, and at the same kind be able to seem a bit... fatherly? I don't know, I'm brainstormign in here.

Maybe Liam Neeson?

Butler has strength I think. He has played king successfully. The way the role of Manwë is evolving, I could definitely see him do it well.

Neeson is also good.

Or we could go with someone slightly younger - Rodrigo Santoro. I could see him as Olorin, as well. upload_2016-2-9_12-59-30.jpeg

What about Chen Jianbin? He has a good look for it, if costumed properly, and he pulled off the flawed emperor in Empresses in the Palace really well. chen2.jpg chen1.jpg

I don't know... I have always seen Gerard Butler as Beren in my mind's eye...

I imagine Manwë having this kind of... commanding presence with a hidden strenght, and at the same kind be able to seem a bit... fatherly? I don't know, I'm brainstormign in here.

Maybe Liam Neeson?

I can see Neeson there... He was Zeus once.

I can see Neeson there... He was Zeus once.

And Aslan ;)

As for George Clooney, I think not - does he take roles where he doesn't wear a suit? (I mean...he must...right?) Quick look at imdb...oh, of course, he just took the role of Caesar in a comedy, so it is possible to get him in a toga. And he was in a prison suit in O Brother, Where Art Thou? I still don't see him as Manwë, though.

And NO to Keanu Reeves. We have no need for Manwë to be standing atop Taniquetil saying, 'Woah.'

There was some discussion of considering casting Manwë as a Native American as the inspiration for his costume is coming from that cultural background.

Last edited:
Well, the execs have talked about Aulë looking like a Dwarf, which would be quite far from Isaac.

Or we could have our dwarves look like Oscar Isaac ;) No, I agree that we'd want someone a bit stockier for Aulë.

Back