Session 1.15

I really look forward to see Gothmog and Mairon/Sauron vying for control in Melkor's absence. We need to establish at some point some scene where Mairon shows his clear superiority as a planner vs. Gothmog more head-on approach.

Haakon, your detailed plot is pretty good for Episode 12. There are probably some different nuances that could shape those scenes in different ways, but I think the overall flow of events works.

Ending with Eonwë imprisoned and Melkor first learning about the Children should create plenty of cliffhanger tension to lead us into the season finale. I am fine with saving Eonwë's escape for the next episode, and tying his escape to the arrival of the Eagles in some way. But I do like, very much, that this makes Eonwë's fight with Gothmog very personal, and not the last time we will see torture in Melkor's dungeons.

Also, by having Mairon be the messenger, we clearly show him choosing a side - if he finds the Children first, he had the choice to inform the Valar or to inform Melkor. So, it's a definitive moment in his storyline as well.

Varda's stars and the arrival of the Eagles are also good 'the Children are coming!' signs that everyone should see now....fitting out timeline well.

I think one area where it is a bit weak/vague is Manwë's role. He seems to be very passive. But obviously some well-chosen dialogue could clear that up.

The tour of the dungeon allows us to show the tension between Melkor and Manwë well. It is imperative to me that Eonwë is in no way shocked to be taken prisoner. As soon as Gothmog appears, he knows what is up, but goes along with it to learn all he can of his enemy. He can express outrage over Melkor's 'torture the messenger' approach, but not shock and surprise. It is a pet peeve of mine when good guys, who are otherwise perfectly clever, fall for obvious traps because they are shocked, shocked I tell you, that the bad guy would betray them. If the audience reaction to Eonwë's imprisonment is to cringe out of embarrassment for his stupidity, we're doing it wrong. I bring this up because I know we are emphasizing the innocence of the Valar this season.

Haakon, your detailed plot is pretty good for Episode 12. There are probably some different nuances that could shape those scenes in different ways, but I think the overall flow of events works.

Ending with Eonwë imprisoned and Melkor first learning about the Children should create plenty of cliffhanger tension to lead us into the season finale. I am fine with saving Eonwë's escape for the next episode, and tying his escape to the arrival of the Eagles in some way. But I do like, very much, that this makes Eonwë's fight with Gothmog very personal, and not the last time we will see torture in Melkor's dungeons.

Also, by having Mairon be the messenger, we clearly show him choosing a side - if he finds the Children first, he had the choice to inform the Valar or to inform Melkor. So, it's a definitive moment in his storyline as well.

Varda's stars and the arrival of the Eagles are also good 'the Children are coming!' signs that everyone should see now....fitting out timeline well.

I think one area where it is a bit weak/vague is Manwë's role. He seems to be very passive. But obviously some well-chosen dialogue could clear that up.

The tour of the dungeon allows us to show the tension between Melkor and Manwë well. It is imperative to me that Eonwë is in no way shocked to be taken prisoner. As soon as Gothmog appears, he knows what is up, but goes along with it to learn all he can of his enemy. He can express outrage over Melkor's 'torture the messenger' approach, but not shock and surprise. It is a pet peeve of mine when good guys, who are otherwise perfectly clever, fall for obvious traps because they are shocked, shocked I tell you, that the bad guy would betray them. If the audience reaction to Eonwë's imprisonment is to cringe out of embarrassment for his stupidity, we're doing it wrong. I bring this up because I know we are emphasizing the innocence of the Valar this season.
Yes, Manwë is a bit passive. Or he seems passive. But he isn't indecisive. He is surfing on the tide of the events. After his vision, he sees things for what they are. Melkor is going to drive the Valar to war. He does not let this force him into changing his own peaceful nature however. He goes all in, generously offering Melkor a place at his side. He knows that this is a test.

Yes, I agree, Eonwë is no fool. He knows what's happening.

Oh, that is a good thought! But I think we were planning to save the Sauron name-change for much later.....like when he rules Tol Sirion after stealing it from Finrod 3 seasons from now.

I agree though that Melkor's defeat should seem final and tidy, and knowing that Gothmog and Mairon/Sauron survive and Angband is undiscovered should make the audience draw some conclusions about the passing of the torch.

We could always do both. Melkor could give Mairon his new name but it is a long time before he publicly declares himself as Sauron. It seems like the way it's laid out, Sauron would probably be assigned to Angband and not directly participate in the War (or at least remain disguised). The Valar could believe that Melkor has no direct successor or that Gothmog or Thuringwethil took over. Mairon might even pretend to be on good terms with the Valar for the next couple of seasons, even if/while Sauron is secretly in charge of Angband.

I do kind of like the idea of the Valar being at least partially unaware of the betrayal of Mairon. It could even seem as though he was just lost in the shuffle of the war itself. By the way, I think that as a general outline, Haakon has nailed it. We might as well not even have a broadcast this Friday. :)

I think one of the strands that leads the Valar to declare war should be Eonwe discovering or it being revealed to him that the beings behind the destruction of the lamps are being given refuge in Uttumno and that Melkor is accepting and indeed supporting their actions. The war should definitely resolve this issue once and for all so we can feel that things are well and truly wrapped up for Season 1.

We also have to have the kindling of the stars in episode 12. I think that could happen when Mairon evades the Eagles and when he is hearing sounds near Cuiviénen.

I think MithLuin that we could either cut before or after Eonwë relinquishes his body. It depends on whether we want to have an ingredient of hope for him or not.

Howdy!

I was thinking on the orc question during the last podcast.

In Jim Butcher's "Dresden Files", Queen Mab tortures the White Knight to the extreme. She then stops, shows him kindness and tenderness. He starts longing for those moments. Mixed between wanting to die and loving Mab. Butcher did a great job describing this.

So my thinking is...

What if Morgoth does the same thing (with Sauron's aid) towards the elves they kidnap. If I understand oaths correctly, Couldn't Morgoth/Sauron get the orcs to take an Feanor style of oath, basically condemning them? Couldn't also this explain the orcs confusion when they are not feeling the will of Morgoth/Sauron?

I think one of the strands that leads the Valar to declare war should be Eonwe discovering or it being revealed to him that the beings behind the destruction of the lamps are being given refuge in Uttumno and that Melkor is accepting and indeed supporting their actions. The war should definitely resolve this issue once and for all so we can feel that things are well and truly wrapped up for Season 1.
I agree, I have said this earlier. That used to be in earlier sketches of my outline for episode 12, but now it has been pushed to the beginning of episode 13.

Last edited:
Are we going to have a ot of frame in episode 13? Perhaps not so much in episode 12, and then maybe start episode 13 with a longer sequence of frame scenes, to wrap those things up? Estel learning of his heritage to some degree, Gilraen and Elrond... And in such a way that it connects to the Valar going to war. We need to do some thinking about that.
For Estel, I was thinking that he could get some weapons training. He is young, but if you are going to be good, you have to start early. This would raise a lot of questions about killing, war, showing mercy etc. The necessity to start this training could come from the fact that he has this heritage. It could connect to Eonwë being tortured, and to the valar going to war. An alternative could be that Estel is allowed to go with Elladan and Elrohir on a hunt.

Back on the discussion board for session 1.10 I made this comment:

I know this is getting ahead, but I think just before Melkor is chained, he and Mairon should have a moment when Mairon's name changes to Sauron and he is entrusted with keeping things running until Melkor returns (Melkor has every intention of returning) to keep away from the danger MithLuin mentioned of Sauron getting too big for his britches. If Melkor relinquishes his realm rather than having it taken from him that could make all the difference to Sauron making a later takeover bid.

There need to be lots of little things that will allow Melkor to be pardoned in Season 2. The Valar leaving Middle Earth to its own devices, the Valar then being the aggressors and declaring war on him, Melkor giving himself up (to prevent any further losses on his side) and his words to Mairon that prove that he is the one who is being wronged and convince Mairon to give his allegiance. In a way Melkor is making a self sacrifice which is the highest form of valour and becomes a martyr of sorts.
Despite this it would be good to show that Melkor is making huge preparations in anticipation of being attacked, and even though the Valar are the ones who declare war, it is actually Melkor's forces that attack first. Technically Manwe and the Valar are the aggressors, but their attack on the host of Valinor shows otherwise and Melkor's forces can always claim that they were just defending themselves.

Yes if we go to the moment of armed conflict at Utumno, I think we could define the goal of the Valar host as bringing Melkor out of Middle-earth. They mean to do this by showing force. First they call him out to surrender. He refuses two calls and on the third call he attacks, with balrogs.

Yes if we go to the moment of armed conflict at Utumno, I think we could define the goal of the Valar host as bringing Melkor out of Middle-earth. They mean to do this by showing force. First they call him out to surrender. He refuses two calls and on the third call he attacks, with balrogs.
I see the war being a bit more drawn out.
Following up on the elemental attacks mentioned on the previous thread I envisage the host of Valinor setting off over the Belegar (the sea between Valinor and Middle Earth) and being attacked by watery Maiar that are subdued by Osse and Uinen. When they make landfall earth maiar attack and are subdues by Aule and Curinir, followed by wind attacks subdued by Manwe and his maiar. The last and most deadly would be fire attacks from the balrogs (you don't bring in the big guns first) and then a free for all.

I absolutely love the idea of orcs with free will. As soon as I heard Dr Olsen talk about this I was reminded of Sam overhearing Shagrat and Gorbag's conversation in Shelob's lair.
They said "What d'you say? - if we get a chance, you and me'll slip off and set up somewhere on our own with a few trusty lads, somewhere where there's good loot nice and handy, and no big bosses."
It is a long way off, but during the second age when the orcs get the call from Sauron it would be good to see them in a little farming village making lives for themselves, and raiding a bit like vikings. It would also be good when we spend a little time in orc culture to have little conversations like Gorbag and Shagrat's alluding to the possibility of orc villages out there somewhere where there are no bosses doing things on their own. It is the orc Utopia.
Orcs with free will .......... bring it on!!

Been thinking about the constellations too. I know astronomy, and because this is our world and our stars being described if anyone can translate the names, I can make a good guess as to what they represent. I was even wondering if some of the names represent planets. They are:
Wilwarin
Telumendil
Soronume
Anarrima

Of course I know that Menelmacar is Orion and Valarcirca is the sickle or Ursa Minor taking in Polaris.

I see the war being a bit more drawn out.
Following up on the elemental attacks mentioned on the previous thread I envisage the host of Valinor setting off over the Belegar (the sea between Valinor and Middle Earth) and being attacked by watery Maiar that are subdued by Osse and Uinen. When they make landfall earth maiar attack and are subdues by Aule and Curinir, followed by wind attacks subdued by Manwe and his maiar. The last and most deadly would be fire attacks from the balrogs (you don't bring in the big guns first) and then a free for all.
Maybe, I'm not totally against it. I picture it more concentrated on Utumno. After all, they need to contain the damage and the main problem is Melkor - they probably think that various Maiar who have gone bad can be swung back to the right path. Some minor attacks or skirmishes could take place before they reach Utumno, but remember that this is the first war. The objective is to get rid of Melkor. That is the focus of it all. The rest is secondary. You can see that also in the fact that they miss Angband and don't get any of the Balrogs.

Been thinking about the constellations too. I know astronomy, and because this is our world and our stars being described if anyone can translate the names, I can make a good guess as to what they represent. I was even wondering if some of the names represent planets. They are:
Wilwarin
Telumendil
Soronume
Anarrima

Of course I know that Menelmacar is Orion and Valarcirca is the sickle or Ursa Minor taking in Polaris.
I think Wilwarin is Cassiopeia.
Soronume means Eagle of the west, but I don't know which star constellation it is supposed to represent.

Remmirath = the Netted Stars, and is commonly identified as the Pleiades. I think this can be included in this 'phase 2' star-making, though not mentioned on the list. Wilwarin = Butterfly, and I agree is likely meant to be Cassiopeia.
Planets in Quenya include: Eärendil "Venus", Carnil "Mars", and Alcarinquë "Jupiter" and the elves were aware that these 'wandering stars' were different from the others. Obviously no Morning Star yet!

http://folk.uib.no/hnohf/vocab.htm

Also, the Sickle of the Valar is Ursa Major, not Ursa Minor, to the best of my knowledge:
Valacirca noun "Sickle of the Gods", a name of the Great Bear (Big Dipper) constellation (SA:val-, MR:388, KIRIK, OT/OTOS/OTOK)

Telumendil
is trickier. My first assumption would be that this is meant to be Telumehtar, another name for Orion. Otherwise, the name seems to mean 'sky-canopy' which would not be a star or constellation.

Telimbectar ("k") noun,name of constellation:"Orion", lit. "Swordsman of Heaven". Also Telimectar ("k"). (LT1:268; in Tolkien's later Quenya Telumehtar, q.v. The combination ct is not found in LotR-style Quenya.)

telimbo noun "canopy, sky" (LT1:268)
telluma noun "dome, copula", especially the "Dome of Varda" over Valinor, but also applied to the domes of the mansion of Manwë and Varda upon Taniquetil. Adopted from Valarin delgūmāunder the influence of pure Quenya telumë (WJ:399, 411). Pl. tellumar is attested (Nam, RGEO:66).

But Encyclopedia of Arda has this to offer:

It is not known for sure which modern constellation corresponds to Telumendil. The similarity of the name to Telumehtar, a name for Orion, is misleading: we can be sure that Telumendil was definitely a distinct pattern of stars. In The Silmarillion, it's named between Wilwarin (modern Cassiopeia) and Soronúmë (probably Aquila, the Eagle). If this order corresponds to the appearance of the constellations in the sky (which is far from certain) then Telumendil would probably correspond to Cygnus the Swan, perhaps viewed as a figure with outstretched arms, as an explanation for the name 'friend of the dome of the heavens'.

Not that Anarríma is any better. Anarríma name of a constellation: *"Sun-border"??? (Silm; cf. ríma) Ríma means "edge, hem, border"

Tolkien Gateway is hesitant to identify it:
Anarríma is not identifiable with an actual constellation. The word ríma might refer to the Corona Borealis (the Northern Crown) or the Great Square of Pegasus, easily recognized from its four bright stars.

For anyone interested, there is this 2003 essay on the topic:
http://c.ymcdn.com/sites/www.ips-planetarium.org/resource/resmgr/pdf-articles/elvish.pdf

Last edited:
Phillip, yes, I was thinking of that conversation, too! That's the closest Tolkien gets to showing us what the orcs would do on their own, and it's still rather 'plunder, loot, burn' but has a bit more of a village and less of a military vibe.

Of course, the speakers then fight to the death over Frodo's mithril coat, so....

It would be interesting if we could have one of the Valar have something like Sam's epiphany regarding the dead Southron...but concerning orcs:

It was Sam's first view of a battle of Men against Men, and he did not like it much. He was glad that he could not see the dead face. He wondered what the man's name was and where he came from; and if he was really evil of heart, or what lies or threats had led him on the long march from his home; and if he would not really rather have stayed there in peace - all in a flash of thought that was quickly driven from his mind.​

Interestingly, the Valar are mentioned in this very passage, as Damrod says 'May the Valar turn him aside!' about the rampaging war oliphant.

Another insight of Sam's is applicable to our conversation concerning the passive nature of Manwë. This was at the Black Gate, when Frodo has warned Gollum not to even think that he might get the Precious back some day - and followed up with a threat.

"You will never get it back. In the last need, Sméagol, I should put on the Precious; and the Precious mastered you long ago. If I, wearing it, were to command you, you would obey, even if it were to leap from a precipice or to cast yourself into the fire. And such would be my command. So have a care, Sméagol!"

Sam looked at his master with approval, but also with surprise: there was a look on his face and a tone in his voice that he had not known before. It had always been a notion of his that the kindness of dear Mr. Frodo was of such a high degree that it must imply a fair measure of blindness. Of course, he also firmly held the incompatible belief that Mr. Frodo was the wisest person in the world (with the possible exception of Old Mr. Bilbo and of Gandalf). Gollum in his own way, and with much more excuse, as his acquaintance was much briefer, may have made a similar mistake, confusing kindness and blindness. At any rate this speech abashed and terrified him. He grovelled on the ground and could speak no clear words but nice master.​

We must show that Manwë is not blind; that he does not miss the obvious problems under his nose. His willingness to grant another chance, to try so hard for peace, is not because he is unaware of Melkor's wrong-doing. If he is accused of 'blindness' or inaction, he should speak in such a way that makes it quite clear he is aware of the situation.

Back