Spider Caves of Northern Ered Luin

Haakon

Administrator
Staff member
(This is not a RPG supplement but the place where Ungoliant's children live before they are discovered by Sauron's people and he and Shelob makes a deal.)
This place is barren and devoid of life, since the spiders have eaten everything.
It was harder than I thought it would be to find good pictures of spider caves. But here are some inspirational pics:
download.jpg a104d95a5bb04b0341bd089f230eb84e.jpg 4abd350f6c2c427751737e403677728a.jpg Gaucelmus augustinus Web Trench Cave Closeup(1).jpg

I like the pics but... did i miss something?

In the books the struggle between melkor and ungolianth occurs in lammoth, west of thangorodrim, after the fight she flees southeast and eventually hides in dorthonion, where she breeds with other, unspecified great spiders.

How do their offspring get to the ered luin?

In short: Corey wanted the spiders in southern Beleriand before attacking Doriath and then after that they would end up in Nan Dungortheb. He thought it would be boring if they were so close to Doriath all along, I believe. I felt that southern Beleriand would be problematic and suggested the northern Ered Luin would be better.

I like the pics but... did i miss something?

In the books the struggle between melkor and ungolianth occurs in lammoth, west of thangorodrim, after the fight she flees southeast and eventually hides in dorthonion, where she breeds with other, unspecified great spiders.

How do their offspring get to the ered luin?
They take a long walk.

Back