Session 4.02 - Season 4 Episode Outlines

Galadriel's arc is tricky - I feel she's being pulled in multiple directions, and I'm not sure what to make of them.

Part of me wants her to completely dismiss Celeborn on their first meeting - just write him off as useless. And then, during their second interaction, she realizes that his tendency to keep his mouth shut is more...more about the wisdom of only speaking when it's needed, not about being too stupid to have any thoughts of his own.

So, let's see...
The earliest they could possibly meet would be Episode 2, since he is in Círdan's group. I feel like Galadriel would be thrilled/fascinated to meet the Sindar, and she could be involved in some way in the overcoming of the language barrier. I don't want to go too far into 'seek out new life and new civilizations' with her, but still, that sense of wonder should be shown by *someone* at this point in the story, and she's a good candidate. Perhaps Celeborn could make some faux pas that makes him look like an idiot to the Noldor? Something he just doesn't know or understand about their culture?

Then, in Episode 3, we'd have their *real* meeting, where they have a conversation and she recognizes his wisdom. Perhaps he speaks of Thingol and Melian, and awakens her desire to visit Doriath. Maybe Celeborn stayed behind while Círdan travelled back to Doriath with Angrod?

Episode 4 would have her going to Doriath becoming Melian's pupil. She would recognize in Melian the kind of Queen she's always wanted to be. Celeborn...likely would not be involved in this decision.

Episode 5 would be the Feast. She would reunite with Celeborn there and talk with him. It's on the coast now (Vinyamar), so easy enough for them to have a conversation looking out to sea or at the ships of the Sindar. She could convey a sense of sadness and regret for what happened when they left Valinor, without saying exactly what happened. Celeborn can read between the lines and realizes that there is a story there.

Episode 6 would have Galadriel (the conversation with Celeborn fresh in her mind), confiding in Melian about the Darkening of Valinor - about how Morgoth destroyed the Trees, slew Finwë, and stole Fëanor's silmarils. She doesn't touch on the Kinslaying or Shipburning just yet, figuring that the important wrongs are those committed by Morgoth (who lives), rather than Fëanor (who is dead).

....and then for some reason in Episode 12 Galadriel and Celeborn get married. I really don't know how to build up their relationship, but they're both living in Menegroth, and they're both dealing with the fallout of soured Sindar/Noldor relations.

....and then for some reason in Episode 12 Galadriel and Celeborn get married. I really don't know how to build up their relationship, but they're both living in Menegroth, and they're both dealing with the fallout of soured Sindar/Noldor relations.

I feel like the only one championing this, but if Celeborn knows about Kinslaying early, but doesn't tattle... That goes a long way. Gives us quite a few scenes. First of all the confession, then him keeping silent, and then later him getting in trouble about it. Lots of chances for him to... show his quality, if you will.

I’m not going to accept Celeborn being presented as a nerd or making a fool of himself. He might be a boring character, but not because he’s a nobody but because he’s a good guy.

Now in the PubSil, Galadriel stays in Doriath very much because she and Celeborn are in love, which happens long before her confession to Melian. So their marriage certainly doesn’t happen out of the blue.

I’ve already suggested a way for them to fall in love that I personally find perfectly acceptable. If it’s not to everyone’s taste, I’m sure we can come up with another story that works. It’s obvious that there aren’t a lot of obstacles.

Okay, fair. I know that Galadriel is supposed to be a good judge of character, so it's okay for her to like him right away.

My issue is that the audience knows they get married and live for thousands of years together. They were both in the Season 2 frame. So...what is the surprise or interest in showing their love story? There has to be something to it that is interesting even if you know how it will turn out. Doesn't mean it has to be comedic, of course.

I know that 'he makes a fool of himself' is too cliche. I just don't know what to do instead.

There is a huge age gap. He is several generations and many thousands of years older than her. So, she will seem young to him. Perhaps that is where the emphasis should be - on him recognizing her character rather than on her falling for him? I don't want to do the Pride and Prejudice thing, either.

Haakon, far from vetoing your idea, I tried to include that in my summary - that Celeborn and Galadriel have a serious conversation at the Feast with the ships and sea as the backdrop. I realize that you and Amysrevenge would like that conversation to be more confessional - to include the actual kinslaying. Certainly, that is a possibility.

To me it’s not important that she confesses to him, more that he sees her pain and handles that in a considerate way. I could accept a version of Amysrevenge’s idea but I’m reluctant to stray too far from the process that’s described in the book. An alternative could be that she shows him something telepathically, just a few images, not the whole truth, but that would also be strange in her character. She’s so proud, and that usually doesn’t match with telling people about your faults (or crimes!)

Last edited:
I can tell you more clearly where I'm coming from here with my Celeborn knows but doesn't say thing. It started from a desire to reform/improve/redeem Celeborn. This would be something important for him to do, on his own, that would affect things. But the reason it sticks with me is that it is a way to add stakes (and reasons to be on-screen) to their budding relationship.

The age difference is something to go on, and also your point about the children of Finarfin marrying Sindar. Of all the leading Sindar we have in our story, Celeborn has to be the best match for Galadriel - Mablung and Beleg aren’t quite her type, while Celeborn is enough of a prince to be acceptable to the royal Noldor princess.

I agree that we have to give Celeborn important things to do on his own, I’m just not sure it’s that.

Here is what I currently have for the Season. Obviously, things can be moved around or rewritten as needed.

Season 4 Overview

Episode 1

The Host of Fingolfin and the Host of Fëanor are encamped on opposite sides of the lake. The atmosphere is tense. Maglor is an indecisive leader who feels trapped - unable to leave, unable to treat with Morgoth, unable to save his brother. Fingolfin's people are angry, but Fingolfin is dealing with the news that...Fëanor is dead. Morgoth darkens the sky. Fingon leaves. Fingon, with a harp and a song and prayer (and the help of Thorondor) rescues Maedhros from the cliff. They return to the camp.

Telchar makes Narsil? Eöl reintroduced? Something in Doriath?

Episode 2

Círdan arrives on the scene as an emissary of the Sindar. There is a language barrier and much confusion, but still some greeting of long-lost relatives. Some older members of the Noldor's host might remember Círdan or Celeborn? They sort out their confusion to at least answer the question 'why are you here? how?' The Noldor give a vague answer...'To fight that!' and point to Thangorodrim.

Meanwhile, Maedhros has recuperated from his ordeal and gets the Fëanoreans in line. They are not all happy to see him again, but Maglor is relieved and Amras is whatever-passes-for-overjoyed-in-a-chronically-depressed-person. Maedhros discusses what he owes Fingon with Maglor only.

The Noldor have a convocation(?) to discuss leadership. It is expected that the Host of Fingolfin will select Fingolfin and the Host of Fëanor will select Maedhros and there will be a permanent split into two separate people. Maedhros surprises them all (well, not Maglor or Fingon) by declaring Fingolfin the heir of Finwë and thus ceding his own claim as his father's heir. [Ie, he'll never use the name Nelyafinwë again....] Fingolfin is acclaimed as High King by all the Noldor

The bad guys are very much alarmed by Thorondor's involvement in Maedhros' rescue. Morgoth suspects that the Second Children have awoken?

Episode 3

Círdan prepares to send his news to Thingol, and intends to bring a spokesman of the Noldor with him. Finrod sends his younger brother Angrod, with advice and warnings about being a diplomat and watching what he says. Angrod might be quite angry and have personal grievances against the Fëanoreans, but now is not the time for that. Galadriel and Celeborn (who have both stayed behind) meet and discuss Doriath.

When Thingol hears the news of the arrival of the Noldor in Middle-earth, he is surprised. He sees how well armed the Noldor who entered Doriath are, and he has some concerns, but he greets them courteously and invites them to make themselves at home, while respecting the Sindar who were there first.

Angrod brings this message back to the Noldor and they hear it in conference. Caranthir is immediately angry, and wants to know who said Angrod could speak for all of them? Maedhros throws him out, and then flippantly dismisses Thingol's 'permission' by saying 'a king is he who can hold his own.' He clearly sees Thingol as ruler of Doriath, not Beleriand.

Fingolfin gives the Noldor some kingly advice about establishing themselves in Beleriand and staying on good terms with the Sindar.

Maedhros decides that the Fëanoreans will need to go to the East. It's the area that's hardest to defend from Morgoth, and it's far away from everyone else. He says goodbye to Fingon before they go, and they have some meaningful conversation about the hand that was cut off and the rescue that was supposed to be a mercy killing.

Episode 4

Of Beleriand and its realms. Lots of building.

But more importantly, Galadriel goes to Doriath to become Melian's pupil. Círdan returns to the havens.

Eöl is outraged at his new Noldor neighbors.

Death of Norn?

Establish courts and see the first Noldor/Sindar interactions. Rumors about the arrival of the Noldor spread through the Sindar.

Morgoth (or Sauron) finds Men in the East

Episode 5

Feast of Reuniting in Nevrast. Turgon's court hosts Fingolfin's party. Attendees include: Maedhros, Maglor, Beleg, Mablung, all of the princes of the Noldor from Fingolfin’s camp, many Sindar, Círdan, Celeborn. NOT attending are Thingol, Eöl, the other sons of Fëanor, any dwarves? (Telchar? Norn?)

A 'false peace' exists, as the Sindar don't know the truth about the Noldor, and the lack of activity from Angband makes some people consider the sun to have conquered Morgoth's orcs. During the Feast, Finrod makes his statement about never marrying, and an oath he will one day swear. Also, Celeborn and Galadriel have a heart-to-heart while looking out over the ships in the harbor. Galadriel reveals some of the darkness that is over the Noldor, but focuses on the personal tragedy of having lost her mother. Celeborn is a good listener (and remembers the loss of his own family to the Hunter?)

Orodreth meets a lovely Sinda lady.

Episode 6

Galadriel tells Melian the truth of the Darkening of Valinor - that Morgoth killed the Trees and killed Finwë and stole Fëanor’s silmarils.

Melian shares the pertinent parts of this with Thingol, who is bothered, but does not think it too serious to continue on in friendship with the Noldor (who after all have a common enemy).

Eöl requests permission to call Nan Elmoth his own. Thingol says he is free to choose any land outside of Doriath, but Nan Elmoth belongs to him.

Orodreth marries a lovely Sinda woman whom he met at the Feast at the Pools of Ivrin.

When Thingol confronts Angrod about his less-than-full tale of the flight of the Noldor, Angrod confesses the Kinslaying. After all, he has no reason to protect the Fëanoreans from the truth of their own misdeeds.

Episode 7

Eöl makes swords with the intent of purchasing what Thingol will not give freely. Telchar sees these swords and is disturbed by the darkness of them.

Thingol bans the speaking of Quenya and wearing of jewels, saying that those who do so are kinslayers unrepentant. Círdan and Thingol mourn the death of Olwë.

Fingolfin as High King accepts the terms of the ban. He finds it more important to keep peace with their new neighbors than to protect their own culture. He’s fine with speaking Sindarin and who needs to wear jewels, anyway?

Episode 8

Gothmog unleashes a huge army of orcs on the north.

All the good guys must unite to fight back the assault.

The Dagor Aglareb!

Forgiveness so they can work together to protect their lands is wise.

Episode 9

Fingolfin sets up the Siege of Angband to last forever.

Finrod and Turgon receive dream messages from Ulmo warning that the peace will not last.

Eöl purchases Nan Elmoth from Thingol with a sword.

Morgoth and/or Sauron returns from the East and debriefs

Episode 10

Finrod visits Galadriel in Menegroth and seeks Thingol’s help.

Thingol tells him about the caves of Narog and sets up a meeting with the dwarves to aid him. Petty-dwarves driven out of Nargothrond (by dwarves)

Ulmo shows Turgon the vale of Tumladen.

Celegorm, Curufin, and Caranthir ‘accidentally’ hunt Petty-dwarves in the East.

Amras is anti-social on Amon Ereb.

Morgoth makes dragons.

Episode 11

Finrod works on building Nargothrond. Dwarves name him ‘Felagund’

Caranthir meets the dwarves of the Blue Mountains; luckily, they’re okay with killing the faithless petty-dwarves.

Turgon builds Gondolin in secret. (Aredhel stays behind with Idril in Nevrast?)

Círdan rebuilds the Havens with the help of the Noldor. Finrod builds Barad Nimras to guard the sea. Círdan expresses his desire to continue to work with them and help them in their times of need despite the Kinslaying. He does not want to do Morgoth’s work for him.

Episode 12

Turgon moves his people from Vinyamar/Nevrast to Tumladen in secret.

Galadriel marries Celeborn.

Nargothrond complete. Young Zirak presents the Nauglamir to Finrod.

Villains make a cryptic reference to Men.

Episode 13

Young Glaurung escapes Angband and devastates the north (particularly Ard Galen). Angrod and Aegnor fall back to Dorthonion. Fingon fights Glaurung back to Angband.

Turgon stays safely in Gondolin and does not fight.
Thingol stays safely in Doriath and does not fight.
Eöl stays safely in Nan Elmoth and does not fight.

Telchar makes her last work - the Dragon-helm - and gifts it to Azaghâl.

Morgoth is furious that Glaurung was revealed too soon. Heads roll.

Great!

I think that in e6, we can’t have Galadriel telling about the Silmarils and Angrod telling everything in the same episode. The Angrod scene has to have a buildup with rumours, and I really can’t see all of those elements being crammed into an hour.

Regarding the Feast: I’m for it but I just want to point out that we’re digressing from the PubSil if we let more Sindar than Beleg and Mablung go. (Also: No Dwarves!)

About the idea that Galadriel shows Celeborn an image: I find it a little bit problematic. Why does she tell someone she's just met this picture? Ok, it could work if they're already in love. Only then.
But then, why does she show him just a part of the story? It would be like lying. Why would she lie to a man she's just fallen in love with? Ok, it would work if he stops her, or if she doesn't have the power to continue... No, not the latter, that's not Galadriel. So only if he stops her. But then, why show her the death of her mother? It seems manipulative, doesn't it? What other images could she show him? Maybe just herself, images of herself crying at the death of someone not shown, or struggling on the Helcaraxë.
So maybe it can be done but those problems will have to be dealt with. I'm not sure my suggestions are any good, perhaps it's too difficult and we have to let the whole thing go.

It's easy to have any discussion last exactly as long as you want. You can come up with any number of ways, either within the conversation or from external events, to cut off any conversation at any point you like.

Anyway, maybe he starts it, with memories of Cuivienen and the Hunter. She hasn't heard much of this, as the survivors across the sea don't talk about it much. And she begins to share her own trauma, more than even is wise, and then is stopped before going all the way (either by her own judgement, or Celeborn halting her, or by one of her dopey brothers walking in, or a sudden rain storm, or...).

It's not like Celeborn is a complete stranger to her at the Feast. They have met several times. They first meet in Ep 2 and Celeborn stays with her during Ep 3 and then they travel to Doriath together right?
So what if he sees her at the Feast watching out over the ships in the water. He sees that she's troubled. He starts to tell about his own loss to the "hunter" and wants to know what she's thinking about. She has lost her mother she tells him. "I don't want to talk about it"... She shows him a quick image of her with blood on her hands. She looks sad on him.

Hmmm. Do we want our 'reveal' of the kinslaying to Thingol to be a climax at the end of an episode, or do we want it to happen early in an episode, and then everyone reacts to that?

Because I can see it fitting at the very end of Episode 6, or at the beginning of Episode 7, but it would play differently. Keep in mind that this is not a reveal to the audience, so the tension is all in how Thingol (and the other Sindar) react.

Alternately...do we need another episode between the Feast and the Dagor Aglareb? We're saving Nargothrond and Gondolin for later in the season, but I will freely admit that Episode 4 is currently a 'filler' episode, as the Melian & Galadriel storyline is the only point of interest there. It may be possible to smush everything that is currently in 4 into 3 or 5, freeing up another episode to go in the 6-7 space.

Hmmm. Do we want our 'reveal' of the kinslaying to Thingol to be a climax at the end of an episode, or do we want it to happen early in an episode, and then everyone reacts to that?

Because I can see it fitting at the very end of Episode 6, or at the beginning of Episode 7, but it would play differently. Keep in mind that this is not a reveal to the audience, so the tension is all in how Thingol (and the other Sindar) react.

Alternately...do we need another episode between the Feast and the Dagor Aglareb? We're saving Nargothrond and Gondolin for later in the season, but I will freely admit that Episode 4 is currently a 'filler' episode, as the Melian & Galadriel storyline is the only point of interest there. It may be possible to smush everything that is currently in 4 into 3 or 5, freeing up another episode to go in the 6-7 space.
Who will we have to figure out the Kinslaying? And then have Thingol find out in Episode 7 from whoever figured it out and the fallout is spread over Episode 7.

It's not like Celeborn is a complete stranger to her at the Feast. They have met several times. They first meet in Ep 2 and Celeborn stays with her during Ep 3 and then they travel to Doriath together right?
So what if he sees her at the Feast watching out over the ships in the water. He sees that she's troubled. He starts to tell about his own loss to the "hunter" and wants to know what she's thinking about. She has lost her mother she tells him. "I don't want to talk about it"... She shows him a quick image of her with blood on her hands. She looks sad on him.
Yes...Something like this could work!

I think an episode could begin with the rumours among the Sindar, lead up to the Angrod total reveal and end with reactions and beginning of consequences. The episode before should end with Galadriel’s Silmaril reveal.

Back