Bard of Dale

Ange1e4e5

Bard is another Frame character. The King of Dale, known for slaying Smaug, as well as his grim features and spirit. He is another belligerent in the events surrounding Erebor, where the Season 4 Frame will revolve around.

My first impulse would be to recast Luke Evans as Bard, but there has been some backlash against having the actors from Peter Jackson’s Lord of the Rings and Hobbit trilogies.

I think Tom Hardy can play Bard. He’s going to be an older version of the man we see in The Hobbit, and looking grizzled and grim is in his repertoire.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0362766/
Tom Hardy
Height: 5’9”
Roles: Lance Twombly in Black Hawk Down, Heathcliff in Wuthering Heights (2009), Charles Bronson in Bronson, Bane in The Dark Knight Rises, Max Rockatansky in Mad Max: Fury Road Reggie and Ronald Kray in Legend, John Fitzgerald in The Revenant, Eddie Brock/Venom in Venom

Without facial hair
tom-hardy.jpg

Varying degrees of facial hair
ca6f0e493c2c4510957a750c1bf3ae9c.png

12638369-low_res-taboo.jpg

Last edited:
I want Hardy to play Beren, but I think this direction is right. I’ll look for someone else.

Something to consider: Should we go for a younger actor and make him look older in this season's frame, so he can look his real age when we do 'The Hobbit'? But then, the age difference isn't that big. You imply that there should be a visible difference, but it's just a few years, right?

Something to consider: Should we go for a younger actor and make him look older in this season's frame, so he can look his real age when we do 'The Hobbit'? But then, the age difference isn't that big. You imply that there should be a visible difference, but it's just a few years, right?
Yeah, only a few years. Though, it isn’t described how old Bard is in The Hobbit...

Yeah so he could be of any age (at least young or middle aged; probably not old - and not too young). But we don't have to consider ageing between The Hobbit and this frame.

I thought we skipped over the Hobbit regarding the Frame.

Back