Script Discussion: Season 1 - Episode 9-10

Nicholas Palazzo

Ok, so I'm going to take a week off of video-hosting for this week due to the holidays as our some others of us, I believe. If someone else wants to grab that ball for a week, feel free, but for now I'm planning on scheduling the next Blab for the following weekend.

I'd like to talk about some frame stuff for the future though. It's occurred to me that we've given Gilraen very few "wins" so far this season. Part of that is because Elrond is telling the stories, so he has a bit more influence on where the lessons hit. I'd like to try to flip it if possible.

One possibility I'm considering is this:
The resolution to the rebellion of Osse is Uinen coming to him and telling him that chaos is ok, as long as there is a measure of control on it. I would like to see Gilraen use that to advocate a looser rein on her son than what he's been facing lately. Maybe he's had little time to "be a child" between his lessons in swordplay, and history lessons and whatever else he is being taught.

I am available for the next two weeks! I don't mind sitting on my hands this week if nobody else can make it, but I can throw up the blab if anyone is interested.

I remember the Osse Uinen angle being "there's a place for this in the music, but do it together with me, with us". I think there's potential for your Gilraen angle, but what's the stimulus driving that reaction? Is Estel kind of turning into a self-serious robot? Is he clearly bored and in danger of losing the lessons for their lack of engagement? I feel like Estel would probably be getting way into the stories as they get closer and closer to open conflict, but I do agree with the need to give Gilraen some "points", as it were, so we don't end up feeling like Elrond is the only source of wisdom in Season 1.

Ok, I do think that Estel should be more into the lessons than less.

Maybe he is so into them that he is coming home exhausted every night, and is so focused on his studies that he doesn't have time for the fun stuff he used to do with mom.

I dunno if I buy that per SE. Giiltaen feels to me like she might be proud and feel like things were getting done if her boy came home exhausted every night. It seems like she would need to be competing for teaching time with Elrond to sell that properly; I mean, we've had her drop hints that she was kind of impatient to get him started, right, back in Episode one? I'm not saying she wouldn't cherish and miss more time with her son, but she seems the sort to feel like he needs to buckle down and focus right now, and we've already had her sign off on the direction the studying' going, at least for the time being. Do we want to maybe have her reconsidering that and try to feed Estel another perspective and cause tension that way? Maybe break her promise a bit and say "that elf means well, but mother knows best?"

The problem there is that it puts her in the wrong again. By having her worry that he might be starting to miss out on his (rather short by elvish standards) childhood, we give her a chance to raise a viable objection, let her win one, and it relates to the story.

Not necessarily...? I think we could introduce the "this is too elfy" pushback in this episode; we don't necessarily have to get super explicit and explain it all, I'm not afraid the let the audience pick a favorite between Elrond or Gilraen. I don't want to overplay it, there should be tension, not hostility.

I am not available this weekend at all - I am traveling Saturday, and Sunday is Easter.

Next weekend, I will be visiting my sister's family, and don't expect to be available.

I will be available the week after that, April 9-10th.

Edit: Our deadline of April 15th *may* be extended, but I am not available the weekend of April 16-17th anyway.

Last edited:
What does "mother know best" about, though? What direction is she trying to push Estel in?
Yeah, we have to nail that down of that's our angle. I'm exhausted right now and my noodle ain't up to it right this second, it ought to be something totally defensible if not bright, sunny, and upbeat.

I am available for the next two weeks! I don't mind sitting on my hands this week if nobody else can make it, but I can throw up the blab if anyone is interested.

I think Karita is available Sunday evening if you are?

I'm in class by then, unfortunately. Let's maybe do as much discussion here as we can this week and maybe have a wrap-up next time so we don't have to completely skip a week.

Well, as of...now...I am peacing out for the week, so...unfortunately I can contribute absolutely nothing. I wish you all the best, though!

Well, as of...now...I am peacing out for the week, so...unfortunately I can contribute absolutely nothing. I wish you all the best, though!
We'll miss you! Have a great week, and come back full to bursting with ideas! :D

Ok, I'm going to schedule this week's episode for Saturday evening (EST), unless there is a compelling reason to go back to Sunday.

I just got to the part of the Blab where you were wondering what Uinen was associated with, and I was wishing I'd been there to answer on the spot...when you gave me a bit of a callout. ;)

So, yes, Uinen's hair is associated with all the streams/rivers. Also, she is valued by the Numenoreans equal to the Valar, and their ships are dedicated to her, because she is seen as a mariner's best protection from storms.

Nicholas, I've figured out a potential way to end the episode where everybody wins. Okay, so technically it's more of a workaround but I think it will work. Also, it's very conceptual and could potentially change the way the endings of the other episodes would be written (don't worry- no outline changes needed.) Also, because it's conceptual and over-arching, I'll need to post it in a separate thread. Also, I don't think I'll have time to type it up today; I just wanted you to know that I had something and also that it's coming. Also, Uinen: Hair, rivers/streams, mariners, got it. Thanks MithLuin. Also, I'll leave it up to the peanut gallery to decide whether my continued use of the word 'also' is obnoxious obfuscation or poetic parallelism. (Also, I pulled that alliteration out of nowhere. Words, amiright?)

Excellent! And once again, Alex, I do thank you for jumping in to help us out. 'Twould have been a lonely broadcast if it had just been myself with Karita typing back to me.

And...

Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition.

Back