Session 4.14 - Episodes 3 & 4

MithLuin

Administrator
Staff member
Session 4-13 touched on Episode 2 and then focused on the Frame of Season 4 (and Casting therein)

Session 4-14 will pick up some of the creative content from the other thread, and then continue on with planning the episodes of Season 4. So, feel free to post any 'creative content' suggestions on the last thread.

This thread will focus on Episodes 3 and 4. Any ideas for how you'd like to see those unfold? Recall that Episode 2 will likely end with Fingolfin crowned High King and Galadriel having her crisis of conscience in Doriath, and Episode 5 will be the Mereth Aderthad. So, Episodes 3-4 is everything in between.

Angrod goes to Doriath
Beginning of Caranthir/Angrod feud
Noldor claim their realms
Lots of building.
Sindar move into the realms of the Noldor (not the Fëanorean realms)
Re-Introduce Eöl.
Introduce Petty-dwarves
Celeborn and Galadriel get to know one another a bit
Mostly quiet on the Angband front?

Perhaps the Mereth Aderthad is announced at the end of Episode 4, Sauron gets wind and decides to attend incognito? We can devote the entirety of Episode 5 to the Mereth Aderthad.

How does the Caranthir/Angrod feud begin?

Suggestion: Meeting with Telchar between Caranthir, Curufin and Angrod, Curufin receives Angrist, how do we set up the feud? Maybe after the Elves leave Telchar has a reintroducing of Eol and the mysterious black metal he brought?

Consulting our handy dandy Gantt chart, you will see that the meeting between the Fëanoreans and the Dwarves of Belegost is slated for Episode 6.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...j3TpG3Bnt1hPqHBaGL17TB0Y8/edit#gid=1115838130

So, in Episode 4, all we are doing is getting the Fëanoreans into East Beleriand and (re)introducing Eöl as their outraged neighbor.

The 'feud' between Caranthir and Angrod begins when Angrod brings back news from Doriath that, good news, Thingol has granted them the freedom to claim realms in Beleriand (outside Doriath), and Caranthir rains on his parade by saying...since when were you in charge of speaking for us to Thingol, anyway? Angrod's trip to Doriath takes place during Episode 3, but we probably don't show much of it. Whether or not we bring him back to deliver his news at the end of Episode 3 or the beginning of Episode 4 isn't entirely clear to me (currently). After Caranthir and Angrod's very public spat, Maedhros will announce that the Fëanoreans will go East.

We need to develop a coherent story among the Noldor for episode 3 and episode 4. We know *what* has to happen - they scout out Beleriand, draw up a map, and then divvy up the land into 'Of Beleriand and its Realms' and then they go build a bunch of towers. But...that isn't a story, really. The whys and wherefores need to be made clear.

I would suggest we send Celeborn back to Doriath with Angrod; we need to get him and Galadriel in the same place, and his job in the north is finished.

Consulting our handy dandy Gantt chart, you will see that the meeting between the Fëanoreans and the Dwarves of Belegost is slated for Episode 6.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...j3TpG3Bnt1hPqHBaGL17TB0Y8/edit#gid=1115838130

So, in Episode 4, all we are doing is getting the Fëanoreans into East Beleriand and (re)introducing Eöl as their outraged neighbor.

The 'feud' between Caranthir and Angrod begins when Angrod brings back news from Doriath that, good news, Thingol has granted them the freedom to claim realms in Beleriand (outside Doriath), and Caranthir rains on his parade by saying...since when were you in charge of speaking for us to Thingol, anyway? Angrod's trip to Doriath takes place during Episode 3, but we probably don't show much of it. Whether or not we bring him back to deliver his news at the end of Episode 3 or the beginning of Episode 4 isn't entirely clear to me (currently). After Caranthir and Angrod's very public spat, Maedhros will announce that the Fëanoreans will go East.

We need to develop a coherent story among the Noldor for episode 3 and episode 4. We know *what* has to happen - they scout out Beleriand, draw up a map, and then divvy up the land into 'Of Beleriand and its Realms' and then they go build a bunch of towers. But...that isn't a story, really. The whys and wherefores need to be made clear.

I would suggest we send Celeborn back to Doriath with Angrod; we need to get him and Galadriel in the same place, and his job in the north is finished.
Oh. I thought that the items Telchar made during the season would be spaced more evenly, with Curufin getting Angrist in Episode 4, Maedhros commissioning Narsil for Aegnor in Episode 8 or 9 (after the Dagor Aglareb), and the Dragon-Helm is at the very end of the season after Glaurung's appearance, maybe in the beginning of Season 5.

Thank you. And what day is the deadline for writing anything that will be included in the notes to the Execs?

We also should consider introducing the Petty Dwarves (sorry, House less Dwarves) at this time.

We had suggested a conversation between Mablung and Norn to set the stage for later. If we are showing Galadriel in Doriath during this time, we probably have the chance to reintroduce Norn.

We also should consider introducing the Petty Dwarves (sorry, House less Dwarves) at this time.

We had suggested a conversation between Mablung and Norn to set the stage for later. If we are showing Galadriel in Doriath during this time, we probably have the chance to reintroduce Norn.
Would Norn be in Doriath?

Suggestion: Angrod returns to the Feanoreans at the end of Episode 3 with Thingol's proclamation. Episode 4 opens with Caranthir getting angry.
Maedhros defuses the situation by taking his brothers eastward. Or have they already decided?

Do you mean splitting the Noldorin council between two episodes? I would rather have the whole council together in one episode. We probably also need some time to pass between Ep3 and Ep4.

I think it makes sense to have the Council in Episode 3, with Angrod returning in time for it.

But then the story of Episode 4 is 'The Noldor build their realms' which...isn't really a story, and needs something more.

I think it makes sense to have the Council in Episode 3, with Angrod returning in time for it.

But then the story of Episode 4 is 'The Noldor build their realms' which...isn't really a story, and needs something more.
Set-up to the Mereth Aderthad? We could meet some supporting characters like Glorfindel and Idril.

Yes, I think we'll need some side stories. So, we wanted to have Ecthelion do something daring and rescue a group of Sindar from werewolves (in Nevrast?), and...that would probably be the time to make that happen. Maybe get some viewpoints and perspectives of non-princely Noldor on the whole settlement of Beleriand situation.

Since Fingolfin isn't moving, he'd be the one planning the Mereth Aderthad, and we could likely tease that at the end of Episode 4. It would emphasize his role as High King even though the others have moved away.

Yes, I think we'll need some side stories. So, we wanted to have Ecthelion do something daring and rescue a group of Sindar from werewolves (in Nevrast?), and...that would probably be the time to make that happen. Maybe get some viewpoints and perspectives of non-princely Noldor on the whole settlement of Beleriand situation.

Since Fingolfin isn't moving, he'd be the one planning the Mereth Aderthad, and we could likely tease that at the end of Episode 4. It would emphasize his role as High King even though the others have moved away.
I've also suggested a short scene of Sauron learning of the Mereth Aderthad through a spy (Thurwingwethil?) and decides to attend. Or should it be a shock that he's attending?

Hmmm, there should be some surprise involved, but maybe the surprise is which 'elf' turns out to be Sauron in disguise? We might be able to tease his involvement without eliminating all surprises.

Morgoth will leave in Episode 2 to seek out the Men, so Angband will be very quiet in Episodes 3-4. A scene with a spy keeping track of the Noldor in Episode 4 will likely work.

What group should Sauron pick from to disguise himself? Noldor or Sindar? As to teasing his involvement, maybe have the "camera" focus on an an Elf or two at a time, and as the Mereth Aderthad ends, we see that it's Sauron (maybe Thuringwethil if Sauron wishes to masquerade as a couple).

Back