Session 4.15 - Creative Content Part 2

MithLuin

Administrator
Staff member
The next session will be on Friday May 17th, and will focus on creative content for Season 4. So, all of the suggestions from the last 'Creative' thread are still on the table, plus anything else you'd like to talk about! We talked about the language barrier at the end of today's session.

Please post suggestions here.

I imagine we will talk about music commissions. Also probably maps.

Any art? Any creative challenges you want them to weigh in on?

One-off questions that have been raised are: eagles, Maedhros' stump, Fingolfin's Host feeding themselves, the Sun and Moon, and...any others?

I think it might be a good idea to save any casting discussion for the *next* creative session, since we focused on that and the Frame last session, but if you feel there is one topic of casting to address now, let me know and I'll add it to the list!

Can't think of any new creative elements right now that haven't already been said. But topics I am interested in:
  • Whether or not Maedhros will have a prosthetic limb. He's never described as having one in the book, but he might need something to keep a shield from sliding off his arm (if we want him to wield a shield).
  • How does Fingolfin's host feed themselves until trade is established between the Feanoreans/Sindar without burning out all their resources? Options I suggest:
    • Agriculture (might use up all the resources in the area)
    • Horticulture
    • Mobile herding
Will save questions on casting for two weeks from now.

Last edited:
Whether or not Maedhros will have a prosthetic limb. He's never described as having one in the book, but he might need something to keep a shield from sliding off his arm (if we want him to wield a shield).

I'm going to stand pretty firm on the shield issue. If there is no plate armor in this show, there must be shields, except under specific circumstances. (Dedicated archers, pikemen, etc.).

I'm going to stand pretty firm on the shield issue. If there is no plate armor in this show, there must be shields, except under specific circumstances. (Dedicated archers, pikemen, etc.).
Did we definitively decide on no plate armor?

If we want to have him with a shield, what should we have to keep it from falling off when his arm is pointed down? A hook? An Ash Williams-type mechanical glove (groovy)? A spike with a claw at the end that's shoved into the stump ala Azog in The Hobbit?
tumblr_omh4jxRsNm1qae9eko1_500.jpg

WET01276_6-600x600.jpg

Last edited:
On magic swords, in a carryover from the first Creative Content thread:

Are different materials are used by Elves than Men? Is magic worked into the process of forging it to make them rust-proof? Eternally sharp? Is there more magic put into the making of the high lords of Gondolin, where the blades glow blue when Orcs are close?

I guess my concept of making magical swords is influenced by the Inheritance Cycle, where each Dragon Rider has a magical sword that is eternally sharp and doesn't rust.
Inheritance Wiki article on Rider's Sword

Topics of casting: Physical appearance, intangible traits (singing, a certain screen presence), and above all: who do we need to cast in the main story?

I don’t think we introduce any characters in e3 or e4, so I take it that casting issues are for another time.

I don’t think we introduce any characters in e3 or e4, so I take it that casting issues are for another time.
I was writing for the creative content as a whole for the season, not specific episodes.

Last edited:
People who argue against plate armour usually use the indicator that tolkien almost exclusively uses the term "mail" ... with very few exceptions where he mentions scale or splint and "fishmail".

I have to mention here that elvish Ambasse /ammos in the wordl6sts translates as "breastplate, cuirass, byrne or Hauberk", or " breastplate, hauberk or cuirass"...
And Thingol wears "fishmail" AND corslet... and if both were normal mail that would be an odd combination.

so "breastplate\Cuirass" IS absolutely an option. And "mail" should not be seen too narrow...

People who argue against plate armour usually use the indicator that tolkien almost exclusively uses the term "mail" ... with very few exceptions where he mentions scale or splint and "fishmail".

I have to mention here that elvish Ambasse /ammos in the wordl6sts translates as "breastplate, cuirass, byrne or Hauberk", or " breastplate, hauberk or cuirass"...
And Thingol wears "fishmail" AND corslet... and if both were normal mail that would be an odd combination.

so "breastplate\Cuirass" IS absolutely an option. And "mail" should not be seen too narrow...

I agree. They should still be using shields.

Though a word that means "hauberk" likely also means mail.

But not if it also means breastplate and cuirass! Then its just an umbrella term for upper body armour.. and it's pretty interesting that they get mentioned 3xplicitly and not just mail/hauberk/haubergeon/byrnie... ain't it?

Last edited:
The noldor should use big reverse teardrop like shields, the orcs large roundshields... sindar, nandor and dwarves i am not sure... roundshields appear in gondolin , targes and bucklers are mentioned in the text and lozengal designs appear in jrrts heraldry... the Doriathrim at least us3d targes and bucklers..

The noldor should use big reverse teardrop like shields, the orcs large roundshields... sindar, nandor and dwarves i am not sure... roundshields appear in gondolin , targes and bucklers are mentioned in the text and lozengal designs appear in jrrts heraldry... the Doriathrim at least us3d targes and bucklers..
Humans might use round shields down the line as well...

The men of Hithlum definitely used targes as well... but in general i think the Hadorians of Hithlum were more equiped like the Fingolfinians and the Beorians of Dorthonion more like the Feanorians.The Easterlings may as well at first have been equipped by the Feanorians and later by Angband...

The Halethrim i am not sure about, they most likely did not change a lot and stayed pretty much the primitive forest culture they had been before..

The men of Hithlum definitely used targes as well... but in general i think the Hadorians of Hithlum were more equiped like the Fingolfinians and the Beorians of Dorthonion more like the Feanorians.The Easterlings may as well at first have been equipped by the Feanorians and later by Angband...

The Halethrim i am not sure about, they most likely did not change a lot and stayed pretty much the primitive forest culture they had been before..
I’d say the Beorians would take more after the House of Finarfin, since Angrod and Aegnor rule Dorthonion, and they answer to Finrod.

No rap. I’m putting my foot down, it would destroy the whole tone of the world we’re creating.

Elven martial arts: Fencing?...

Last edited:
Back