Rhogrin

Ange1e4e5

Rog is a character from Lost Tales whom @Haerangil has expressed interest in integrating into the Silm Film Project. He’s described as being a blacksmith, tall and strong but hunchbacked and scarred, and unusually brawny in build for an Elf, the strongest of the Noldor.

He might be a bit old, but this might be close. Bautista can do quite a bit, from slightly comedic (Drax), to implacable (Hinx).

Dave Bautista
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1176985/
Height: 6’6”
Roles: Drax the Destroyer in Guardians of the Galaxy, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and Avengers: Infinity War, Mr. Hinx in Spectre, Sapper Morton in Blade Runner 2049
guardians-of-the-galaxy-david-bautista-drax.jpg

Hinx-Beige-Suit-Waistcoat-Spectre.jpg

Blade-Runner-2049-Sapper-Morton.jpg

Last edited:
Ok I get your idea but I think he’s too old. Let’s look for younger material. :)

Hell yes! That actor really would sort of challenge peoples ideas of the high-elves and elves in general! I like!

I don't know... Gwindor for example is said to have aquired the look of one of the old ones among men because of his i,prisonment and pain and sorrow... so i personally would actually prefer an older actor.

I would definitely like to include Rog in this project, but just a word of caution - he has not yet been mentioned in the podcasts, and therefore may not actually feature in this Season.

We will definitely be introducing Glorfindel and Ecthelion in Season 3, but the other Lords of Gondolin are only at extra status until we integrate them into the story.

I would definitely like to include Rog in this project, but just a word of caution - he has not yet been mentioned in the podcasts, and therefore may not actually feature in this Season.

We will definitely be introducing Glorfindel and Ecthelion in Season 3, but the other Lords of Gondolin are only at extra status until we integrate them into the story.
I listened to one of the podcast sessions that I had to leave early from, and Corey actually said he’d love to include Rog. He thought Rog is awesome. So, he has been mentioned. But that’s about it.

I listened to one of the podcast sessions that I had to leave early from, and Corey actually said he’d love to include Rog. He thought Rog is awesome. So, he has been mentioned. But that’s about it.
Any idea on a younger actor for Rog? The only person I’ve thought of so far under 40 is Hafthor Bjornsson, who is 30 and the reigning strongest man in the world. Might be a bit too big, though.

Rog has been changed to Rhogrin (maybe a name change?). The concept of him is swarthy (dark-complexioned), physically large, and dark-haired. Are we on track with the suggestions we have now?

I think I am interested in burly-enough-to-be-a-blacksmith rather than muscles-for-days-professional-weightlifter. And while 'tall' is fine, I don't want anyone taller than Turgon for this role (so, under 6'5").

I agree that Rog (well, Rhogrin, now) should be stronger and more 'built' than your average willowy elf. But a broad chest and decent biceps would do that; he doesn't have to look like he belongs in the WWF.

This character has a 'before' and 'after', but he won't be a captive for long (in screentime). He'll be made captive during the Dagor Aglareb (Episode 9), and escape before the season finale (so Episode 12). However, in 'real time', that captivity will likely be more than a hundred years, and we'll show time passing with the construction of Gondolin and Nargothrond. So, it makes sense to cast him on his post-Angband characteristics, and just make him look happier/more carefree before all of that.

Nick suggested Jared Padelecki (Sam Winchester from Supernatural) for either Rhogrin or Ecthelion. He's 6'4", born in 1982.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0655585/
4b9d3fd9525a9f8735bbc10f4bfbbc87.png

MV5BYzJiNmJkMjItNzlmNS00Mjc4LWEyMDQtZTlhMTg5YzYzYTZjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc5Mjg0NjU@._V1_.jpg

Here's a shirtless/workout scene he did 8 years ago; I think that it's a convincing blacksmith body, but not, you know, anywhere near the same caliber as Bautista or Bjornsson.
(ignore the acting in this scene; there's supposed to be something seriously wrong with his character at this point, so this is him being a cold-hearted soulless killer who doesn't care about anything)

There are plenty of examples of him fighting and using weapons on that show, but the only hammer I could remember is this scene where he gets ahold of Mjolnir. Cole, Moloch, and Demon!Dean all use hammers....but not Sam.
More typically they use knives and guns.
Edited to add: I can't believe I forgot about the scene where they take pickaxes/sledgehammers to a concrete block wall!

In real life, this was an 18 inch thick concrete block wall. They filmed the scene with these two guys going at it for maybe 1 minute....and they got through all 18". The point of the scene is that they 'fail' to break through, but.... {Story here}

And there are of course plenty of torture scenes to choose from.
There's this one, if you want stoic defiance (and overall unimpressed by his captors):

And the more mental variety, where his grasp on reality is slipping and he's afraid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSCwiwbAmP4

And of course, the guy's been possessed more often than anyone. In this scene, he's got both an angel and a demon in him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBz0es8nQHU

Last edited:
He looks like he could be Ecthelion (I have my own person that I’d like to see as Ecthelion, but that’s neither here nor there). I’ve suggested Dave Bautista to open the thread, and Rory McCann in the question section of the webinar in the most recent podcast. Also, isn’t Rhogrin supposed to be hunchbacked, so he’s not going to be at full height?

I loved Rory McCann as the Hound in Game of Thrones. An entire spin-off series of him and Arya roaming the countryside would have made me happy :).

I don't really see him as an elf, though. He's a bit old.
6'6" and 50 years old.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0564920/
True, though @Haerangil suggests that he could be played by an older actor since Rog, like Gwindor, could escape looking like “the aged among mortal Men”.

Just an idea... it seems torture and imprisonment can leave elves ages and scarred... but we start with a mid-young Rhogrin i think... and it would be odd if we had to switch actors after we had just introduced a character... on the other hand one could wonder if we could make the actor younger via cgi for the first few episodes... though i am not a fan of it to be honest...

If we are differentiating Rhogrin from Ecthelion by making Ecthelion paler and a notably good singer, then I think Padalecki would be more suited to Rhogrin. As far as I know, he can't sing. He plays the guitar/keyboard a little, but not well.

Most tall guys know how to hunch over/make themselves look shorter, so they can walk through doorways and make eye contact, if nothing else, just as most short people know how to stretch onto their tiptoes to reach things.

421-samonbed.jpg

As Sam Winchester, Jared is perpetually hunching his shoulders and shrinking down. He looks small and lonely in this room, even though he's the opposite of a small guy. One of the ways you can tell he's possessed is because he stands up to his *full* height with his shoulders back when he's playing an angel possessing Sam Winchester. ;)

Here's video of him playing guitar at a convention:

The only recording of him singing that I'm aware of is this one, where he sings 'White Christmas' with Jason Manns.

So, it's not exactly that he can't sing, so much that he doesn't do it professionally or anything. (Both Sam and Dean Winchester are terrible singers, so examples of them singing on the show are horribly out of tune and terrible - on purpose.)

Back