Thorondor (voice)

Ange1e4e5

Thorondor is the greatest of the Eagles of Manwe, sent by Manwe as another guardian for the Noldor. He helps Fingon rescue Maedhros and later as a guardian for Gondolin. Given that Fingon’s rescue of Maedhros takes place early in Season 4, we should cast Thorondor this season.

Being a voice role, we could go any way with it. I myself have envisioned Thorondor with a smooth baritone voice, maybe Peter Dinklage (and not because he was the Mighty Eagle in Angry Birds, which I didn't watch).

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0227759/
Peter Dinklage
Height: 4'5" (Height matters not in this role)
Roles: Finbar McBride in The Station Agent, Trumpkin in The Chronicles of Narnia, Tyrion Lannister in Game of Thrones, Bolivar Trask in X-Men: Days of Future Past

Last edited:
Daniel Day-Lewis
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000358/
Height: 6'2" (height matters not)
Roles: Nathaniel Poe/Hawkeye in The Last of the Mohicans, Bill "The Butcher" Cutting in Gangs of New York, Daniel Plainview in There Will be Blood, President Abraham Lincoln in Lincoln

The Execs have expressed interest in recycling Day-Lewis' role as Manwe into playing Thorondor, since Thorondor is affiliated with Manwe. I'm only really familiar with his action role in The Last of the Mohicans, but if they want him instead of using a new actor, so be it.

My feeling is (based on reactions to my own postings, your postings and others, and on the general activity on the forums and the focus of the SIlmfilm activity at this time) that people aren't putting much thought into the casting issues right now. So, have faith, we're getting there.

What’s their problem with using a different actor?
I don’t have any other knowledge than you have. I listened to the session and you attended live, right? Daniel Day-Lewis was mentioned and they all loved the idea. Don’t let it stop you from nominating others though.

I don’t have any other knowledge than you have. I listened to the session and you attended live, right? Daniel Day-Lewis was mentioned and they all loved the idea. Don’t let it stop you from nominating others though.
Yeah, I did attend live (but contributed very little). I’m just trying to figure out if I can nominate anyone else, since they seem dead-set on Daniel Day-Lewis (even though he’s retired from acting) and they don’t seem to want to think of anyone else.

Yeah, I did attend live (but contributed very little). I’m just trying to figure out if I can nominate anyone else, since they seem dead-set on Daniel Day-Lewis (even though he’s retired from acting) and they don’t seem to want to think of anyone else.
That’s a risk. Also, the idea they like could be a popular one.

That’s a risk. Also, the idea they like could be a popular one.
True, but having Day-Lewis voice Thorondor could raise some implications about the nature of Thorondor and Manwe, ie that Manwe is present throughout the Noldor’s ordeal and not helping them directly for any number of reasons: He’s not powerful enough to face Morgoth, he can but is just sitting on his heels in Valinor and not putting out, etc.

Right. Or we could say that he just gave Thorondor a voice that was like his own. Perhaps he is a bit vain that way? Like Aulë made Durin look like himself, Manwë gives his creation his voice? Or it's a result of the restraints of subcreation? Or, just poor creativity? Manwë has strengths and weaknesses, after all - and this is an area he hasn't developed much.
Seriously, I agree that it could raise those questions. But perhaps it won't be that obvious, more like an Easter egg thing.

Right. Or we could say that he just gave Thorondor a voice that was like his own. Perhaps he is a bit vain that way? Like Aulë made Durin look like himself, Manwë gives his creation his voice? Or it's a result of the restraints of subcreation? Or, just poor creativity? Manwë has strengths and weaknesses, after all - and this is an area he hasn't developed much.
Seriously, I agree that it could raise those questions. But perhaps it won't be that obvious, more like an Easter egg thing.
Am I the only one who wants someone other than Daniel Day-Lewis as Thorondor?

Am I the only one who wants someone other than Daniel Day-Lewis as Thorondor?
Hard to tell. At the moment, it's just you and me in this thread. I'm fine with using Day-Lewis, but some people might have your concerns.

Back