S04E05 Script Discussion

I love the hurdy gurdy! In fact, when I came up with the idea that Sauron could sing in harmony with himself using two seperate sounds, a first one being a drone and a second one lighter and more melodious, I was thinking about the hurdy gurdy, and also the keyed fiddle (both drone instruments). Perhaps that's why you thought of the hurdy gurdy, Nicholas?

Is there any reason why there can't be a hurdy gurdy at nevrast?

It seems a bit on the mechanical side for the Elves, but mostly, we wanted it to stand out visually and audibly.

I love the hurdy gurdy! In fact, when I came up with the idea that Sauron could sing in harmony with himself using two seperate sounds, a first one being a drone and a second one lighter and more melodious, I was thinking about the hurdy gurdy, and also the keyed fiddle (both drone instruments). Perhaps that's why you thought of the hurdy gurdy, Nicholas?

I wasn't sure we had decided on the hurdy gurdy as Sauron's instrument when I wrote the script, which is why I do not give it a name. I can definitely change it to a hurdy gurdy if that is what we want him to play.

I had Sauron build his instrument from pieces of others to go with the theme of evil only being able to corrupt, not create, and explain why Sauron did not attempt his spell at the beginning of the Mereth Aderthad or start playing it before Luthien could ease the tension between the fans of Maglor and Daeron. Should I change the script so he just modifies an existing hurdy gurdy in preparation for his spell?

I wasn't sure we had decided on the hurdy gurdy as Sauron's instrument when I wrote the script, which is why I do not give it a name. I can definitely change it to a hurdy gurdy if that is what we want him to play.

I had Sauron build his instrument from pieces of others to go with the theme of evil only being able to corrupt, not create, and explain why Sauron did not attempt his spell at the beginning of the Mereth Aderthad or start playing it before Luthien could ease the tension between the fans of Maglor and Daeron. Should I change the script so he just modifies an existing hurdy gurdy in preparation for his spell?
I'm not sure... It would be cool if Sauron used an instrument that works like his own magical singing. It would make sense, if it's going to affect people at the Mereth Aderthad. If it seems to be out of place among Elvish instruments, that's no good. On the other hand, if he builds it temporarily and then takes it apart, I guess there's no harm done. In the end, it really doesn't have to be an actual hurdy gurdy, it could be an instrument that works like a hurdy gurdy.

Regarding instruments, there was some fantasy novel or another (I forget the providence) where a disguised demi-god character continually played the pan pipes for some magical effect, until once by accident when the pipes were lost or out of reach it was revealed that the music was coming directly from the demi-god and the pipes were only for show.

So I am finally getting my head around this piece. Boy, you people really know how to stump a person. This has been so difficult, but I had to approach it logically. I have started with a little ditty for Goblin Feet and then added the drone strings with the chord structure that I want, and then I BASTARDISED it. I finally found the right amount of bastardisation today by lowering the melody a third and changing it to a minor key with some obvious discord thrown in for good measure. I hope I have done justice to it by adding what I could of the musical struggle between the two as Luthien compels the piece to conform to her own version and in the end to accompany her. I even have a Mythgard someone to sing it. I'll try to put out a sample on twitter so people can get a taste for it. I'm still looking to how I can add a twanging sound to bits.

Back