Session 4-22: Final Creative Content - Dragons!

Could we decide on a name for Bard's wife and names for Annael's wife and son?

Also, could we figure out names for Maglor's wife and Caranthir's wife and what we want their roles to be? If Maglor's wife remained in Valinor, I think that would make Curufin's wife, Diriel, the besain of the Feanorian camp, which would give her a larger role in the episodes before she is captured. If Caranthir's wife came to Middle-earth with him, that role could pass to her after Diriel's capture.
We haven’t made a serious set name for Bard’s wife. And Annael’s wife and son were not on the cast list.

We haven’t made a serious set name for Bard’s wife. And Annael’s wife and son were not on the cast list.
I don’t think any of them will be major enough characters to cast; I would just like to be able to refer to them by actual names rather than somebody’s wife.

So we’re making the First Age longer?

No, the First Age is not going to be longer in our story. As far as I know, the dates when Aredhel leaves and returns to Gondolin will be unaltered. And that's a question for Season 5 anyway.

All that is happening is that the elves are moving to Gondolin in a different year than Tolkien said they did, but we likely aren't commenting on what year it is on screen. It just means that if we want to refer back to the founding of Gondolin later, we'll have to be careful not to mess up our timelines.

'Some time later' or '200 years later' is not the way to show time advancing, at least not in a story we want people to take seriously. That's more appropriate storytelling for a joke.

Hetalia: Axis Powers Ep 1 introduces the Roman Empire, and is basically like...and then World War I happened.
(For those who aren't familiar, this show personifies a bunch of countries and makes fun of them in stereotypical ways, but manages to cover [some] real history.)

Yes, we had some suggestions for Bard's wife's name, but we hadn't chosen one yet. We should do that next session.

Naming Annael's wife and son would be helpful, but we won't be casting them this season (or possibly at all). For now, they are too minor to go on the casting list.

Likewise, if Maglor's wife is in Valinor, we don't need to name or cast her. If Caranthir's wife is present in Middle-earth, we should give her a name, at least. Casting would have to wait until she is introduced into the story with a role.

For next season, it seems sufficient in my mind to have Aredhel say that she wants to leave, someone could answer 'But it's only been slightly more than a Yén!', and Aredhel could respond 'A long year indeed' or something like it.

I maintain that we this season focus on the changes that become visible with time. The elves don't age but other things do. Someone could have a puppy that grows...the Gondolindrim plant trees, etc. The alertness of the defences become slightly more slack, perhaps? Lesser use of armour? Watch routines being changed?

An idea for time passing: How about having a one-take sequence showing a tree growing, buildings being constructed, an infant Elf growing up (Pendolodh), etc? Similar to the scene in Notting Hill where William Thacker (Hugh Grant) walks down a busy street in Notting Hill, with the seasons passing as he walks (ignore the pink octopus that shows up every so often in the clip, that isn’t part of the original scene).

Ingrid? Una? Hella? Those were names i rememer being used for Bards wife in fanfic or rpgs... i'm not too fond of any of them to be honest, i think we could do better... though Una has a good sound, i'm not sure if it's a valid norse name, which is the direction we should go for i think...

Actually i just googled for Una and found out that in old norse it means "enjoy, be happy"... i LIKE that! I would suppose and vote for Una could't think of any better name at all...

Last edited:
It’s not a very common Norse name... I’m a bit hesitant. I just think of the Una bomber... I’m not dead against it though.

Another suggestion is Amdis. It means eagle spirit.

Una bomber

Now That's a connection i'd never have drawn... i'd thought that must be an american thing, just like they think of tuna fish when they read Túna or that thing they have with that red furry sesame street character.

Now the Unabomber connection has ruined it for me too...

Last edited:
Asvi (pious person?), Ima (battle?), Bára (wave) , Fenja (heath-dweller?), Geira (spear-woman?), Gridh (peace, mercy), Rúna (secret), Signi (new victory?) Are names i like... i guess it should be a name which sounds good in combination with bard...

Bard & Asvi, Bard & Signi sound like happy couples...

Asvi (pious person?), Ima (battle?), Bára (wave) , Fenja (heath-dweller?), Geira (spear-woman?), Gridh (peace, mercy), Rúna (secret), Signi (new victory?) Are names i like... i guess it should be a name which sounds good in combination with bard...

Bard & Asvi, Bard & Signi sound like happy couples...

Depending upon how it is pronounced, it also sounds like the name of this character from Final Fantasy X...

Yuna.600.2427920.jpg

You mean Yuna? I guess Yuna is pronounced something like You-noh, but i don't speak japanese.Úna is pronounced like ...ooo-nuh.

Ah damn! We've had that before hadn't we? Luckily he didn't say anything like Gandalf, Bilbo, Frodo, Sauron, legolas, gimli etc. ... George Lucas would've ruined the entire Lord of the rings for everybody who watched that movie!

By the way i somehow repressed: Sauron contains the element Sau, which is a female pig or mess in german, Pippin sounds like pippi which is a belittlement for urin, Pip is a slangword for "Penis", and Mary was a very popular transvestive performer... growing up in germany can really mess you up!

Ah damn! We've had that before hadn't we? Luckily he didn't say anything like Gandalf, Bilbo, Frodo, Sauron, legolas, gimli etc. ... George Lucas would've ruined the entire Lord of the rings for everybody who watched that movie!

By the way i somehow repressed: Sauron contains the element Sau, which is a female pig or mess in german, Pippin sounds like pippi which is a belittlement for urin, Pip is a slangword for "Penis", and Mary was a very popular transvestive performer... growing up in germany can really mess you up!
Offhand, does Sauron mean anything in Quenya or Sindarin?

An idea for time passing: How about having a one-take sequence showing a tree growing, buildings being constructed, an infant Elf growing up (Pendolodh), etc? Similar to the scene in Notting Hill where William Thacker (Hugh Grant) walks down a busy street in Notting Hill, with the seasons passing as he walks (ignore the pink octopus that shows up every so often in the clip, that isn’t part of the original scene).
Yes! This is more or less what I was implying. This is a fast way. An alternative would be a number of visits to a place with obvious changes from one visit to the next.

Yeah, I am fine with Una, because I would pronounce it as Oona. Whereas Unabomber is pronounced as Yuna. So, no association for me.

I think Bara is too similar to Bard. I mean their son is Bain, and that's a bit much!

I do like Runa and Signi. They are pretty and distinct. Amdis is okay, though not my favorite. We already have a Dis in the Frame this season.

And to be fair, sow is a female pig in English, too, and Tolkien went ahead with the name Farmer Maggot even though maggots are icky and gross.

Last edited:
Back