Script Discussion S04E09

The script is really cool! I have to say i enjoy silmfilm a lot more again now that we have real dialogues and more detailed descriptions of scenes!

Just two small points of criticism: I think we had proposed renaming Salgant as Talagand, because thatvwas jrrts latest version of that name... i also cannot get about the flying balrog, the balrog dialogue is REALL goofy... you did that to tease the execs a bit, yes ?
Thanks! I'll go back and change Salgant to Talagand. The flying Balrogs are definitely there to tease the execs. There are no flying Balrogs in the alternate script where Angrod lives.

I wish i had a more clear idea of Vinyamar really... it it easy to imagine the coastal cliff and tower part of the city... but i can't get a grip on how vinyamar was like towards inland!

Like it! But it doesn't help me much to visualize the inland view, where morgith's host attacks!

Btw people... i can't watch the glorious battle script discussion on youtube because yt tells me it is a livesession i have to wait for.. what's wrong?

Like it! But it doesn't help me much to visualize the inland view, where morgith's host attacks!

Btw people... i can't watch the glorious battle script discussion on youtube because yt tells me it is a livesession i have to wait for.. what's wrong?

What's wrong is that YouTube changed the way Hangouts interacts with streaming and I have yet to figure out a successful alternative.

Thanks! I'll go back and change Salgant to Talagand. The flying Balrogs are definitely there to tease the execs. There are no flying Balrogs in the alternate script where Angrod lives.
I thought we were killing Angrod. That's something we can't work around.

I thought we were killing Angrod. That's something we can't work around.
I still believe that Angrod’s death in the Dagor Aglareb is a needless deviation from the text, and the story can actually turn out much better if he remains alive until the Dagor Bragollach. That’s what I’m trying to prove with these scripts.

I still believe that Angrod’s death in the Dagor Aglareb is a needless deviation from the text, and the story can actually turn out much better if he remains alive until the Dagor Bragollach. That’s what I’m trying to prove with these scripts.
I can live with that. Good luck.

I don't think that anyone in authority can be convinced to break the "if Balrogs come, a named character must die" rule we made for ourselves. So as long as we can meet that, I think folk could be amenable to an alternative.

Personally i don't understand why we have to object to what the execs want... i mean, you people write the scripts! If they don't like them in the end then so be it.But my own opinion is: i don't have any problem with Angrod dying now... i find it unnecessary though.*shrugs*.

The Skype recordings appeared in the Skype chat. Can you download and post those to YouTube?

If I want to post a bunch of different recordings, sure, (which still takes time). But I have been trying to cut them together, and they have been resisting my efforts.

Well one could think they could field far larger numbers, however i am not sure... as i said their numbers increase slowly.Their general population really consists of NO old people i agree , and very few children... so the bulk of population COULD fight, in theory, for some time, except that still people need to grow food.But these would be Lmost inexpandable... once their dead, they will not be able to be replaced with a new generation for millenia.

Maybe they could have fielded a larger army... had they had more time to prepare... , but would they have really wanted to?
And on the other hand Dor-Lomin fielded their entire able-bodied force at the Nirnaeth, which left the women, children and elderly defenseless against the Easterlings. Do the Elves leave a sizable portion of soldiers at their holdfasts?

And on the other hand Dor-Lomin fielded their entire able-bodied force at the Nirnaeth, which left the women, children and elderly defenseless against the Easterlings. Do the Elves leave a sizable portion of soldiers at their holdfasts?
They probably do. In this battle, Fingolfin left a force at Barad Eithel to defend it, and the other Noldor probably did the same at their fortresses. It would make a lot of sense for them not to bring their entire forces with them to Minas Tirith because not knowing where exactly the Orcs were going to strike was an issue in the beginning of the episode.

Historical cultures did it if possible so even if the elves have few children and no elders it does make sense for them because their population grows so extremely slow and they can't afford to lose too many citizens at one time.

The nirnaeth was an extreme situation... the men of hithlum put everything on one number... and lost!

Last edited:
Here is the updated Episode 9 script where Angrod dies. :(

I think the biggest change is that Annael is now captured along with Rhogrin in this episode.

Please give me feedback if the details of the battle still do not seem realistic. Also, I would love any suggestions for how to make Angrod's death scene more hilarious and ridiculous tragic and meaningful.

Attachments

• S4E9ScriptV2.pdf
    193.9 KB · Views: 6
Here is the alternate Episode 9 script, which I will send to the hosts if they find anything in the other script unsatisfactory. The first three acts are exactly the same as in the other script. Obviously, I want the sequence of events in which Angrod lives to seem much better than the alternative, so I would really appreciate any feedback on them.

Attachments

• S4E9AlternateV2.pdf
    210.4 KB · Views: 6
I think my favorite line in this script is: "The whole family kills some Orcs together." The family that slays together stays together! Except, oops, gonna kill some of them off shortly....

I don't know how I feel about talking about earthquakes. It's okay, but....

Such a shame that this entire battle has to take place under thick cloud cover that blocks sunlight, moonlight, and starlight. It's like Season 3 all over again!

I am a bit confused by the logistics of the drawbridges. Obviously, the tower in the midst of the river must remain manned during this battle, but they're cut off from Minas Tirith proper. So...are there archers and medics out there? Are they expecting to all die while the rest of the garrison stays 'safely' on Tol Sirion? While it may be possible to raise and lower either bridge from the center (but presumably only the outer one), obviously the outer bridge can't be lowered from the island. But I guess it's not important that I understand exactly what is going on there; the siege more-or-less makes sense regardless. And I do like how the cessation of falling trees heralds Angrod and Aegnor's arrival!

Anyway, see you shortly!

Last edited:
Back