Session 4-24: Episodes 12 and 13

Logistical Challenge: how did Turgon conceal the movements of several thousand Elves (how many Elves form the population of Gondolin?) and with frequent trips to the same area, how did Morgoth not know of their movements? Even small convoys could be conceivably detected if they're following the same patterns.

Logistical Challenge: how did Turgon conceal the movements of several thousand Elves (how many Elves form the population of Gondolin?) and with frequent trips to the same area, how did Morgoth not know of their movements? Even small convoys could be conceivably detected if they're following the same patterns.
Ulmo's magic protects them:

"'Now thou shalt go at last to Gondolin, Turgon; and I will maintain my power in the Vale of Sirion and all the waters therein, so that none shall mark thy going' ... Then Ulmo returned to the sea, and Turgon set forth all his people ... and they passed away, company by company, secretly, under the shadows of Ered Wethrin, and they came unseen to Gondolin, and none knew whither they had gone."

I think we could probably show the Elves mostly travelling by night or occasionally under the cover of some magic mist that comes off the water. Maybe we could also show some of Thuringwethil's Vampires flying by and almost seeing them but being chased away or killed by the eagles.

Shot: View from Minas Tirith, a couple of guards wondering about a massive fog rolling in.
Kinda makes me thing of a scene in the Lion King midquel where Timon and Pumbaa think a storm’s coming when it’s really Mufasa appearing to Simba.

Deleted Scene after a failed attack on those traveling to Gondolin :D:

Dragluin: Man that lousy Thorondor! I won't able to sit for a week!

[Tevildo laughing]

Dragluin: It's not funny, Tevildo.

[Tevildo just laughs harder]

Dragluin: Hey, shut up!

[Tevildo continues laughing, Dragluin tackles Tevildo]

Thuringwetil: [arrives] Will you knock it off?

But what does Beleg know about the Petty Dwarves?
I looked through The Children of Hurin for references to what Beleg might have known about the Petty-dwarves. Here is what I found and what I conclude from it:

At the start of the chapter in which Mim first appears, there is some backstory given for the Petty-dwarves. Since the fictional frame of The Children of Hurin is a tale compiled after all the events take place, some of this backstory is probably influenced by Turin's encounters with Mim, but some of it may come from the lore of the Sindar and be something Beleg would have known: "The Nibin-nogrim the Elves of Beleriand called them long ago, but they did not love them ... They came, some said, of Dwarves that had been banished from the Dwarf-cities of the east in ancient days. Long before the return of Morgoth they had wandered westward. Being masterless and few in number, they found it hard to come by the ore of metals, and their smith-craft and store of weapons dwindled; and they took to lives of stealth, and became somewhat smaller in stature than their eastern kin."

The book then mentions that Mim and his two sons are the last of the Petty-dwarves, but it says that Mim was "old and forgotten," so if Beleg knew about Mim, he probably did not think he was still alive.

A little later on, there is the sentence, "They had come to Mim's house, Bar-en-Nibin-noeg, which only ancient tales in Doriath and Nargothrond remembered." From this, I think Beleg may know that Petty-dwarves live or had lived in Amon Rudh.

There is no direct interaction between Beleg and Mim that suggests Beleg knows who Mim is or that he knows about the Petty-dwarves being kicked out of Nargothrond.

A fireball behind Morgoth.
I like it, though we may not want to show Glaurung breathing fire just yet if we want to have a scene where Morgoth grants Glaurung the gift of firebreathing.

Should the creation of Glaurung be something that noticeably saps Morgoth's power and changes his appearance?

Should the creation of Glaurung be something that noticeably saps Morgoth's power and changes his appearance?
I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, it seems logical that he should feel weaker. That's simply how things work for him. On the other hand, showing him becoming deformed and weaker everytime he does something powerful doesn't really work. People will think he hasn't got anything left after a while, that he's finished, and that's not true. It also risks becoming comical. I think the problems with this make good arguments to not showing the creation of Glaurung at all. Perhaps he's a bit weakened but the change is subtle, and he's doing a number of things so we c an't say it's because of the dragon project.

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, it seems logical that he should feel weaker. That's simply how things work for him. On the other hand, showing him becoming deformed and weaker everytime he does something powerful doesn't really work. People will think he hasn't got anything left after a while, that he's finished, and that's not true. It also risks becoming comical. I think the problems with this make good arguments to not showing the creation of Glaurung at all. Perhaps he's a bit weakened but the change is subtle, and he's doing a number of things so we c an't say it's because of the dragon project.
I'm still not sure how much we should show of the Glaurung project.

Question: when Sauron created the One Ring (since Morgoth's Ring is Arda itself), is he any weaker after the process?

Yes, but not while he's wearing the Ring.

I agree that Episode 13 Morgoth should be more aged/gaunt/drained than Episode 1 Morgoth. He had both the dragon project and whatever he did in Hildorien to take something out of him.

But any dragon creation scenes will only be in flashback, likely later.

Yes, but not while he's wearing the Ring.

I agree that Episode 13 Morgoth should be more aged/gaunt/drained than Episode 1 Morgoth. He had both the dragon project and whatever he did in Hildorien to take something out of him.

But any dragon creation scenes will only be in flashback, likely later.
Is there going to be a moment that he's going to genuinely fear for his life? Because by the time of his duel with Fingolfin, he's going to be fearful of his life.

Maybe Morgoth could emerge from wherever he has been working on Glaurung with some scratches or burns, which immediately heal. This would contrast his inability to heal fully from the wounds that Fingolfin and Thorondor give him later on.

Maybe Morgoth could emerge from wherever he has been working on Glaurung with some scratches or burns, which immediately heal. This would contrast his inability to heal fully from the wounds that Fingolfin and Thorondor give him later on.
So do we give him an injury that doesn't heal, like a cut while shaving? ;)

Back