S04E11 Script Discussion

Nicholas Palazzo

So... about tomorrow night. As some of you are aware, my wife and daughter got pretty sick on the way back from China. That, and not sleeping much for nearly a week between the trip and caring for the two of them caused me to eventually succumb myself. I'm afraid that I must beg your kind indulgence for a few days at least, and was wondering if Sunday might be possible. I know that time is not really an available luxury at this point, and that we may have to do some back-to-back weeks even without this delay. Do let me know if Sunday works, or even a weekday after that.

So... about tomorrow night. As some of you are aware, my wife and daughter got pretty sick on the way back from China. That, and not sleeping much for nearly a week between the trip and caring for the two of them caused me to eventually succumb myself. I'm afraid that I must beg your kind indulgence for a few days at least, and was wondering if Sunday might be possible. I know that time is not really an available luxury at this point, and that we may have to do some back-to-back weeks even without this delay. Do let me know if Sunday works, or even a weekday after that.
I could do Sunday. I hope you and your family get better.

Alright, so I've got a Skype call scheduled. I have acquired a version of Skype designed for content creators, so I'm going to try one last whack at streaming this.

Also, anyone who wants to join, feel free to ask for an invite if you can't get the following link to work.

SFP Season 4 Episode 11

A Plot – Celeborn and Galadriel engaged

B Plot – Finrod requests Thingol’s aid

C Plot – Turgon finds the vale of Tumladen

Protagonist: Celeborn

Teaser: Thranduil is not overly impressed with the work the dwarves have done to restore the Desolation of Smaug. Dain invites him into Erebor to see their mines.

Act 1

1. Finrod and Turgon, having awakened from their dreams, travel down the river to the Falls of Sirion. They are oddly quiet, unwilling to share their dreams with one another. Finrod decides to go on to Doriath.

2. Turgon returns to Vinyamar. He is restless, and invites Glorfindel and Ecthelion to go on walkabout with him in Beleriand.

3. Finrod arrives in Doriath, greets Galadriel, and diplomatically requests Thingol’s aid. He flatters Thingol's Menegroth, and shares his own desire to create a safe haven for the Noldor.

4. At the breakfast table, Thingol reveals to Celeborn (and others) why he is so angry at Finrod for hiding the truth of the Kinslaying. Mablung reminds Thingol that Fingolfin accepted his ban.

Act 2

5. Finrod talks to Galadriel, explaining his dream and his wish for a safe haven. Galadriel realizes her welcome in Doriath might be coming to an end, and is invested in the outcome.

6. Celeborn gets some supplies from the dwarves. He invites Galadriel to come bake something with him for a feast (or other cozy domestic scene). Galadriel realizes that their relationship is serious, and she should take a step back.

7. Turgon, Glorfindel and Ecthelion go to the Pools of Ivrin. Turgon is hoping for guidance, but receives nothing direct.

8. Melian is weaving (decorations for the feast?), working on her loom. She suggests Thingol figure out his own nonsense.

Act 3

9. Turgon travels through Beleriand with Glorfindel and Ecthelion, following birds.

10. Celeborn and Thingol are hunting in Neldoreth. Seeing the opportunity for a private moment, Celeborn tells him that they're kinsmen, they've known each other forever, and Thingol has saved his life. But even so, there are times people think better of sharing information that will only hurt. And he knew about the Kinslaying before Círdan told Thingol. Before he can explain, Thingol tells him to stop talking to him.

11. Turgon travels north along the River Mindeb. Rather than continue on through the pass to Dorthonion, they decide to go back to Minas Tirith and check in with Finrod on Tol Sirion, see if he's back from Doriath yet.

12. At the feast, Daeron and Celeborn are talking about the women they care about and are very much not married to. Finrod joins them, interupting their conversation. Celeborn tries to feel out what type of realm Finrod plans to have, and gets an invitation. Lúthien urges Galadriel to dance with Celeborn, wondering when she and Celeborn are going to make it official. Galadriel says there might not be a future there. Daeron invites Lúthien to dance. Finrod comes over and tells Galadriel, 'Oh, I have something for you!' and hands over a small box.

Act 4

13. Coming into the vale of Tumladen through the Hidden Way, Turgon meets Thorondor and is given permission to build his city there.

14. Celeborn goes to Galadriel. She tells him she will leave and stop causing him trouble with his king. Celeborn chooses her, and proposes. He gives her the silver ring he had in scene 6; Galadriel gives him the ring Finrod gave her in scene 12.

15. Melian ensorcells Thingol, entrapping him in a dark forest where he can only hear her voice. They reconcile.

16. When released from Melian’s grotto, Thingol finds Celeborn. Celeborn offers to leave. Thingol reassures Celeborn that he has his trust, and that they have always been there for one another.

Tag: Thranduil is very impressed with the dwarf mines. He changes the policy to allow the dwarves through Mirkwood.

Last edited:
Wow! Melian sounds really manipulative and oppressive...
Never quite had the i pression that her magic works THIS way.

Wow! Melian sounds really manipulative and oppressive...
Never quite had the i pression that her magic works THIS way.

The point of the scene is that she demonstrates to Thingol precisely the opposite. He is accusing her of being manipulative and oppressive and she pulls a "DO NOT TAKE ME FOR SOME CONJURER OF CHEAP TRICKS!" on him to show that she certainly could do those things if she so chose. Instead, she wants Thingol to rule his kingdom, while she occupies an advisory role.

Yeah, Melian's conflicts (with Thingol in this episode and with Galadriel earlier in the season) have fallen at the end of the episode, making them more tense and dramatic. Melian isn't a bad person, but she apparently does have a bit of a dramatic flair when it comes to her magic, which is shadowy, and thus a bit creepy.

Thingol knows his wife is a powerful being, and while he's not exactly insecure in his kingship, that doesn't mean he's without moments of doubt or suspicion that she's just patting him on the head.

Her goal here is to reassure him - but not by downplaying who she really is. He is meant to come out of this reaffirming his love for her, not terrified out of his wits.

It's a spat, not a real fight.

My too brief summary doesn't do the scene justice. I apologize.

I still feel sad for both of them...
first he gets entrapped by, well really powerful love, then he becomes an arrogant dickhead, then she remembers him of her real actual power...this time not by two-sided , fated love-enchantment but by using force. That is a damn sad story!

I still feel sad for both of them...
first he gets entrapped by, well really powerful love, then he becomes an arrogant dickhead, then she remembers him of her real actual power...this time not by two-sided , fated love-enchantment but by using force. That is a damn sad story!

There is certainly an element of tragedy involved in any fairy romance story. Especially a story in which one of the characters is spiralling into near-villainy as Thingol does.

To get a bit real for a second here, many of the conflicts in my own marriage have, at their center, occasional resentment that I have for my wife being so dang right all the time. I can certainly relate to both Thingol and Melian in this story.

There is certainly an element of tragedy involved in any fairy romance story. Especially a story in which one of the characters is spiralling into near-villainy as Thingol does.

To get a bit real for a second here, many of the conflicts in my own marriage have, at their center, occasional resentment that I have for my wife being so dang right all the time. I can certainly relate to both Thingol and Melian in this story.
Well, I wouldn’t say he’s done his biggest spiral yet; I think that Beren and Luthien is the story where Thingol plays the most antagonistic role since his racism towards Men (the race) kicks off his challenge to Beren.

Well, I wouldn’t say he’s done his biggest spiral yet; I think that Beren and Luthien is the story where Thingol plays the most antagonistic role since his racism towards Men (the race) kicks off his challenge to Beren.

Right, but Thingol will never again put his issues on Melian.

I still think it doesn't make melian ,look very good... but i am curious how it will look in the finished script!

Back