Session 4-27, 4-28: Post-production Script Review, Parts 3 and 4

Why does the scenario in my newest script (Sauron reporting to Gothmog about the success of his part of the plan) not work?

Well, presumably, that news is days late, for one. If Gothmog was going to set up a method to deal with the onset of the Feanoreans, he would have to have done so by this point. It seems mostly like this news is being brought to Gothmog at this very moment so that Sauron can spot Edhellos rather than because the information is useful to Gothmog. Gothmog likely would have known of this while he was digging in in preparation for Fingolfin's arrival. Also, it only increases Sauron's culpability here. Sauron delivers these assurances to Gothmog while Sauron's forces, specifically geared for tasks like screening for enemy movements, somehow are missing the arrival of the Feanoreans. In fact, Celegorm would likely have to have already passed north of them in order to make his charge later on in the same engagement.

Well, presumably, that news is days late, for one. If Gothmog was going to set up a method to deal with the onset of the Feanoreans, he would have to have done so by this point. It seems mostly like this news is being brought to Gothmog at this very moment so that Sauron can spot Edhellos rather than because the information is useful to Gothmog. Gothmog likely would have known of this while he was digging in in preparation for Fingolfin's arrival. Also, it only increases Sauron's culpability here. Sauron delivers these assurances to Gothmog while Sauron's forces, specifically geared for tasks like screening for enemy movements, somehow are missing the arrival of the Feanoreans. In fact, Celegorm would likely have to have already passed north of them in order to make his charge later on in the same engagement.
The news isn't new. Gothmog would have been expecting Sauron to do his job and make sure that the Feanorians do not come. Would it help if I made this more clear that it is a confirmation of something Gothmog already knows?

The news isn't new. Gothmog would have been expecting Sauron to do his job and make sure that the Feanorians do not come. Would it help if I made this more clear that it is a confirmation of something Gothmog already knows?

So, Sauron comes to the battle, why?

Personally, I find the suggestion that Sauron would go out of his way to inform Gothmog of anything at all a bit of a stretch. And that he would go into a battlefield - not as a general with a host around him but as a messenger?

Personally, I find the suggestion that Sauron would go out of his way to inform Gothmog of anything at all a bit of a stretch. And that he would go into a battlefield - not as a general with a host around him but as a messenger?
Sauron doesn't have to like it, but this attack on Minas Tirith without the intervention of the Feanorians requires him to work with Gothmog.

Sauron doesn't have to like it, but this attack on Minas Tirith without the intervention of the Feanorians requires him to work with Gothmog.
I don't mean him liking it, I suggest that he would not do it. He would send someone.

I don't mean him liking it, I suggest that he would not do it. He would send someone.
He could, but he doesn't need to. Sauron likes to do things personally, and he probably wants to see what is happening on the battlefield for himself. Plus, he gets a chance to insult Gothmog.

He could, but he doesn't need to. Sauron likes to do things personally, and he probably wants to see what is happening on the battlefield for himself. Plus, he gets a chance to insult Gothmog.
Then he would come as a general with a large host.

Then he would come as a general with a large host.
I agree, but the hosts of the podcast didn't want Sauron to be a general. They did, however, agree that he and his forces could be prowling the edges of the battlefield and taking prisoners.

I agree, but the hosts of the podcast didn't want Sauron to be a general. They did, however, agree that he and his forces could be prowling the edges of the battlefield and taking prisoners.

They did, but I'm still unconvinced that them doing so wouldn't give them plenty of warning of the impending Feanorean attack.

Sauron said he was going to do this, but there wasn't a 100% chance of success. Now he's confirming that it did happen.

This was done some time ago. Why is Gothmog only finding out about this now? This happened before Angrod and Aegnor even left Dorthonion. What prevented this confirmation from reaching Gothmog in the intervening time?

But then he can’t reach Gothmog.

They did, but I'm still unconvinced that them doing so wouldn't give them plenty of warning of the impending Feanorean attack.
If they aren't there, where would they be?
This was done some time ago. Why is Gothmog only finding out about this now? This happened before Angrod and Aegnor even left Dorthonion. What prevented this confirmation from reaching Gothmog in the intervening time?
Travelling. Neither Sauron nor Gothmog has a bunny sled. :)

Sauron himself can go to Gothmog, his forces just can't engage in battle.
I’m saying I think that is entirely implausible. He will not wade solo through a battle to deliver a message, not to Gothmog (for any reason), not to anyone (well, probably to Morgoth).

Travelling. Neither Sauron nor Gothmog has a bunny sled. :)

Right. And Gothmog was right near Angband when it happened. And Sauron can fly. That's not going to cut it.

Likely with Sauron, safe in Angband. Or raiding the relatively unprotected settlements of Beleriand, and kidnapping people who aren't soldiers ready for (or engaged in) battle.

Back