Jewelry

Presumably not. I don't think it would burn with him. Moreover, I think any arguments between his sons about succession would be more potent if there were a physical crown present in the scene.
Or was it not taken when Maedhros was captured?

Or was it not taken when Maedhros was captured?
It doesn't have to be. Maedhros may not have been wearing it, or he could have lost it in the battle. Morgoth could have even left it on Maedhros' head when he chained him to the wall.

It doesn't have to be. Maedhros may not have been wearing it, or he could have lost it in the battle. Morgoth could have even left it on Maedhros' head when he chained him to the wall.

I doubt Morgoth left much of anything on Maedhros when chaining him to the wall. Enough clothes to keep him decent at most.

We did a bit of discussing of Finwë's crown during seasons 2 and 3. We decided that Fëanor enlarged it to fit over a helmet and added sockets for the Silmarils. Without time to adjust it for his own helm, Maedhros likely wasn't wearing it when captured.

The Ring that Finrod gives to Galadriel: what should it look like? It isn't like the Ring of Barahir (two emerald-eyed serpents, one devouring and one supporting a crown of golden flowers), right?

The Ring that Finrod gives to Galadriel: what should it look like? It isn't like the Ring of Barahir (two emerald-eyed serpents, one devouring and one supporting a crown of golden flowers), right?
It's not. As far as I know, the only stipulation is that it has to be silver because it is an engagement ring.

Something like this?
0900631B81E588CBM

I might suggest a braided silver ring, just to give it an interesting appearance while still being (essentially) a plain band.

Plain:
DP0715201417094280M

sterling-silver-braided-band-ring-63_540x.jpg

Or more decorated:
il_fullxfull.862265810_9xfk.jpg

s-l1000.jpg

Or, yes, with vines and other motifs.

il_fullxfull.755201571_t0ts.jpg
s-l1000.jpg

The most* 'elvish' ring I own is the one I bought in a pawn shop the only time in my life I have ever been in a pawn shop (pictured below):

As you can see, it is plain metal; no gems. It looks like two leaves. Very art nouveau. Obviously, it's not silver, but you could make something like this in silver, if you wanted to.

Since we're going to have Celeborn wear the ring originally intended for Amarië, it's important that we make it unisex. So, plainer is better. But considering what sort of jewelry Tolkien's male characters (both human and elf) are clearly comfortable wearing, I'm not sure a 'masculine' design is necessary.

*I must admit that I do actually own a plain silver band with two names etched into it in Tolkien's runes, a gift that was certainly intended in the same context as what we're discussing with Finrod/Amarië and Galadriel/Celeborn. So, uh, when I say 'most' elvish, it's obviously a matter of opinion.....

I think we should stick to a silver band without any jewel in it. I am fine with it being a fancy band, or having decorative motifs. Not a claddagh, obviously, but something as complicated is fine.

Irish-Claddagh-Ring.jpg

And the more nature-y the better.

il_340x270.1339300837_9p11.jpg

Maybe diamond or orb patterns for Noldor, star or cloud or mountainpatterns for vanyar, leafpatterns for Nandor and Wave or swanpatterns for Teleri?

Maybe diamond or orb patterns for Noldor, star or cloud or mountainpatterns for vanyar, leafpatterns for Nandor and Wave or swanpatterns for Teleri?
I wouldn't say for the Sindarin Teleri. They seem to be more tied with trees than with the sea (at least the ones in Doriath).

Perhaps these could work as general principles, but I think that especially the Noldor would design rings for individuals and occasions.

Perhaps these could work as general principles, but I think that especially the Noldor would design rings for individuals and occasions.

I agree. There's a temptation to stamp everything with the category of the person making/wearing it. There is some value to that because it helps the audience keep track of our Cast of Thousands. But, we also run the risk of turning these groups into Cultures of Hats.

Back