Dragon-Helm of Dor-Lomin

Here is my attempt at a design for the crest and visor of the Dragon-helm. Obviously, it would be much more decorated; I just wanted to see what you guys thought of the overall shape before I draw anything more detailed.
View attachment 2510

Personally, I believe that the dragon crest should be bigger. Not quite as big as the one in the CoH novel art, but still large enough that the helmet is almost unusable, as it was described as not being able to be worn by Elves and most men because of the size and weight of it. Hador, Galdor and Turin are the only ones ever said to have actually worn it, other than Azaghal.

The front is hinged too.
View attachment 2511

Either hinged, or the front/neck part could be strapped on. I know I've seen helmets of that type before.

Personally, I believe that the dragon crest should be bigger. Not quite as big as the one in the CoH novel art, but still large enough that the helmet is almost unusable, as it was described as not being able to be worn by Elves and most men because of the size and weight of it. Hador, Galdor and Turin are the only ones ever said to have actually worn it, other than Azaghal.

Either hinged, or the front/neck part could be strapped on. I know I've seen helmets of that type before.

The problem with jousting helmets is that they often restrict the movement of the head quite a bit, as this one likely would. It would also come across as a bit anachronistic when not paired with fully articulated plate armor.

You know... the helmet was a dwarfwork masterpiece...

What if they had made a mechanism... to have the visor hevable to fully slide into the high helmet bell?
i think there are some few modern motorcycle helmets that work like this...

You know... the helmet was a dwarfwork masterpiece...

What if they had made a mechanism... to have the visor hevable to fully slide into the high helmet bell?
i think there are some few modern motorcycle helmets that work like this...
Is this what you mean?
mur5211a.jpg

Managed to find a clip from Ivanhoe (1982) where a dragon-crested great helm is shown. Hope it stays. The character is Maurice De Bracy (Stuart Wilson), whose surcoat is magenta.

In the discussion, we mentioned people wearing animal skins/skulls as a model for how to incorporate the dragon defiantly.

Here are some examples, starting with the suggestion in the podcast.

Hercules wearing the pelt of the Nemean Lion
1629014233950.png
1629014355034.png
img01med.jpg

The bear skull helm from The 13th Warrior
1629013003085.png

Definitely scary to see this thing coming towards you in battle....
1629013069705.png

A less significant version of this is the lion mane/headpiece the White Witch wears during the battle in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.
1629013569832.png

Princess Mononoke has a wolf mask + skin:
1629013888382.png
1629013930753.png

Another direction to look is the Krampus masks and similar traditional costumes that have 'monstrous' faces. (Or Perchten , or Badalisc)

1629014613959.png

800px-Krampus_Salzburg_5.jpg

1629015172980.png

carnival-in-austria-styria.width-1600.jpg

Last edited:
I started to think about Asian demon masks, and these ones are dragon masks from Bali. They’re kind of interesting since they’re both a little scary and at the same time they could be taken to be ridiculing the dragon. FEF1A806-3E19-4985-8545-4FDB3754A3CB.jpeg6DB53642-0D87-4B69-B549-B7FA7F94AF48.jpeg

In the discussion, we mentioned people wearing animal skins/skulls as a model for how to incorporate the dragon defiantly.

Here are some examples, starting with the suggestion in the podcast.

Hercules wearing the pelt of the Nemean Lion
View attachment 3861
View attachment 3862
img01med.jpg

The bear skull helm from The 13th Warrior
View attachment 3856

Definitely scary to see this thing coming towards you in battle....
View attachment 3857

A less significant version of this is the lion mane/headpiece the White Witch wears during the battle in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.
View attachment 3858

Princess Mononoke has a wolf mask + skin:
View attachment 3859
View attachment 3860

Another direction to look is the Krampus masks and similar traditional costumes that have 'monstrous' faces. (Or Perchten , or Badalisc)

View attachment 3863

800px-Krampus_Salzburg_5.jpg

View attachment 3864

carnival-in-austria-styria.width-1600.jpg
I guess I need a little convincing of the practicality of the designs; the facial looks seem to be made of material that wouldn't likely hold up in a battle.

Back