Session 4-34: Listener Contributions

MithLuin

Administrator
Staff member
The FINAL session for Season 4 will be held on February 13th, 2020 at 10PM Eastern Time.

I would encourage everyone to post your contributions on the boards between now and then. Also, if would be helpful if you either post that in this thread, or post a link to your work in this thread, so I'm able to find everything that people intend to be submitted for the final episode of Season 4.

I'm particularly interested in any 3D set designs, artwork, costume designs, props, dragons, etc!

I think I posted my painting of Glaurung somewhere on the boards earlier, but here it is again, along with my paintings of Thuringwethil, Draugluin, and Tevildo.
View attachment 2599

View attachment 2600
View attachment 2601

Another painting I've done is the Gondolin Luxury Tower Apartments, found herehttps://forums.signumuniversity.org/index.php?threads/gondolin.3443/post-31441, which I based on Nick's design in Minecraft.
In light of recent discussions, I would like to clarify that I painted this series a month or two before I became involved in SilmFilm, so they reflect my personal designs for the characters.

I also would not mind at all if only the first image is submitted to the hosts and not the latter two. I posted them because I painted these around the same time, and in my mind, the three kind of go together, but I don't want them to start a discussion about things that are not relevant this season and take time away from discussion of other people's artwork for Season 4. Alternatively, perhaps the latter two paintings could be put at the end of the slideshow and only discussed if the hosts get through everything else.

Rhiannon, I'm happy to share your artwork with the Hosts. If you don't want me to include it, I won't, but I'm fine with mentioning it's based on Book of Lost Tales Tevildo.

Thuringwethil, Draugluin, and Tevildo are characters in Season 4, so it's not irrelevant to include artwork of them at this time, but I understand that you painted that independent of our discussions of these characters. That's okay!

Honestly, Tolkien artist Jenny Dolfen has produced a few pieces this year that just so happen to be completely relevant to Season 4 scenes - Fingon playing his harp at Thangorodrim, Maedhros gifting horses to the host of Fingolfin, and Fingon and his riders confronting a young Glaurung. I've been debating adding them to the slideshow, despite the fact that she is (obviously) illustrating the published Silmarillion, and has no involvement with Silm Film at all.

He Sang a Song of Valinor
il_794xN.2220123453_ac5z.jpg

Atonement

il_794xN.2212641475_ggeq.jpg

Then Fingon Rode Against Him
il_794xN.1876677669_828x.jpg

Obviously, she's on a bit of a Fingon kick these days!

(All prints are available in her etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/JennyDolfenArt )

And I will fully admit that the scene between Maedhros and Maglor in Episode 2 is something I suggested based on one of her older paintings.
Forgive Me, My Brother
108px-Jenny_Dolfen_-_Forgive_me%2C_my_brother.jpg

I probably won't add these, because I'm not sure they'd add much to the conversation at this point and the focus is on listener contributions, but I am tempted!

Last edited:
I think I posted my painting of Glaurung somewhere on the boards earlier, but here it is again, along with my paintings of Thuringwethil, Draugluin, and Tevildo.
View attachment 2599

View attachment 2600
View attachment 2601

Another painting I've done is the Gondolin Luxury Tower Apartments, found herehttps://forums.signumuniversity.org/index.php?threads/gondolin.3443/post-31441, which I based on Nick's design in Minecraft.

Given recent discussions, I figured I'd weigh in on this more specifically. I think Glaurung is spot on, and Thuringwethil as well. Thuringwethil will have plenty of opportunities to be in several forms, but I do like this one for her Angband look.

Draughluin seems a bit... fluffy to me. I think the expression is good, but the fluffiness makes him less intimidating (at least from the safety of looking at him on a screen).

Tevildo gives me the same feeling. Regardless of size, housecats just don't seem to be physically imposing. The siamese cats in "Lady and the Tramp" are evil and manipulative, but not intimidating in a physical sense. While cats are chasing Beleg through the forests, or facing off with Angrod and Edhellos, there would be an element of comedy to it, no matter how dire the situations might be. The collar kind of worsens the situation, suggesting a tameness that might be opposite what we are going for.

Given recent discussions, I figured I'd weigh in on this more specifically. I think Glaurung is spot on, and Thuringwethil as well. Thuringwethil will have plenty of opportunities to be in several forms, but I do like this one for her Angband look.

Draughluin seems a bit... fluffy to me. I think the expression is good, but the fluffiness makes him less intimidating (at least from the safety of looking at him on a screen).

Tevildo gives me the same feeling. Regardless of size, housecats just don't seem to be physically imposing. The siamese cats in "Lady and the Tramp" are evil and manipulative, but not intimidating in a physical sense. While cats are chasing Beleg through the forests, or facing off with Angrod and Edhellos, there would be an element of comedy to it, no matter how dire the situations might be. The collar kind of worsens the situation, suggesting a tameness that might be opposite what we are going for.
We could still use the collar, just give a different context; maybe rank?

Ok just to give some idea of what kind of Tevildo I would like to see, I made this sketch. He's basically a big jaguar, but without the spots, and with some added human features, notably a regal beard. The size doesn't show that well, but I hope he looks like he could hold his own in a fight, and I want him to look a bit crazy in a scary, not clownish way.

Rhiannon, I'm happy to share your artwork with the Hosts. If you don't want me to include it, I won't, but I'm fine with mentioning it's based on Book of Lost Tales Tevildo.

Thuringwethil, Draugluin, and Tevildo are characters in Season 4, so it's not irrelevant to include artwork of them at this time, but I understand that you painted that independent of our discussions of these characters. That's okay!
I'll leave it up to you to decide whether or not and where to include them. I just don't want them to come across as challenging the designs the hosts have decided on. The shape of Tevildo's head and body in my painting were based primarily on a bobcat, although I gave him a much longer tail.

I was going for raised hackles on both Draugluin and Tevildo, but I definitely see how it comes across as fluffy. Also, I was getting pretty lazy in my brush strokes by the time I got to the fur Draugluin's body and probably should have used more ink like I did in the head. I'll try redrawing Draugluin and Tevildo sometime, but probably not before the next SilmFilm session since I have a few other pictures and a sculpture I am trying to finish up.

Honestly, Tolkien artist Jenny Dolfen has produced a few pieces this year that just so happen to be completely relevant to Season 4 scenes - Fingon playing his harp at Thangorodrim, Maedhros gifting horses to the host of Fingolfin, and Fingon and his riders confronting a young Glaurung. I've been debating adding them to the slideshow, despite the fact that she is (obviously) illustrating the published Silmarillion, and has no involvement with Silm Film at all.

He Sang a Song of Valinor
il_794xN.2220123453_ac5z.jpg

Atonement

il_794xN.2212641475_ggeq.jpg

Then Fingon Rode Against Him
il_794xN.1876677669_828x.jpg

Obviously, she's on a bit of a Fingon kick these days!

(All prints are available in her etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/JennyDolfenArt )

And I will fully admit that the scene between Maedhros and Maglor in Episode 2 is something I suggested based on one of her older paintings.
Forgive Me, My Brother
108px-Jenny_Dolfen_-_Forgive_me%2C_my_brother.jpg

I probably won't add these, because I'm not sure they'd add much to the conversation at this point and the focus is on listener contributions, but I am tempted!
Do you think it’s worth inviting Dolfen for a session at some point like the Hosts did with Ted Nasmith?

That would be amazing, though I am pretty sure that Prof. Olsen already had an established dialogue with Nasmith at the time.
I’d like to see that happen.

Looking at some of Nasmith’s art, why is Maedhros shown with his right hand instead of his left?
180px-Ted_Nasmith_-_Maedhros_Casts_Himself_into_a_Chasm.jpg

Are you sure that's not a mirror image of the original artwork? I can't tell at that size.
Oh, huh, it's on his website that way. Still, though, it's possible the image got flipped at some point. It is listed under sketches and studies, so should not be taken as a final illustration.
https://www.tednasmith.com/tolkien/maedhros-casts-himself-into-a-chasm/

I don't think I'd seen his Lake Helevorn illustration before.
TN-Lake_Helevorn.jpg

Jenny Dolfen lives in Germany, so I don't see her being available to be a guest on a Silm Film broadcast any time soon. As far as I know, she doesn't have any pre-existing relationship with Signum, but I'd love to invite her to be a guest if that was something the hosts wanted to do.

Are you sure that's not a mirror image of the original artwork? I can't tell at that size.
Oh, huh, it's on his website that way. Still, though, it's possible the image got flipped at some point. It is listed under sketches and studies, so should not be taken as a final illustration.
https://www.tednasmith.com/tolkien/maedhros-casts-himself-into-a-chasm/

I don't think I'd seen his Lake Helevorn illustration before.
TN-Lake_Helevorn.jpg

Jenny Dolfen lives in Germany, so I don't see her being available to be a guest on a Silm Film broadcast any time soon. As far as I know, she doesn't have any pre-existing relationship with Signum, but I'd love to invite her to be a guest if that was something the hosts wanted to do.

Wow... his Lake Helevorn picture is pretty close to what we've been talking about.

ohhh pretty! I haven't seen her work before (let me quickly note that down). In this one Caranthir seems to have quite a bit of a fleet, so not only a lot of trade by road, but also by river going on here. (Or lake helevorn is a lot bigger here)

Jenny Dolfen's website:
https://goldseven.wordpress.com/

Etsy shop:
https://www.etsy.com/shop/JennyDolfenArt

Patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/jennydolfen/posts

She is one of my favorite Tolkien artists, especially for the Silmarillion! Another of my favorites is Polish artist Kasiopea/Catherine Karina Chmiel/Katarzyna Chmiel-Gugulska
Samples of her art may be found here, but I don't know if her own website is currently active.
http://www.silmarillionwritersguild.org/artist/kasiopea.php
https://www.facebook.com/pg/theArtOfKasiopea/photos/?ref=page_internal

Back