Season 1 Episode Outlines

We don't have to see the Manwë and Varda entering into Arda, we just need to know that they have/are going to enter into Arda.

If Melkor does all of this before the music, then are the Valar groups already formed by the time the first theme begins? That wasn't fully fleshed out in the Episode One discussion so I would have to go back and tweak that.

And if we do decide to do some time jumping, how do we convey that? That should be a part of the outline.

When I get the chance, I will review the Episode 1 and 2 outlines that you have typed up, and provide some commentary on what the script discussion came up with where it differs. That doesn't mean that the script discussion would be right and the outline wrong; we just should know what the deviations are and decide what to do about that.

Time is very tricky in episodes 1 and 3; I think that as long as we are moving chronologically through the episode (so, no skipping back and forth) we should be fine with not losing the audience. If the audience doesn't pick up on exactly when things are happening in the Timeless Halls...it's not a big loss. But we should know the order of events, and I agree that it should be explicit in the outlines.

The Hosts, for instance, have been adamant that we will *NOT* depict Ilúvatar - he is a voice only. And yet, we have him appearing on screen and gesturing and such. He could be a column of light or something (not anthropomorphic), but...the script outline clearly intends *some* sort of visual representation. I think it is good for any changes like that to be clear in the outline, and appreciate the level of detail you are putting into these.

It will likely be easier to reference the actual discussion once we're working on outlines which aren't up only in 2-3 hour segments. :)

Yeah, there was a general feeling during the discussion of episode one that the abstractions the hosts said they wanted. I understood both points of view and attempted to mesh them as best I could.

Under the current version of the outline, Ilúvatar's face should be almost completely obscured by lighting effects. You would be able to make out the brows, and perhaps something of his mouth so that we can see both a smile, and a stern look.

I was always opposed to the complete abstraction of Ilúvatar's form because of the specificity in the text.

The jumping back in time from Episode 1 to Episode 3 would have to be handled through the voiceover, I believe. We have already established that there were interactions between the Ainur before the Music, so Elrond can just say something to the effect of: "Melkor's tale begins before the Music, in the untold ages when all the Ainur dwelt in the Timeless Halls of Ilúvatar."

Comments on Episode 1 Outline:

'Rivendell': There was some desire to see Elrond enter his library while Estel is playing in the hall. So, Elrond becomes the final elf who sees Estel running and playing, and this 'explains' his sudden appearance without it being overly-convenient timing, and makes the transition to the library more natural. The artifact in question was up in the air. One suggestion was a vase with a representation of Elwing on it. She is Elrond's (living) mother whom he has not seen since he was 2 years old, and thus any memory/memorial of her would be rather precious to him. It is, of course, a made-up item, though. My suggestion, given after the discussion, was that it be the silver harp we see Elrond carrying on his journey to the Grey Havens at the end of Lord of the Rings. Obviously, that object has enough importance to him for him to take it with him from Middle Earth, and I have read conjecture that this might have come to him from Maglor (his foster father). The added advantage is that it would not be destroyed, just damaged, and could be repaired. We were open to any other suggestions people might have for the artifact - anything from the history of Middle Earth that could (reasonably) be preserved in Rivendell is fair game here!
Typo: 'seized with fear'

'Elrond's Library': There was some desire to have the conversation between Elrond and Gilraen occur with Estel not present, so they could be a bit more candid about his background (mention the Dunedain). I think we had these conversations as separate scenes, with Gilraen 'fetching' Estel from the library, and then Elrond going to speak with her later to clear everything up. We can keep it the way it is written in the outline, so long as we mention sending Estel away first.

'Hall of Tapestries': This is looking much improved! I agree that we need to work on the transition. Perhaps Elrond could explain that the great deeds in the old tales are impressive in their own right, but much more interesting when you know the whole context of where these people came from - who they are, what they were fighting for, etc. Perhaps after a few back-and-forth questions with Estel (who knows he is not an elf, but is ignorant of the rest of his history), Elrond could get to the 'let's begin at the beginning' point - though it would be best to have Estel ask a question that prompts that.

I would split out the first, pre-Music, part of the Timeless Halls into it's own section ('The Ainur'?), and then begin the 'First Theme' with f.) [This point was also meant to be VO by Elrond, as no one wants to put words into Ilúvatar's mouth and the published Silmarillion does not actually have his dialogue here.]

I agree that we need to work out the 2nd Theme - I think you have the gist of it, though, with the groups forming and the colors. Perhaps Manwë could be a leader in the 2nd theme?

As for how the 3rd Theme ends, we do want to show the vision of Arda, as they see the vision before 'Ea!' However, there was strong opposition to seeing Arda 'floating in space', so the vision has to fill the screen and be a more zoomed-in vision, showing various aspects of the world and its history, but with some sort of hazy/misty quality so that it is clearly not real substance. After 'Ea!', do we see the reaction shots only or Arda-made-real? I forget, though I thought it was the latter. . . I know we wanted to see more of Melkor's reaction shots in Episode 3, especially to the line that everything that he does will be incorporated into Ilúvatar's plan, so we have to save that and the Ainur leaving for Episode 3.

References to the Blab discussion: https://blab.im/brian-fattorini-silmfilm-project-episode-outlines-season-1-session-1

Overview of the entire 'Timeless Halls' part of the episode: 3:44:30 - 4:08:00 (with Tulkas interlude 3:50 - 3:55 )

Melkor/Varda conversation pre-Music: 3:33:40 - 3:38:00
The Music of the Ainur: 3:55:00 - 4:08:00
Episode Ending: 4:10:50 - 4:15:40

(Hehe, I am silent and invisible during these segments, but clearly the people on camera can hear and respond to me ;) I would not expect *anyone* to try to listen to the 4+ hour discussion linked above, but if you fast-forward to the indicated clips you can at least listen to what was said about those topics. As you can see, we were rushed at the end and didn't have much time to discuss the actual Music in any great detail (and none of the aftermath), but there's something there, at least.)

Last edited:
Yeah, the length of that conversation was the driving force behind my wanting to carve up the videos into shorter lengths. I can't imagine anyone wanting to actually sit through such a long conversation.

Episode 2 is *much* more like what we intended, I think - we must have given you more to go on there ;).

I would say that the new details that have appeared are: the conversation with/about Ungoliant (she was just there in the shadows and they missed her in our original discussion, but this was debated later), the episode taking place in the evening/at night in Rivendell, and Manwë's much more proactive role in advancing his agenda. I am fine with these alterations, though I did like the idea of saving the 'hey, nice coastlines' moment until Yavanna arrived, as she was unaware of the conflict, and the comment seems more spontaneous, an innocent remark on the unintended beauty that contributes to the 'work together!' message without being didactic. But I appreciate the attention paid to Manwë's role as leader - this is 'his' episode, the way the next will be Melkor's.

I (well, Haakon and I) wanted to hold off on trees/forests until we have the Lamps. In paleobiology, the first plants with real roots are ferns, so I think that here, in the very earliest days, we should stick to 'primitive' plants like ferns, so we can have bracken rather than grasslands, forests or flowers. It will help to save some things to introduce later. So, no horse for Oromë yet (that comes after they go to Valinor). It also might help with the believability of these scenes if the earliest images are simple and the type of thing you might see on primitive earth.

I would say that, yes, the Valar already know each other, for the most part.

The artifact in question was up in the air. One suggestion was a vase with a representation of Elwing on it. She is Elrond's (living) mother whom he has not seen since he was 2 years old, and thus any memory/memorial of her would be rather precious to him. It is, of course, a made-up item, though. My suggestion, given after the discussion, was that it be the silver harp we see Elrond carrying on his journey to the Grey Havens at the end of Lord of the Rings. Obviously, that object has enough importance to him for him to take it with him from Middle Earth, and I have read conjecture that this might have come to him from Maglor (his foster father). The added advantage is that it would not be destroyed, just damaged, and could be repaired. We were open to any other suggestions people might have for the artifact - anything from the history of Middle Earth that could (reasonably) be preserved in Rivendell is fair game here!
I really like the harp idea. One alternative could be something that is connected to the memory of Elros. But that might be wrong for this season - maybe lateron.

I think there is room in these outlines to list alternative suggestions, as long as no one feels strongly for/against any of the ideas put forward. I'd rather give the hosts a list of 'potential' artifacts than arbitrarily pick one and have them not like it so much :p. So, in that vein, I think it was actually a vase/urn/bust/plate that depicted Elwing....

oh! And the conversation between Estel and Elladan at the beginning of the episode was key to get Estel's take on everything without Elrond or Gilraen there. So, bringing up the idea that his education is a 'punishment' for running wild was important, but he actually does like having the lessons (he likes to learn new things), so Elladan kinda calls him on it, saying that, well, if it's too much, maybe he could get him out of it...to which Estel pulls the Princess Bride, no! you can keep reading...if you want to....

(At least, that was how I saw that playing out.)

I do want to make sure we get Estel's viewpoint here, though, as he didn't get a lot of opportunity to speak for himself in the first episode.

Just wanted to pop in and gush about the work you guys have been doing. I'm sorry I haven't been available, my days are pretty jam packed since I started school, but I am elated at how much activity this forum is seeing, and think that, whatever else happens, you've all laid a really solid foundation for hitting the ground running next season. Keep up the great work!

Alex, are you good on Episode 3, or does it need more fleshing out for you to make the outline?

I'll need to redo Episode 1 first. But once I've got that one figured out, I can start on 3. No promises that it won't have holes, though.

So....I don't want to rush anyone, but....

The Hosts have requested the outlines ASAP, and given us a hard deadline of next Friday (April 29th).

I am unavailable after Tuesday, so for me that means I have 5 days left to work on this and then leave it all in your hands. So, please let me know if there is something you need for me to do....

I sort of gave my view of this episode earlier but only some small piece of that was actually adopted by the execs in the session. But it still more or less is where I stand so feel free to use any of it (or nothing) in shaping the outline. Perhaps it's not relevant for the outline you're making, but still.

Here is a more detailed version of what is supposed to be happening in Episode 3. I see we left the Music out of the outline entirely - no wonder it was confusing! It still needs work, but hopefully this is somewhat helpful.

Episode 3: He Who Arises in Might

Cast: Estel, Elrond, Gilraen, Melkor, Valaraukar, Varda, Ungoliant, Ilúvatar (voice)

Estel learns the origin story of the most powerful of the Valar, and Elrond is left to explain why there is evil in the world.

Frame Setting: Library of Rivendell – Elrond begins Estel’s next lesson. Very little frame setup this time; just a recap of ‘where were we?’ and then we’re off. Elrond explains that this part happens before the Music of the Ainur.

Timeless Halls: We begin with Melkor and Manwë and very few other Ainur in the Timeless Halls. This is while Ilúvatar is still creating the Ainur, so not everyone is ‘born’ yet. As the Ainur are created, they join into small groups and begin singing. Melkor approaches the Valaraukar (Proto-balrogs) and instructs them in how they should sing. They enthusiastically respond to his instruction. Melkor then approaches another group and tries to do the same...but confusion results and they cease singing. Melkor awkwardly leaves. He is clearly frustrated by those who do not think like he does, but sympathetic as the audience should see him as someone whose attempts at conversation at a party have failed.

The Void: When Melkor leaves the Timeless Halls, which are brightly lit (if indistinct in form), he finds himself in a strange dark nothingness. He himself glows faintly, but the light bleeds off of him, blurring his form. He is searching for something, silently.

Timeless Halls: When Melkor returns to the Halls, they should seem bright and loud in comparison to where he just was. The transition is jarring. He sees Varda. She asks him where he was, and he explains that he was looking for something, but he’s not sure what it was. There is something more, he thinks, that Eru is not sharing with the Ainur. Varda tells him that it sounds like he means the Flame Imperishable, and she explains to him what that is – [a light that gives thought substance, or something like that]. Intrigued, Melkor returns to the Void to renew his search more eagerly.

The Void: Melkor meets Ungoliant, the first being he has encountered in this dark blank space. She is intrigued by him, as she has never met another being before. He is somewhat unnerved by her, but explains what it is he is looking for, thinking she might know where it is (or even be hiding it). She is *very* interested in his description, and expresses hunger for this Flame he speaks of. It is clear she does not have it, and he flees from her, back towards the Timeless Halls.

Frame: At the end of the lesson, Estel is quiet, pensive, disturbed. He returns home to Gilraen, who notices the change in his demeanor and asks the reason for it. When he tells her, she is visibly displeased.

[Gilraen is standing at the gate to Imladris, looking out at the very road that brought her and Estel to the Last Homely House. Elrond approaches, sensing her disquiet. Gilraen confronts him on teaching her son about Melkor, worrying about how that might influence/terrify him. Elrond convinces Gilraen of the importance of understanding how the darkness takes its victims. It is the lack of knowledge and wisdom that lead the Numenoreans to their fall.] (Feel free to adapt this conflict).

Estel returns to the Library for his next lesson. Elrond brings up whatever needs to be said after the conversation with Gilraen, and then gets into the story.

Timeless Halls: Melkor returns from the Void. In his conversation with Varda, he is passionate about his desire to make things, perhaps even describing them. When Varda expresses agreement with him, Melkor is elated, takes her hand, asking her to return to the Void with him to find the Flame Imperishable. She retreats from him, insisting that the Flame Imperishable is not in the Void, but it is with Iluvatar. When Melkor says that Iluvatar is taking no thought for the Void, Varda sees through him, sees his pride.

[The Music happens here – not a ‘redo’ of the whole thing, but whatever key Melkor-perspective moments we need. We can perhaps cut from Varda and Melkor’s conversation, to the call to assemble for the Music, and then an overall image of the Music filling the Timeless Halls.]

We get the aftermath of the Vision, when Ilúvatar says ‘Ea!’ and when he tells Melkor that nothing can be done without fitting into his own themes. We definitely get Melkor’s reaction to this statement.

Frame: In Imladris, Estel asks where Melkor is now. Elrond seems somewhat uncomfortable, but answers that he is in the Void, but that he cannot come there.

Void: We cut back to Melkor looking down over Arda from the Void. The camera rotates to show the proto-Balrogs ranged behind Melkor, looking to him for leadership. Melkor tells them to await his call, then descends to Arda by himself. When he arrives in Arda, he begins to walk away from the camera, as the ground becomes dried and cracked beneath his feet. (See the Giants’ Causeway, Northern Ireland).

I sort of gave my view of this episode earlier but only some small piece of that was actually adopted by the execs in the session. But it still more or less is where I stand so feel free to use any of it (or nothing) in shaping the outline. Perhaps it's not relevant for the outline you're making, but still.

Well, is there anything you think needs to go in now? I mean, we can have alternate paths/options left in these outlines - they don't have to be final with only one option presented. Though, if what you were thinking doesn't fit at all, it might be difficult to work it in now.

Well, is there anything you think needs to go in now? I mean, we can have alternate paths/options left in these outlines - they don't have to be final with only one option presented. Though, if what you were thinking doesn't fit at all, it might be difficult to work it in now.
I'll check asap and get back if I find anything I feel is a must.

So....I don't want to rush anyone, but....

The Hosts have requested the outlines ASAP, and given us a hard deadline of next Friday (April 29th).

I am unavailable after Tuesday, so for me that means I have 5 days left to work on this and then leave it all in your hands. So, please let me know if there is something you need for me to do....

Unfortunately, I know for a fact that I won't have all of these outlines done by April 29th. Aintnobodygottimefordat. These things take many hours to compile and organize, and I, as much as I'd rather be working on Silm Film stuff, have actual responsibilities. The hosts will have to either take what they can get or take a short hiatus. If a real TV show can take hiatuses, then a podcast dedicated to planning a theoretical tv show can take hiatuses. "Life imitates Art far more than Art imitates Life"

The Episode One script outline has been updated in the "Shiny New Script Outlines" thread. I simply replaced the old file in the original opener with the updated one, so don't go looking for it at the bottom of the thread. Feel free to look over it and give me feedback or corrections (here in this thread, not in the "Shiny New Script Outlines" thread.)

Back