A Ballad- Casual

EliseSigwine

Hiya! This was born out of Sparrow's excellent inaugural (online) Writer's Space Workshop. Thank you Sparrow!

One of our helpful exercises was a "Reach 500 words first" contest. Sadly, I handwrote, so I didn't get to 500 words, but my verbal vomit seemed to create a random ditty/ballad that I'm amazed came out of my brain! Feel free to critique, rewrite, or pose questions. Like I said, I'm simply amazed that it actually makes some(what) sense!

Oh here's a tale, a merry old tale,
A tale of wind and fire
A tale so long, a tale so short
A tale of fire and flam.

She set out for a chat one day
A chat with Gammer Grumpy
She said "Oh Gammer, dear,
Oh Gammer, dear,
how do I share my fire?"

And Gammer said "Oh Child, dear
Oh child dear,
The best way
is to share a tale."

An excellent question. Gammer Grumpy is the local matriarch who tells the children stories. She is a teacher, priestess, the book of lore and history all rolled into one. And if you're not paying attention while she's sharing her story, she will give you a good whack with her walking stick.

An excellent question. Gammer Grumpy is the local matriarch who tells the children stories. She is a teacher, priestess, the book of lore and history all rolled into one. And if you're not paying attention while she's sharing her story, she will give you a good whack with her walking stick.

And how does she know which childsren need to be encouraged to caution and which ones need to be encouraged to adventure???

Back