Final Season 4 Scripts

Rhiannon

Here are the final(ish) scripts for Season 4. I am still happy to go back and make minor changes if anyone catches problems or typos that I've missed. Rather than posting new threads, I'll just change the files attached here.

I want to thank everyone involved in SilmFilm for the wealth of ideas, discussion, and advice you have provided. There is no way I could have written a season of theoretical television without it, and I look forward to working with you guys on Season 5!

Attachments

• S4E1ScriptV4.pdf
    364.5 KB · Views: 69
  • S4E2ScriptV3.pdf
    332.1 KB · Views: 38
  • S4E3ScriptV3.pdf
    375.6 KB · Views: 32
  • S4E4ScriptV3.pdf
    345.7 KB · Views: 35
  • S4E5ScriptV4.pdf
    337.9 KB · Views: 32
  • S4E6ScriptV5.pdf
    331.8 KB · Views: 36
  • S4E7ScriptV4.pdf
    319.7 KB · Views: 32
  • S4E8ScriptV4.pdf
    346.1 KB · Views: 32
  • S4E9ScriptV6.pdf
    327.9 KB · Views: 30
  • S4E10ScriptV4.pdf
    367.6 KB · Views: 35
Thank you! I only wish there were similarly-detailed treatments for Seasons 1–3.
@Nicholas Palazzo has written a script for the first episode of Season 1, which can be found in this thread.

I have gone back and started writing some scenes for the earlier seasons. It will take a while to get through all three seasons because I have to relisten to the podcasts and script discussions, but I hope there will eventually be scripts for everything. I am getting close to having a script for Season 1 Episode 2 done, and I will be posting that soon.

Thank you! I only wish there were similarly-detailed treatments for Seasons 1–3.

Feel free to help us make this happen! :)

I have a question...

Theres a line where the noldor slew miaule, Oikeroi and Umuiyan... and make capes from their pelts!
now i understand the wish to mention them briefly as well to get rid of them before they could possibly interfere with the Beren and Luthien Storyline...

But i have two points that made me think:

1. Would not be the Pelt of cat-demons be deeply satuated with "Morgoths essence"? I mean... i cannot see any Elves adorning themselves with furs made from the bodies of evil creatures... i mean they burn orcs, do not want to even touch their weapons,., though Legolas dos use Uruk-hai arrows in times of extreme need...

2. I know that in the Lord of the Rings the "Gaurwaith" that attack the fellowship in Hollin do "de-materialise" some time afterbtheir death... does not this bring up a future problem for us when Beren will use a wolfpelt to disguise himself as a werewolf? Well i guess Luthies could weave a spell on it to avoid such a thing, but there has to be some consistency to explain why sometimes werewolves vanish, and at last one time they do not. Also... if werewolves dematerialise after death (like saruman does... i guess all demons or maiar possibly do then...) ... should not "were-cats" then dematerialise too?

I have a question...

Theres a line where the noldor slew miaule, Oikeroi and Umuiyan... and make capes from their pelts!
now i understand the wish to mention them briefly as well to get rid of them before they could possibly interfere with the Beren and Luthien Storyline...

1. Would not be the Pelt of cat-demons be deeply satuated with "Morgoths essence"? I mean... i cannot see any Elves adorning themselves with furs made from the bodies of evil creatures... i mean they burn orcs, do not want to even touch their weapons,., though Legolas dos use Uruk-hai arrows in times of extreme need...

2. I know that in the Lord of the Rings the "Gaurwaith" that attack the fellowship in Hollin do "de-materialise" some time afterbtheir death... does not this bring up a future problem for us when Beren will use a wolfpelt to disguise himself as a werewolf? Well i guess Luthies could weave a spell on it to avoid such a thing, but there has to be some consistency to explain why sometimes werewolves vanish, and at last one time they do not. Also... if werewolves dematerialise after death (like saruman does... i guess all demons or maiar possibly do then...) ... should not "were-cats" then dematerialise too?
Maybe they wash it in a river, ie what Beren does with the treasure of Doraith when he fights the Dwarves in Ossiriand?

I have a question...

I included that detail about making capes of the cat pelts for a couple reasons. I wanted to foreshadow the disguises of Beren and Luthien and establish that it was possible to get the pelts of evil creatures and make clothes out of them. I also wanted Aredhel to have a tangible reminder of her friendship with Celegorm and Curufin that was also a reminder of their active participation in the fight against Morgoth. I have some plans for how I want to use these in Season 5 in the Aredhel story.

There was definitely some kind of Elvish magic involved in purging the pelts of evil and the creation of the capes. I didn't explicitly show it in the script, but I did have a comment about only a little bit of the pelts actually being usable. I don't think it's been decided whether or not were-creatures dematerialise in SilmFilm and in what cases, but even if they do, it should still be possible to get pelts from them before that happens; otherwise, as you say, there would be a problem with the Beren and Luthien story.

I included that detail about making capes of the cat pelts for a couple reasons. I wanted to foreshadow the disguises of Beren and Luthien and establish that it was possible to get the pelts of evil creatures and make clothes out of them. I also wanted Aredhel to have a tangible reminder of her friendship with Celegorm and Curufin that was also a reminder of their active participation in the fight against Morgoth. I have some plans for how I want to use these in Season 5 in the Aredhel story.

There was definitely some kind of Elvish magic involved in purging the pelts of evil and the creation of the capes. I didn't explicitly show it in the script, but I did have a comment about only a little bit of the pelts actually being usable. I don't think it's been decided whether or not were-creatures dematerialise in SilmFilm and in what cases, but even if they do, it should still be possible to get pelts from them before that happens; otherwise, as you say, there would be a problem with the Beren and Luthien story.

In S03, I believe we decided that were-creatures dematerialize on death.

I like the impulse to have Celegorm and Curufin send Aredhel off to Gondolin with a physical memento that the audience can see her wearing later. And obviously, white fur would fit Aredhel's costume needs well enough. Especially if it's basically a shoulder wrap with a cape sewn to it.

I have qualms about using the pelt of a sentient creature. That is like the giants in Narnia hunting and eating the Talking Stag (and, surprise surprise, they have no qualms about eating humans, either). I can see orcs dressing themselves up in the body parts of their enemies, but I have trouble seeing elves doing that. Even brutal Fëanorean elves. It's a level of barbarism that goes beyond 'hunting' or 'battle' to display trophies like scalps, shrunken heads, dried ears, skulls, etc., and then to turn these into ornament/decoration/wear them. By having the characters refer to their enemy by name, they are clearly aware that what they are fighting is not a beast, but a creature with intelligence and the ability to speak. Sure, they are evil and they are the enemy, and as servants of Morgoth they can be killed with impunity. But skinned for cloaks? I am brought up short there.

Beorn does tack up a warg pelt in The Hobbit. I realize that Beorn only loosely fits into the greater context of Middle-earth, but part of the whole point of his character is that he is part beast. I don't really see the princes of the Noldor making similar choices. But also important to note that, in that case, the body did not vanish but remained to be skinned. Still, the vanishing werewolf bodies from Caradhras in Lord of the Rings do pose a challenge. When we discussed these creatures in Silm Film, we decided that there were several types: embodied Maiar spirits, such as Tevildo and Thuringwethil. Were-creatures, that Sauron had forced spirits into, as Draugluin. And then finally...beasts that are in the employ of the enemy. These are not imbued with any particular spirit or intelligence, but are just wolves, bats, etc. These last definitely leave bodies behind. I'd have to go relisten to that podcast to make sure I remembered all the details correctly.

Back