Miscellaneous Silmarillion Art

Kathrin

Hi everyone it's been a while *waves* I've had quite a bit to do and vanished for a bit, and then the whole pandemic didn't exactly make it much better. Anyway I've got a bit of time again and I'm catching up on the podcast, fun times. Also I've finally finished the thuringwethil thingie i'd sketched up end of last season. I'm also gonna do a Tevildo thing soon, I think. But that stuff isn't very à jour anymore and I've no idea where to post it anyway, so I'll just post SilmFilm art here if I don't know where else.

So first up, Thuringwethil probably flying back to report to Morgoth or Sauron, but no clue where or when this is exactly.

thuringwethil 1.jpeg

thuringwethil 2.jpeg

thuringwethil 3 komp.jpg

Attachments

• thuringwethil 1.jpeg
    thuringwethil 1.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • thuringwethil 2.jpeg
    thuringwethil 2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
The first two look pretty scary, and I like her cloak in the last one (it'll be important later, after all)! The bat-like nose clearly shows the connection between her two preferred appearances. From time to time, I already think about what we can do with Thuringwethil this season (and how that relates to her actions and death next season, since Tolkien doesn't tell us how she died at the Isle of Werewolves), and for scenes where she's actually in her "standard" humanoid or bat forms, and not shapeshifted into something else, it's important for the imagination to have some image that helps you mentally visualize the scene you're thinking about :)

Hi everyone it's been a while *waves* I've had quite a bit to do and vanished for a bit, and then the whole pandemic didn't exactly make it much better. Anyway I've got a bit of time again and I'm catching up on the podcast, fun times. Also I've finally finished the thuringwethil thingie i'd sketched up end of last season. I'm also gonna do a Tevildo thing soon, I think. But that stuff isn't very à jour anymore and I've no idea where to post it anyway, so I'll just post SilmFilm art here if I don't know where else.

So first up, Thuringwethil probably flying back to report to Morgoth or Sauron, but no clue where or when this is exactly.

View attachment 3066

View attachment 3067

View attachment 3068
These are fantastic!!! I love the pattern on her wings and how it still appears very subtly on her cloak after she transforms, and the glowing eyes in the first two pictures are super creepy! I also really like what you've done with the backgrounds and the overall texture of all three paintings. Thuringwethil really blends in with the night.

Thank you :) For her humanoid look I went some into the same direction as your painting of her from last season. I liked the idea of her in some way just inherently being a bat, and when she transforms into a human or an elf you might still see very subtle references to those features, but her main humanoid form is overtly not 'standard human', but also not full-on "monster". She might be a bit torn between affiliating with the Valar and Maiar that mostly run around as people and all the more animalistic/nature-bound spirits.

I'm still not a 100% clear on her cloak though. It obviously has some form of power invested in it, but if it's taken away from her, does it harm her/rob her of that power? Is it a thing that she had to aquire/make in order to achieve human form, to bring the two forms together? I mean we don't have to have a clear "lore of the cloak", or Thuringwethil's life story, it can have some mystery. I'm just interested.

Last edited:
Once again I'm returning after a long absence (had to finish my Bachelor's, lots to do at the summer job etc.) But I got dragged back into the Silm Fandom without my own doing in the spring, because youtube started recommending me clips from the russian finrod musical, which, do watch, it is a must for any finrod/beren&luthien/fantasy musical fans, honestly (click here). There is even a new, distinct Lay of Leithian rock opera out just this year! Anyway, I am returning with rekindled silm enthusiasm and an obsession with Finrod Felagund.

I really need to catch up with the pod, I am somewhere in S4 I think? But it is hard to remember where, I'll have to find out through trial and error. Anyway, I thought I'd post some of the silm art i've done in the summer meanwhile ^^ OKAY ART DUMP TIMEvarda komp.png
A varda, bc on a recent silm re-read i noticed that man, i do love her. Followed by a (probably blasphemous) Eru, bc it got me thinking about how the powers, like, feel to me & what i imagine. But dangit now i wanna do all of them

eru komp.png

Then I participated in a drawing challenge on lotr twitter, so it was mostly lord of the rings, but i did also draw the blue wizards again. Bc I just think they're neat. Just lately i also had the thought: what if they are makar and méassë, yknow, the discarded war-valar, but instead of just being deleted, they are maiar of oromës who then were like: fuck this we're coming down there melkor that's enough already ^^ Aanyway enough of me gushing about the blue wizards

WhatsApp Image 2021-09-10 at 22.10.49.jpeg

And a classic bit of Russingon

WhatsApp Image 2021-09-10 at 22.15.13.jpeg

I also this year for the first time managed to participate in TRSB (Tolkien reversed summer bang) a fanfic/fanart collab where the fanart serves as prompt for a fanfic, and I contributed these pieces, and got wonderful fanfics in return:

A Finrod during the Bragollach fic: (click here to read on AO3, dragons, adventure, feeelings, song magic!)

Finrod_Glaurung komp.jpeg

A fic set in Belegost around the Union of Maedhros, here a Smith sending her son off to the war (click here to read on AO3, a beautifully melancholic one)

WhatsApp Image 2021-08-29 at 23.55.09.jpeg

And finally, a Luthien-centered fic set during the Quest for the Silmaril, but Luthien meets my favorite super super side character (guess who it is, whoo) and click here to read it on AO3 (basically 1001 nights but luthien)

luthien final_comp.jpeg

And finally I've come by this scene in my silm reread and it is just so goood omg.. (Just in time for the Silm Film Project to get to Fingolfins battle)

melkor_fingolfin_komp.JPG

Okay that's it thanks for coming to my disorganised art dump, hope you enjoyed ^^

Luthien_komp.jpeg

Luthien approaches Tol-in-Gaurhoth, from a ghibli meets lotr art event i participated in on tolkien twitter ^^ had maybe a bit too much fun designing luthiens outfit and drawing my beloved, though now corrupted tol sirion here, but what else is new...

Ah yeah i can see it too, i was more thinking Mononoke though ^^
I can definitely see that.

By the way, I probably should have checked with you first, but I suggested your Keep Helevorn to Professor Olsen last Thursday, since he was going to use Ted Nasmith's as a background. If that's fine with you, Yay! If not, I apologize, and I'll make sure to avoid doing so moving forward.

Ah I saw it on the video (I usually just listen to the podcast). I thought it was the newer one, (the one with mount helevorn "in shot") but it's the yellow sky version. Cool ^^

Ah I saw it on the video (I usually just listen to the podcast). I thought it was the newer one, (the one with mount helevorn "in shot") but it's the yellow sky version. Cool ^^

Yeah, I suggested that one because you'd be able to actually see Keep Helevorn over his shoulder.

IMG_-d9jldi.jpg

A Bragollach-Maglor, because i love him <3 Doing some of the little tolkientober daily art prompts but not all of them bc that would be exhausting ^^

Thanks! I tried to come up with another design that would fit the description and work as a ring too, as so often with Tolkien's description is very evocative but leaves plenty of room for guesswork ^^

Back