Session 5-15 & 5-16: Season Outline

Morgoth can amp it up, it does not have be *totally* like a real volcano. and, affter all, we are talking about Thangoridrim here :)

I'm sure he can and does. But at a distance of 150 miles across mostly flat ground? In order to cover that in minutes rather than hours, he'd have to amp it by a factor of 60. So the max (downhill) speed of pyroclastic flow at 50 mph would increase to 3000 mph, or Mach 3.9.

The issue isn't merely the real speed of natural phenomena, but the speed which the viewer will accept onscreen.

This is definitely something we took time to consider in previous conversations, and in the end is only a part of the reason to show the initiation of the battle in the final moments of E11 and start E12 with the fires already having reached Dorthonion.

I'm sure he can and does. But at a distance of 150 miles across mostly flat ground? In order to cover that in minutes rather than hours, he'd have to amp it by a factor of 60. So the max (downhill) speed of pyroclastic flow at 50 mph would increase to 3000 mph, or Mach 3.9.

The issue isn't merely the real speed of natural phenomena, but the speed which the viewer will accept onscreen.

This is definitely something we took time to consider in previous conversations, and in the end is only a part of the reason to show the initiation of the battle in the final moments of E11 and start E12 with the fires already having reached Dorthonion.
And Glaurung would have to be around that speed.

Also, what is the topic for the next session?

A way to get around the problem is to show just local events, i was thinking about something like the nuke-attack sequence in the tv-movie "The Day After".

Btw, sorry about eventual spelling-errors..my keyboard ison the skids so to speak.

Edit. when thinking about it the nuke-comparions works in in several ways, only disguising it as a pyroclastic flow.

A way to get around the problem is to show just local events, i was thinking about something like the nuke-attack sequence in the tv-movie "The Day After".

Btw, sorry about eventual spelling-errors..my keyboard ison the skids so to speak.

Edit. when thinking about it the nuke-comparions works in in several ways, only disguising it as a pyroclastic flow.

So, I want to clarify what I meant about there being other reasons to split the action as we have. Episode 11 ties up a lot of our season plots, which is something we would normally save for the end of a season. We want to signal to the audience that we aren't done, and what better way to do this than the opening salvo of the impending war.

When we open on E12, the flames will have reached our heroes. It just isn't necessary to have the flames, and the wingless dragon running ahead of them, travel at multiple times the speed of sound.

Last edited:
Hello, Makar, and welcome to the boards! I think that pyroclastic flow is a good visual for showing the running flames that we will want to see, and there will be reasons to cut from the flames advancing across Ard Galen (as elves flee) to the watchtowers of Dorthonion, as they see their doom approaching, etc.

We were just teasing about the 'slow and creeping' flames - it would not seem slow if you were on a horse on Ard Galen as it approached! It's a matter of showing particular perspectives to make the audience feel a heightened sense of urgency throughout.

There are far more engineers involved in this project than in most creative projects - you're going to have some calculations! And, despite being an English professor, Corey Olsen's background also leans in the math/physics direction. His re-enactment of Frodo's flight to the Ford definitely showed some delight in calculating the relative movements of the players ;)

Back