Did Elrond Stage the Council so Frodo Would Volunteer?

Rachel Port

During this class I realized something I haven't thought of before: Elrond doesn't know Frodo at all. This is the first time he has met Frodo except for the moment the night before when he takes him to Bilbo, and except when Frodo is unconscious. Elrond knows that Gandalf is sure Frodo is the chosen Ring-bearer, but he probably also observed Frodo's revulsion when Bilbo asked to see the Ring. Both he and Gandalf were closely watching that reunion, but from afar.

He already knows the story of the journey from the Shire from Aragorn, Merry, Pippin, and Sam, as well as what he and Gandalf have heard from Frodo in his delirium. He doesn't need to learn the story, but he needs to hear Frodo tell it. During the Council I think he is evaluating Frodo, both as his physician and in his role in the ultimate decision. So he watches as Frodo shows the Ring to the Council, and as he interrupts other speakers; he has observed Frodo listening to others, telling his story, answering questions, and afterwards telling Bilbo he wants to hear what Gandalf has to say. He has observed Frodo's struggle when we get to this point. And everything he has observed has shown him that Gandalf is right.

So I don't think Elrond knew from the start that the conclusion would be Frodo taking the Ring to the Fire, though he thought it likely. I think he is making up his mind during the Council, and finally when Frodo volunteers, he is satisfied.

Good point Rachel. Do you think that Elrond had a plan B in mind if he was disappointed by his assessment of Frodo? What might it have been if he had one?

...this is what your folk would call staging, I believe; though I do not understand clearly what they mean; and they seem to use the same word of the deceits of the Enemy...

That does seem like the way he is steering this. A "Jesus, take the wheel" sort of thing. Not in a bad or ineffective way, in a genuine, best way to do it way.

Yes. He clearly believes these people have all showed up in Rivendell for the purpose of deciding what is best to do with the Ring. So if Gandalf's choice to be Ringbearer turns out to be a mistake, the planners' choice will show itself.

Back