Maeglin

Ange1e4e5

Maeglin makes his debut in Season 5. I am no composer, but I suggest that his theme is something that is initially light instrumentation-wise (maybe violins and flute for earlier seasons, cello, maybe low brass as it turns darker by the Fall of Gondolin), but slowly changes over time into something more sinister, which is still noticeable in early stages.

A good starting point is Anakin's theme from Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace. It starts in E Major, then modulates into the Imperial March in a-minor at the end of the theme.

As heard on the soundtrack

A breakdown

I think this is a great idea. I love Anakin's theme and the way it finishes wirh the recognisable chords from the Imperial March. I think I could do something like that based on the joy that Aradhel experiences with the birth of her son and finishing with a recognisable motif with Nan Elmorh associations. I was disappointed that Anakin's theme was only used in E1 and that it was not used in E2 or 3, prefering to develop Anakin and Padme's love theme in E2. I have started to develop the Nan Elmorh musical themes and will make it a suite starting with Melian and Elwe, the forest under Eol and moving into Maeglin's theme.

Maeglin makes his debut in Season 5. I am no composer, but I suggest that his theme is something that is initially light instrumentation-wise (maybe violins and flute for earlier seasons, cello, maybe low brass as it turns darker by the Fall of Gondolin), but slowly changes over time into something more sinister, which is still noticeable in early stages.

A good starting point is Anakin's theme from Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace. It starts in E Major, then modulates into the Imperial March in a-minor at the end of the theme.

A breakdown
You will be pleased to know that I am well underway with Maeglin's theme along the lines you suggested, akin to Anakin's theme in style.

A breakdown
Well it is done Ange. I decided in the end to alternate between Maeglin's theme ending in the Gondolin theme or Eol's theme, depending on the mood of the scene, but even when it finishes with Gondolin, Eol's has the final say hardly noticeable. I have borrowed in style including instrumentation from John Williams for it.

Back