Cast So Far...

Really helpful to see these all together. A few strokes of true genius. Mandy Patinkin is stellar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really helpful to see these all together. I will say, it is a shame that a lot of these are A and B list actors. Obvious choices I suppose. There isn't a lot of radical thinking but I'm also totally fine with the fact that this is not a genuine casting session and if you want to go for the biggest names, there is no budget to consider!

EDIT: Didn't mean that to sound accusatory. To counter, all that said, a few are true strokes of genius. Mandy Patinkin is stellar.
Well, a lot of it comes down to votes (how we determine who gets cast) and what the Hosts envision for the role. We were sent back to the drawing board with Caranthir in Season 3 because none of the candidates looked brawny enough for the role.

I've just been catching up and realised this. I've put in a possible option for him specifically as he's a character I'm familiar with but also feel like my actor choice deviates enough from the the brothers to differentiate him as 'the rugby player one'.

I must say, the creative back and forth is something I absolutely love about this project

Silmarillion Film Project Season 5 Casting

House of Beor

Beor: Alfred Molina

Adanel: Lorna Nickson Brown

Andreth: Olivia Thirlby and Marina Sirits

Barahir: Santiago Cabrera

Emeldir: Emily Swallow

House of Haleth
Haleth: Yadira Guevara-Prip

Haldad: Demian Bichir

House of Hador
Amlach: Ben Lamb

Bereg: Eben Moss-Bachrach

Hador: Lucas Lynggard Tonneson

Elves
Elrhun: Emilio Sakraya

Pengolodh: Asa Butterfield

Maeglin: Maxim Baldry

Harad Frame
Queen Azraindil: Octavia Spencer

Abrazan: Alfred Enoch

Arnuben: Thomas Anthony Olajide

Mouth of Sauron: T'Nia Miller

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, since I presume someone has a spreadsheet and it'll be faster and more accurate than me counting: how many named characters have been cast so far? (not the same as how many actors have been cast!)

Just out of curiosity, since I presume someone has a spreadsheet and it'll be faster and more accurate than me counting: how many named characters have been cast so far? (not the same as how many actors have been cast!)

I'm pretty sure no one has a spreadsheet. We're not that organized. :)

Maybe that's a cue... ;-P

I can tell you that I intend to utilize the off-season to organize a lot of the story information to make it more accessible to new folks. I have foreseen for a while that there would be an uptick in participation when we got to Beren & Luthien, and I'd like to make the barrier to entry as low as humanly possible. That said, I probably won't be doing much with casting, so feel free to have at it if you're so inclined.

I can tell you that I intend to utilize the off-season to organize a lot of the story information to make it more accessible to new folks. I have foreseen for a while that there would be an uptick in participation when we got to Beren & Luthien, and I'd like to make the barrier to entry as low as humanly possible. That said, I probably won't be doing much with casting, so feel free to have at it if you're so inclined.
Plus, depending on how much outside of Beren and Luthien we do, the cast list for next season might be relatively small. I think the biggest list we did was Season 3 because we had to cast all the 3rd generation of Elves for starters.

It definitely wasn't a push to do it! I was thinking I might at least scrape together all the names out of this thread, links where suitable, and give some basic info about the character (Vala/Elf/Man, family if relevant, as it would be helpful for newcomers). Would also help for sorting, so as to see, for instance, what people in the House of Bëor generally look like, and so on. If I share that sheet, then perhaps others can build on it with height+age, and eventually links to the sessions where they were cast.

It definitely wasn't a push to do it! I was thinking I might at least scrape together all the names out of this thread, links where suitable, and give some basic info about the character (Vala/Elf/Man, family if relevant, as it would be helpful for newcomers). Would also help for sorting, so as to see, for instance, what people in the House of Bëor generally look like, and so on. If I share that sheet, then perhaps others can build on it with height+age, and eventually links to the sessions where they were cast.
David, that sounds wonderful. I know a lot of people would appreciate it.

Awesome idea! And rather shocking that, with the number of engineers involved in this project, that hadn't been proposed already. I think that a searchable/sortable document showing who has been cast thus far will be very helpful. The only collating of data in the casting forum that I am aware of thus far is Richol Richards' Lists. (Feel free to check that out if you're interested, but that is focused on suggestions who have *not* been cast)

I’ve just finished watching the new Loki series, so seeing Tom Hiddleston in action and playing Loki with more range than in the MCU films. I spent most of the time imagining him as Fingolfin. I always liked that casting choice, and I like it even better now. Can totally see him challenging Morgoth when things turn to ****.

I’ve just finished watching the new Loki series, so seeing Tom Hiddleston in action and playing Loki with more range than in the MCU films. I spent most of the time imagining him as Fingolfin. I always liked that casting choice, and I like it even better now. Can totally see him challenging Morgoth when things turn to ****.
I always imagined Hiddleston as Sauron/Mairon. He plays, cunning, scheming and sinister very well. And as secure as I am in my masculinity, I am sure he could pull off "the fair" pretty well. But I arrived too late to make that suggestion.

Attachments

• 250px-Alaïs_-_Annatar.jpg
    250px-Alaïs_-_Annatar.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 1
  • main-qimg-3fc09bc5b7aadbcbd9d94110b46db6c6.jpeg
    main-qimg-3fc09bc5b7aadbcbd9d94110b46db6c6.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 1
I always imagined Hiddleston as Sauron/Mairon. He plays, cunning, scheming and sinister very well. And as secure as I am in my masculinity, I am sure he could pull off "the fair" pretty well. But I arrived too late to make that suggestion.

We definitely considered something along those lines. I think he was even nominated for Melkor back in S01. And Fëanor in S02. Ultimately, I think the intention was to cast against type here.

And then he was cast in a much more Fingolfin-like role in Kong Island, which I felt confirmed the decision well.

Hiddleston wound up tied with Richard Armitage for Fëanor and Oscar Isaac for Fingolfin (still looking for a role for him) for Season 2.

As the person who nominated Hiddleston for Fingolfin, my thought was playing with character type; Hiddleston played Prince Hal/Henry V in The Hollow Crown and I felt that he could channel parts of that performance into Fingolfin.

Yeah, I imagine he'd do very well as a villain (he plays ruthless quite well), but hopefully he'd also make a very good Fingolfin. It's no mistake that he makes audiences care about the villains he plays...there's a vulnerability to those performances, whether it's Loki or Coriolanus. I never saw Crimsom Peak, but I imagine he's...less likable there.

I agree he would play Marion/Sauron well, but like him to be cast as someone other than a villain. As Fingolfin he has to have a bit of the ‘Henry V’ about him. Fingolfin has a reckless streak, which I think he can do.

Back