Other Orc Problems: Amassing massive armies

Women have immune reactions even to their own fully human embryos at first. I wonder if Saruman also experimented with ways to suppress this.

Orcwives probably are used to a lot and quite tough, human women... i forbid myself to think about it.

@Odola
Sure but we are told Dunland is a little fertile country... though i think of the other portions of Enedhwaith and even cardolan.. can't just have been barren wilderness everywhere, even if a lot may have been contaminated after the war of the elves against sauron and the numenoreans and the wars against angmar (there seems to be a quasi arthurian "wasteland" thing going on... no king, no fertile land!) , even steppe or prairie can be used.

Wild carrots could be enough for orcs to eat imho.

Women have immune reactions even to their own fully human embryos at first.

That is true, but these embryos use a mechanism to switch it off that e.g. cancer cells mimic quite successfully. A hybrid orc-human embryo I would suspect to be even more effective in using this mechanism than a normal one, actually.

Orcs are... biologically speaking humans aren't they? Like elves are biologically humans too. So it's not as if they were genetically even as far removed from homo sapiens sapiensis as neanderthals would be.Probably.I think.They're more mutants than a truly separate race.

Wild carrots could be enough for orcs to eat imho.

Wild? Far too much expanditure.Tubers can be mass-grown, just like fungi.Saruman could handle that as a scientist.Also works underground, still they need probably fertilizers, herbicides... but i don't think Saruman has any remorse about neither genetic manipulation nor chemicals.

Wild? Far too much expanditure.Tubers can be mass-grown, just like fungi.Saruman could handle that as a scientist.Also works underground, still they need probably fertilizers, herbicides... but i don't think Saruman has any remorse about neither genetic manipulation nor chemicals.

If we are going down this road, orcs in their ways of life produce huge middens and waste heaps, as such raising diverse insects on them would not be that difficult, and insects are a quite nourishing food source.

If the uruk hai were being bred somewhere other than Orthanc, whether in the mountains or over in Dunland, then there should be a bunch of them left over after the War of the Ring. Maybe all of the ones who were of fighting age went off to battle at Helm's Deep, but what do you do about a whole city of orc-moms and orc-kids? Do these just get killed off? Or do they get integrated into Rohirrim society? Frodo and company return to Rivendell on the west side of the mountains after the main action, so if the orc breeding was in Dunland they presumably went right through that region. There are just so many problems when we dig into this.

Bruce

If the uruk hai were being bred somewhere other than Orthanc, whether in the mountains or over in Dunland, then there should be a bunch of them left over after the War of the Ring. Maybe all of the ones who were of fighting age went off to battle at Helm's Deep, but what do you do about a whole city of orc-moms and orc-kids? Do these just get killed off? Or do they get integrated into Rohirrim society? Frodo and company return to Rivendell on the west side of the mountains after the main action, so if the orc breeding was in Dunland they presumably went right through that region. There are just so many problems when we dig into this.

Bruce

If they are still hiding in the mountains in some caves, they might go unnoticed.

Those would be the unnamed orc-civilists who always rebuild orc society after their endless wars...
No doubt they have their urge to raise a new generation in hate to take revenge in some decades when they feel strong enough again.

Back