Gorgol

Ange1e4e5

Like Boldog, Gorgol is a character from the Lay of Leithian, the source material for Beren and Luthien. And like Boldog, Gorgol is a role that would require some amount of makeup/prosthetics. He is an Orc-Captain and subordinate of Sauron who is charged with taking out the band of outlaws in Dorthonion led by Barahir, and takes the Ring of Barahir. Beren kills him along with his band of Orcs, starting a series of events that lead to Beren abandoning Dorthonion for Doriath... and history.

Unlike Boldog, Gorgol doesn't have to be big (most Orcs are small), but still threatening. Even if we don't name him onscreen, it would serve well to give him a name as to not confuse him with other Orcs.

Ray Park has spent much of his career under makeup (and in one case without a head), and performed well in fights.

Ray Park
Height: 5'10"
Roles: Darth Maul in Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace, the Headless Horseman in Sleepy Hollow (1999), Toad in X-Men, Snake Eyes in the G.I. Joe live-action films

latest

ray-park-darth-maul.jpg

Gorgol's not going to be nearly as acrobatic as Maul, but it shows what he can do.

Last edited:
Hmm... i guess Gorgol is essentially a one-shot character, though i like his name!

I don't know... Ray Park just never looked really orcish to me,

If he wasn't a one shot and the actors weren't already quite old i'd suggest somebody like malcolm mac dowell, Ron Pearlman or maybe Brian Thompson. But with Gorgol being just a minor role... i don't know... maybe one could think of a younger, less well known actor who has the right mimics... or one could ask a great rock star for a short cameo, like Hulk Hogan, the Undertaker , Kerry king from Slayer, Rob Zombie or immortal's Abbath...

Last edited:
Hmm... i guess Gorgol is essentially a one-shot character, though i like his name!

If he wasn't a one shot and the actors weren't already quite old i'd suggest somebody like malcolm mac dowell, Ron Pearlman or maybe Brian Thompson. But with Gorgol being just a minor role... i don't know... maybe one could think of a younger, less well known actor who has the right mimics... or one could ask a great rock star for a short cameo, like Hulk Hogan, the Undertaker , Kerry king from Slayer, Rob Zombie or immortal's Abbath...
Well, you could cast a well-known actor to play a small but major part; Game of Thrones cast Burn Gorman as Karl Tanner early in Season 3. Karl begins as a background character, then he leads a mutiny about halfway through the season and becomes a more prominent character in the next season as he impacts two plotlines because Jon has to eliminate him and Bran, Meera, Jojen and Hodor run afoul of him.

Perhaps he doesn't have to be one-shot, he could be there whenever Sauron needs to talk to the rank-and-file.

So what about Ray Park doesn't say Orcish? I've had the idea for Ray Park as an Orc running around for a few years and I thought the look he had for Toad would be a good fit.

For a younger, less well known actor, you could try Florian Munteanu. He was Dolph Lundgren's son Viktor Drago in Creed 2.

Last edited:
Well sure ray park could certainly play a lesser orc or Goblin, but i thought we had agreed that the Angband captains are Boldogs or Orc-Demons, and Ray Park has not the mimic and physique i personally had associated with them.

Florian Munteanu i don't know... he certainly has the physique, i am not sure about the mimic though, i haven't really seen him act so far...

Personally i would like Gorgol to be more than a one-shot, but i am not sure if that's possible or necessary... we have a lot of new characters coming up the next seasons... and Gorgols really only purpose is to kill Barahir and get killed by Beren.But we have at last one complete season to introduce him in one way or another, so i don't know.Could make sense to build up this "Endboss" a bit more before we kill him off...

I was thinking of Holt maccallany who played beast in shotcaller and was really intimidating and demonic...

Or Juan Pablo Raba, wh also was in shotcaller and who is in Narcos...

Screenshot_2020-03-14-08-26-58-1.pngScreenshot_2020-03-14-08-26-28-1.png

Well sure ray park could certainly play a lesser orc or Goblin, but i thought we had agreed that the Angband captains are Boldogs or Orc-Demons, and Ray Park has not the mimic and physique i personally had associated with them.

Florian Munteanu i don't know... he certainly has the physique, i am not sure about the mimic though, i haven't really seen him act so far...

Personally i would like Gorgol to be more than a one-shot, but i am not sure if that's possible or necessary... we have a lot of new characters coming up the next seasons... and Gorgols really only purpose is to kill Barahir and get killed by Beren.But we have at last one complete season to introduce him in one way or another, so i don't know.Could make sense to build up this "Endboss" a bit more before we kill him off...
When did we decide that the Orc higher-ups were big guys like Boldog?

I'd be fine with Ray Park playing Gorgol.

I don't see Gorgol as necessarily a one-shot character. We are discussing it now, so he'll be introduced in S5, and won't die until pretty early in S6. It's still a minor character, but should have plenty of opportunity to build him up and make him more than just a background character.

And I don't think we have to make him an Angband Captain or whatnot, he doesn't have to be a "Boldog." He could be one of the "created" orcs, no? Perhaps Boldog isn't happy about orcs going with Sauron, so doesn't give him one of the AngbandLeaderOrcs, but one of those created from elves as a leader. Park has a slender physique, so that would fit for him.

But, if we go the bigger orc leader route, I suggest Ryan Hurst. He stand 6'4 and plays tough guys well. Got pretty famous on Sons of Anarchy, and recently joined The Walking Dead.

Attachments

• 1584191235984.jpg
    1584191235984.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 1584191280357.jpg
    1584191280357.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 1584191376511.jpg
    1584191376511.jpg
    397.6 KB · Views: 2
The recent ray park seems to have gotten a bit broader in the face and has become a bit more heavy with his age... so actually i would be okay with him now, and i like his mimics for Darth Maul.I think he could pull it...

Yet i would still personally prefer Maccallany...
though i begin to like the idea of Park more and more.

To resurrect this thread, there's an option I've been looking at if we go the older, bulkier Gorgol.

Boris McGiver
Height: 6'2"
Roles: Alexander Hamilton Coffroth in Lincoln, Mr. Hersh in Person of Interest, Tom Hammerschmidt in House of Cards
boris-mcgiver-filming-on-location-for-person-of-interest-on-january-picture-id159278599.jpg

What about Bill Burr?

He isn't the tallest and most bulky guy but he's a great actor and a very f6nny guy... i could see him as a more cynical, ironic take on Gorgol...another type of Orc captain, he can also totally pull off the deceiving, menacing type.

Born 1968
5' 10" (1,78 m)

Bill-Burr-in-The-Mandalorian.jpeg

Last edited:
Temuera Morrison
Height: 5.6
Films: The Mandalorian, Moana, Dora The Explorer and the Lost City of Gold.

Don't worry about the height. Or age. Just watch the clip. I would also add, he does have the chops to play calculating. If we decide that 'Butcher' as a title comes from a more surgical approach to cutting through his enemies. I think he can embody that. Or else we give him a big butcher knife style blade and go at it from that angle. He can be savage, and savagely cool.

1639129116820.png

Yeah! Morrison definitely has a different kind of threatening aura to him... also he's more the height and built of what a typical orc would be i think.He has a very good voice and stare...

But i would like him better as a good character actually, like Bór the Easterling, i would wish him for that role and hope he'd get a bit more scenes and dialogue than three short scenes just one or two episodes.

Yeah! Morrison definitely has a different kind of threatening aura to him... also he's more the height and built of what a typical orc would be i think.He has a very good voice and stare...

But i would like him better as a good character actually, like Bór the Easterling, i would wish him for that role and hope he'd get a bit more scenes and dialogue than three short scenes just one or two episodes.

I did think that but couldn't think of a fitting role. But yes, am more than happy to give him more to do.

Bór could be maxed out to three or four episodes: leading a group of Easterlings into Beleriand (since they show up in the years following the Dagor Bragollach), an episode or two detailing his role in Maedhros' alliance, and his role in the Nirnaeth where he dies.

Last edited:
Another actor to consider:

Joe Taslim
Height: 5'10"
Roles: Ito in The Night Comes for Us, Bi-Han/Sub-Zero in Mortal Kombat (2021), Anderson Le/Manas in Star Trek: Beyond

Bit more of a hand-to-hand guy from what I recall of his work in Star Trek.
sub-zero-actor_joe_taslim-publicity-getty-split-h_2019_.jpg
Joe+Taslim+Star+Trek+Beyond+Manas+Anderson+Le.jpg

Back