The Charge Laid on the Ring Bearer

Jon Markloff

I just listened to session 225, and was surprised that one thing was not discussed about the charge laid on Frodo (the ring bearer). The two (three?) charges are not to throw it away, give it to the enemy or anyone else except the company (or council) at gravest need. However, I feel like something obvious is missing. There is no mention of destroying the ring, delivering it to the mountain, or even going there at all. Is this because the Quest of Mount Doom has its own separate charge which does not need to be enumerated here? Frodo is the only one said to be on the Quest and presumptively must see it completed, as everyone else is specifically told the can leave when they need to, which may support this. Is Elrond keeping open other options for the destruction of the ring open if some better option becomes feasible? Does Elrond know that there is no completing the task without unforeseen intervention and so laying the destruction of the ring on anyone would be giving them an impossible mission?
It seems strange to me that on this quest the charge has nothing to do with the goal, only his actions while performing it. Is this normal for this type of pronouncement before a journey or mission and I am not aware of it? Hopefully you can answer some of these questions.

Frodo's job is to get the Ring to the Fire. I'm one of the people who believes Frodo didn't fail. His quest is the Quest of Mt. Doom, not the Quest of the fire. Once he gets the Ring there, Providence can take over. Elrond doesn't include the Ring's destruction in his charge because that charge is not laid on Frodo. Or on any Ring-bearer.

I agree that putting the destruction of the ring on any person or office would be too great a burden, however, there is not even any mention of going in that direction. He could choose to start walking in any direction but the mountain and would not be breaking this charge. That is why I ask is this an implied requirements of taking the quest, or if the only requirement the ring bearer has is to not give it up either by casting it away or giving it to someone else.

I agree that putting the destruction of the ring on any person or office would be too great a burden, however, there is not even any mention of going in that direction. He could choose to start walking in any direction but the mountain and would not be breaking this charge. That is why I ask is this an implied requirements of taking the quest, or if the only requirement the ring bearer has is to not give it up either by casting it away or giving it to someone else.
I’d suggest that it is an implied requirement, given the name of the quest. The destination is set in advance, but the path to take is not.

Paraphrase:

The Ring-bearer is the only person whose goal if finding Mount Doom. On the way, his job is to keep the Ring away from Sauron's minions, which means not throwing or giving it away, not letting anyone see or touch it except the Company and those who were at the Council where this course of action was decided upon, and then only at greatest need.

Back