Ring of Barahir

Ange1e4e5

The Ring of Barahir is a ring originally belonging to King Finrod Felagund. During the Dagor Bragollach, Finrod gave this ring to Barahir Lord of Ladros as a pact of friendship between his house and Finrod. The ring is taken by Gorgol the Butcher, an Orc-Captain under Sauron, until Beren kills Gorgol and recovers the Ring. Beren wears this Ring as proof of his identity when he goes from Doriath to Nargothrond; from there the Ring eventually finds its way to Numenor and becomes an heirloom of the Lords of Anduinië, chief of the Houses of the Faithful of Numenor. The Ring then passes through the generations (with an occasional bump or two) to the leaders of the Kingdom of Arnor and the Dunedain Chieftains until it is given to Elrond of Rivendell, who subsequently gave it to Aragorn when he revealed his identity to him.

The Ring is described as having two serpents with emerald eyes, one devouring, the other crowned with golden flowers. This is the film's version as a starting point, but we'll obviously be doing something different.
latest

What material should the Ring of Barahir be made of? Gold is part of the flowered design, so maybe silver.

I do not think this design is fancy enough, but I think it does a better job of matching the description in the text than the version in the Peter Jackson films. As per the Season 5 props/sets/costumes discussion, we are definitely wanting more twining!

RingofBarahir.jpg

So, yes, at least this version shows two distinct snakes, Odola.
LOTR-19-Top.jpg

il_794xN.3209014617_iquw.jpg

Perhaps something a bit less symmetrical would work? (Obviously, this needs a crown of gold flowers...)

JWL0440.jpg

(And since this topic is still active, I'm moving it to the Season 6 folder. Naturally, the Ring in question appeared on our show beginning in Season 3)

Last edited:
So, since we likely have a few months (still 9 episodes to go through, every other week) before things need to be done, I am going to try to get a jump on doing some 3D models to present at the end of the season. I am probably going to try to do the Ring of Barahir, Finrod's Crown and maybe Dagmor and Angrist.

But... I, like almost everyone, am having an issue actually visualizing this ring. These are a few of the examples I found that I like. Any idea what direction to go?

ring_of_barahir_by_ominously_d2gqjme-250t.jpgRing of Barahir design.jpegBs4y8YBCQAEBzou.jpg

I do like the top one, but please more snake-twinning - we could take a hint from the Roman ones above.

One issue in trying to imagine this is the transition from a 2D sketch to a 3D object. It is natural to come up with a somewhat flat or planar design, but the two snake heads need not be interacting with each other on the same level.

This is one of the rings that Odola suggested in her post above. The snakes seem 'piled up', and their heads are on different levels.

1668873371703.png

Not sure how comfortable anyone is looking at piles of snakes, but that might be a helpful starting point for orienting two snake heads in 3D space for this ring design.

One of my mother's architecture professors used to say, "Symmetry kills.". Of course, she always liked to point out that a lot of famous buildings had a lot of symmetry in their designs, and this was during the 1970's, so take that design advice with a grain of salt.

But even so, the ring need not be symmetrical.

I do like that the golden crown of flowers/silver snakes will match and yet not match the silver crown and golden Nauglamir.

So, since we likely have a few months (still 9 episodes to go through, every other week) before things need to be done, I am going to try to get a jump on doing some 3D models to present at the end of the season. I am probably going to try to do the Ring of Barahir, Finrod's Crown and maybe Dagmor and Angrist.

But... I, like almost everyone, am having an issue actually visualizing this ring. These are a few of the examples I found that I like. Any idea what direction to go?

View attachment 4582View attachment 4583View attachment 4584
I came across the top image on DeviantArt and by far it manages to be closest to the text description, one serpent below the wreath and one serpent devouring it.

Back