Script Discussion: S06E01 WE'RE BACK!!!!

Sindarin dog names:
Agol - flash
Araf/Garaf - wolf, dog
Carag - spike
Feredir - hunter
Fidhrad - hairy
Gabon - barky?
Gaul - howl (goldogrin)
Gawir - howler
Graw - dog, bear, swart
Nagol - tooth
Taus - shaggy (goldogrin tbf)
Tim - spark
Tint - spark
Tinu - spark

Sorry for the delay. Here is the first draft of the script for this episode!

Anyone is welcome to read it over and add comments to help edit it prior to next week's podcast. We will need to complete the editing process by Tuesday evening in order to give the hosts enough time to read it over. So, we have one week available to work on the edits.

Suggestions can be added directly to the document by typing in it or by adding comments on the side. Please flag anything that you find confusing, disappointing, or not fitting in Middle-earth. And let me know if there was an idea from the podcast or script discussion that you feel is missing or not fully realized in this draft!

The scenes that are highlighted in blue are a little short; I can add more to those scenes to make them longer. The other scenes are mostly the correct length. The frame scenes are missing, so the full document should be roughly 55 pages at this time; it is only 47.

A note on the timing:
The first scene takes place shortly after the end of the Dagor Bragollach, and is meant to feel timeless.​
The next two scenes take place in winter, so the setting should be bleak.​
Then there is a timeskip, so that we meet the outlaws in summer.​
The rest of the episode takes place in a very condensed timespan - a matter of weeks, at most a month.​
And then the ending montage is an unspecified amount of time in the future.​
The season change can, perhaps, represent a shift from bleak despair to cautious hope, but also is meant to allow Sauron time to master necromancy and build his army of ghosts (offscreen).

Also, typo and grammar corrections are appreciated, but not the most important thing to focus on right away. Don't worry about 'orphaned' speaker cues; I'll make that correction after the edited draft is ready.

Thank you for any assistance you are able to give!

And my writing soundtrack for this one:

Justin Johnson's Blues Guitar:

I Believe in Love from Mirror, Mirror:
Do I hate this movie? Yes, with a passion. Have I seen more than about half of this film? No. But is this a catchy song? Yes. Had to find some way to remind myself that we're writing a love story this season, but there's not much of that in this first episode!

Thanks to Sparrow for the Writer's Space on Signum's Twitch channel for encouragement staying focused, the first ambient mixer suggestion, and the word 'bedight' in this script!

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay. Here is the first draft of the script for this episode!

Anyone is welcome to read it over and add comments to help edit it prior to next week's podcast. We will need to complete the editing process by Tuesday evening in order to give the hosts enough time to read it over. So, we have one week available to work on the edits.

Suggestions can be added directly to the document by typing in it or by adding comments on the side. Please flag anything that you find confusing, disappointing, or not fitting in Middle-earth. And let me know if there was an idea from the podcast or script discussion that you feel is missing or not fully realized in this draft!

The scenes that are highlighted in blue are a little short; I can add more to those scenes to make them longer. The other scenes are mostly the correct length. The frame scenes are missing, so the full document should be roughly 55 pages at this time; it is only 47.

A note on the timing:
The first scene takes place shortly after the end of the Dagor Bragollach, and is meant to feel timeless.​
The next two scenes take place in winter, so the setting should be bleak.​
Then there is a timeskip, so that we meet the outlaws in summer.​
The rest of the episode takes place in a very condensed timespan - a matter of weeks, at most a month.​
And then the ending montage is an unspecified amount of time in the future.​
The season change can, perhaps, represent a shift from bleak despair to cautious hope, but also is meant to allow Sauron time to master necromancy and build his army of ghosts (offscreen).

Also, typo and grammar corrections are appreciated, but not the most important thing to focus on right away. Don't worry about 'orphaned' speaker cues; I'll make that correction after the edited draft is ready.

Thank you for any assistance you are able to give!

Liked the whole, have put my few remarks in the comments on the document. But really liked the boats being used - it is logical.

Below some techniques that I've mentioned in the comments:

Bobbin lace

sprang:

1654680601728.png

1654680654893.png
1654680702641.png

1654680178002.png
1654680189319.png

tablet weaving

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions!

So far in this project, fine lace is more associated with the Vanyar. So, while Meril could be doing that, I wouldn't necessarily want to associate her with the bobbin lace technique.

Meril is one of the Sindar who met Orodreth at the Mereth Aderthad. She's had to help him through some difficult times, with the loss of his mother, and now his father. So, she is supportive, and like her husband, is more of a healer than a fighter.

Last edited:
Currently, I am most concerned about scene 7 (beginning on p. 20). I think the requested elements are present...but I don't think the scene does a very good job of conveying the story it is meant to tell. I am not sure how best to address it, but I think I need more direct interactions between the rescued thralls and the outlaws to really make this scene work.

Currently, I am most concerned about scene 7 (beginning on p. 20). I think the requested elements are present...but I don't think the scene does a very good job of conveying the story it is meant to tell. I am not sure how best to address it, but I think I need more direct interactions between the rescued thralls and the outlaws to really make this scene work.

I need to go over the final scene with Sauron and Gothmog. Something about the dialogue feels off.

Thanks for the suggestions!

So far in this project, fine lace is more associated with the Vanyar. So, while Meril could be doing that, I wouldn't necessarily want to associate her with the bobbin lace technique.

I do associate needlepoint more with Miriel Serinde = and as such with the Noldor. What are Sindar associated with (beyond basic spinning and weaving - which has to be common to all) textil-art-wise? Rope-making takes to much space in a room, maybe fingerloop braiding
or lucet cord-making?
Or could she be painting?

Meril is one of the Sindar who met Orodreth at the Mereth Aderthad. She's had to help him through some difficult times, with the loss of his mother, and now his father. So, she is supportive, and like her husband, is more of a healer than a fighter.

Healer? - Then maybe weaving bandages on a tape loom/ box loom?

1654769508844.png
1654769524131.png
1654769533624.png

Those can be used on a table and were used to weave bands.

1654770137914.png

Last edited:
A question regading paper use in ME in the 1st Age generally (as it was mentioned in the EP 1 script) - paper production is very disruptive to the enviroment - it pollutes huge amounts of water and poisons the nearest area around a paper mill - e.g. by bleaching etc. - (also in the real world it was invented in and spread from China).

And one need huge amount of cotton and linen rags/later to be replaced by wood pulp/ to make it. Would tree-loving elves have a paper making facility or would they import it from further East - are human cultures in Rhun making it? Would elves use magic for the chemical processes that are poisonous when made without? - So how do the elves get their paper? If elves import it it would be very costly and used rarely.

I could understand paper in the 2nd Age where Numenorian could make it, but who in the 1st Age? Gondolin has no much woods and has to keep is water supply pure, Doriath would neve sacrifice their trees and rivers, who else has plenty of cotton and linen rags or wood pulp and water available and the knowledge and interest to produce paper? Are the dwarves making it?

Last edited:
I am not really sure how we got from 'they have paper', to 'that requires a paper mill and bleaching'. At any rate, there is certainly not any paper mill mentioned in this script! Nor paper, currently. If you would like to explore the options for depicting different styles of writing surfaces in our show, I suggest discussing that in the props forum!

Tim the Dog! Yes, please

In this episode, a background 'camp dog' is mentioned in the Tarn Aeluin scenes, but no name is given. The dog will also appear in Episodes 2 & 3, so we'll see if it gets a name there.

I am not really sure how we got from 'they have paper', to 'that requires a paper mill and bleaching'.

:D Using logic? - an old human bad habit? ;)

(The arrival of paper making in Europe - with the addition of the invention of printing - had enormous cultural consequences. As such there is still a collective awareness when - even in a pseudo-historic story - it is "still too soon for paper". [Then you will get the "cognitive disissonance" face from a big part of your audience with the question: "Paper?!!!" written all over it ;) . I just assume you would like to avoid that.]).

But o.k. Will save this for the probs thread.

Last edited:
:D Using logic? - an old human bad habit? ;)

(The arrival of paper making in Europe - with the addition of the invention of printing - had enormous cultural consequences. As such there is still a collective awareness when - even in a pseudo-historic story - it is "still too soon for paper". [Then you will get the "cognitive disissonance" face from a big part of your audience with the question: "Paper?!!!" written all over it ;) . I just assume you would like to avoid that.]).

But o.k. Will save this for the probs thread.

The courtesy of this hall is somewhat lessened of late...

The courtesy of this hall is somewhat lessened of late...

Ach, instead of being annoyed - do just prove me wrong... ;)

My style might not suit you, but still I do bring the discussion forward.

If you think my ideas stray to far from the direction you find they should focus on, then set this direction clearer.

BTW after having reread the script for several times now - I do realy like the kingly carying Thingol MithLuin. Good work. Seems you have not forgotten the objections several of us had about over-jerkifying him. Thanks.

Last edited:
Ach, instead of being annoyed - do just prove me wrong... ;)

My style might not suit you, but still I do bring the discussion forward.

If you think my ideas stray to far from the direction you find they should focus on, then set this direction clearer.

BTW after having reread the script for several times now - I do realy like the kingly carying Thingol MithLuin. Good work. Seems you have not forgotten the objections several of us had about over-jerkifying him. Thanks.

I'm not annoyed. I'm suggesting that you are starting to toe the line of discourteous behavior. This is not in keeping with the tone of this project. I hope I need not be clearer than that.

The paper making discussion has been moved to the Props forum and may be continued there. It is important to discuss topics in the proper places so that the conversations can be found in the future. I recognize that the organization of this project isn't perfect, but let's try to use the forums that we have in place to discuss the appropriate topics.

This thread continues to be for the discussion of the Season 6 Episode 1 script, and I do request that this discussion move forward courteously. Thank you.

Back