7 Stars of Elendil

What are those 7 stars they brought from Numenor? They are on the banner I know but the poem focuses on the stars and not on the banner.
How about the stone of Erech being a meteorite put into shape and brought over from Elendil together with 6 others whose location went into oblivion?

A post I made a couple of years ago.

Basically, they represent the 7 stars on the banners of the ships that carried the Palantiri to Middle-earth after the Downfall of Numenor.

Hi Octoburn,

I am not sure that that explanation works? The Faithful, "escaped from the Downfall with nine ships". So, each ship might well have flown a flag with a star. Numenor was 'The Land of the Star', because the Edain came to Elenna, "guided by the Star of Earendil", so, a star was emblematic. However, why would the banner of Gondor display seven stars when they came to Middle-earth in nine ships? Why only a star for each of the ships that carried a Palantir?

Hi Octoburn,

I am not sure that that explanation works? The Faithful, "escaped from the Downfall with nine ships". So, each ship might well have flown a flag with a star. Numenor was 'The Land of the Star', because the Edain came to Elenna, "guided by the Star of Earendil", so, a star was emblematic. However, why would the banner of Gondor display seven stars when they came to Middle-earth in nine ships? Why only a star for each of the ships that carried a Palantir?
It's Tolkien's explanation though. Straight from the appendices. Of the nine ships that escaped, 7 had a palantir on board. Those 7 ships had a banner flying that bore a single star to signify they bore a palantir. I'm sure the other ships of Numenor bore banners as well, what they are, he never says.

I'm not overly fond of it myself, I would prefer it represented the Valacirca. But it's the explanation Tolkien gave us.

Back