Nerdanel

Richol Richards

It struck me that Bonnie Wright would be a decent fit for Nerdanel, especially if Fëanor is cast a little on the younger side. But even if he isn't I think it still would work. I can see her being strong and "firm of will" but gentle and patient at the same time, with an eagerness for learning. She's certainly lovely, and her features lend to that blend of grace, free-mindedness, and resilience one would look for in Nerdanel.

Screen Shot 2016-03-31 at 2.12.29 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-03-31 at 2.09.00 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-03-31 at 2.08.33 PM.png

Last edited:
I personally had Rosalind Halstead in mind as Nerdanel, particularly after her performance opposite Tom Hardy as Heathcliff in Wuthering Heights. Second picture is from Wuthering Heights.

46f8a53714428f26fed151aa7d4c1422-93703.jpg

295796.jpg

Drawing from the idea of three versions of a character, I suggest Sophie Turner, known for the roles of Sansa Stark on Game of Thrones and Jean Grey in X-Men: Apocalypse, as a 20-year old Nerdanel.

latest

Sophie-Turner-as-Jean-Grey-in-X-Men-Apocalypse-591973.jpg

That would be a good guess, as far as I can tell. I just took the old suggestion from another thread since she was mentioned in several places. We'll see what happens.

I don't think we will need a 'young Nerdanel' character, and if we do have her in the background, she will likely be the adult actress with pigtails or something.

Personally, I don't like the idea of adult actors playing characters the equivalent of 10+ years their junior.

Personally, I don't like the idea of adult actors playing characters the equivalent of 10+ years their junior.

I agree with this, but I don't think we're going to need to show Nerdanel before she reaches adulthood. Any difference in age we show between a 20-year-old elf and a 1000-year-old elf should be done through makeup, not casting a different person.

I mostly drew this from the Feanor thread, where Haakon suggested there be three actors playing Feanor as a child, a young man of 20, and as an adult. On the other hand, we could have Nerdanel meet Feanor when he starts learning from Mahtan and it's mentioned that he married her when he was relatively young.

Last edited:
I would say that the elves most likely don't feel the same weirdness about age differences that we do. But I disagree with the idea of casting Feanor as an adult twice.

Of course, they're elves. But to me, it feels weird seeing a 28-year-old playing a 16-year-old, just to give an example.

On the other hand, I guess Sophie Turner is not a viable suggestion?

Last edited:
I'd say she has about as much support as anyone who's been mentioned. Four actresses have been mentioned by four people, and none seconded.

Back