Feanor

I think I kinda like Dorff for Maedros. There's something... soulful?... in his look. Too introspective for Feanor (says the girl who really, really wants Armitage)

I have definitely got Zac Efron stuck in my brain for this role. When we start officially nominating that's my first step.

I want to throw in a nomination for Eddie Redmayne. He's a great actor and can encapsulate the fiery spirit of Feanor. I can also see him make the transition from sympathetic character to a dark and proud king.
IMG_1427.JPG IMG_1429.JPG IMG_1430.JPG IMG_1428.JPG

While Eddie Redmayne no doubt can pull off a more, er, subtle performance than he offered in the Jupiter Ascending film, I'm not convinced that I'd want him for a villain's role based on that.

We do want an actor who has been cast as a sympathetic villain or as both a hero and villain in the past - we don't want a flat out villain, or anyone who will come across as too 'good guy' to handle Fëanor in Season 3. So, from that perspective, I do like that we are considering actors who have had a range of roles.

Ha, yes I agree his Jupiter Ascending role was not subtle. :)
I posted those pics mostly because he was wearing a more fantasy appropriate costume. And to show he can play angry just as well as he can play nice.

But should we call Feanor a flat out villains role? Isn't he more of a tragic hero, or fallen king, a la Oedipus or King Lear?

I still think Redmayne would do a fantastic job as Feanor. He has some great elven features too. At least he should be in the running for the final vote I think. :)

Sorry if I was not clear - we do *not* want to cast Fëanor as a villain - he's a tragic fallen hero. It's just that he does fall pretty far, so casting someone who has only had 'good guy' roles might not look right for the Season 3 material (Kinslaying, Ship Burning, Death-by-Balrog). Likewise, casting someone who routinely plays straight villain roles would be problematic. Flawed hero or sympathetic villain would be the types of roles to look at, or for actors who play both heroes and villains.

My comment about Redmayne was that, well, yes, he *has* played a villain, but...would you hire him to play a villain again based on that?

Full list of all names put forward in this thread for consideration for Fëanor:

Tom Hiddleston (Loki, Henry V)
Harry Lloyd (Viserys)
Richard Armitage (Thorin)
Christian Bale (Batman)
Edward Norton (Fight Club, American History X)
Aidan Turner (Thorin's nephew :p)
Gerard Butler
Sam Claflin (Hunger Games)
Tom Hardy (Heathcliff)
Ben Barnes (Caspian)
Wes Bentley (American Beauty)
Dominic Cooper (Sense and Sensibility)
Zac Efron
Stephen Dorff
Daniel Craig (007)
Eddie Redmayne (Fantastic Beasts)

For Young Fëanor:
Tom Holland (Spiderman)
Bill Milner (Magneto)

Some of these names I would strike off pretty quickly (here's looking at you, Zac Efron, Harry Lloyd and Ben Barnes), but that is an impressive collection of suggestions and I wanted to make sure people had options rather than getting fixated on one choice. Anyone else we should add?

Last edited:
I'll add in Leonardo diCaprio and Matt Damon. Why? Fëanor is - I think - a difficult character to cast, but he has to get the attention when he's on the screen. That means actors that are charismatic and make you listen to them. Hehe, why not?

Heh, Leonardo diCaprio does have a lot of stored up good will that goes far with audiences, even when he's playing a despicable-across-the-board character like in Blood Diamond. So that might not be such a terrible suggestion!

One mistake: Cooper is Dominic Cooper, not John Cooper, though the character he plays in Sense and Sensibility is named John Willoughby.

I would like to suggest Michael Spears:

michaelspears.jpg

I think he has the feanorian gaze...

Back