Feanor

Eh I forget... Did we decide to have a young Fëanor or did we choose to jump from kid Fëanor (no casting) to adult Fëanor?

I haven't heard Trish Lambert weigh in on child actors yet, so we can suggest them, but I don't know if they'll be cast.

Fëanor will be a child in Episode 7, but married by the end of the episode (so...adult). We'll need him as a baby/toddler (so *not* cast) in Episode 6. If someone has a good suggestion for pre-teen Fëanor, by all means suggest them, but....probably not important to focus there. We now have way too many suggestions for adult Fëanor, so who do we need to keep on the list?

I would say that Richard Armitage and Tom Hiddleston have both gotten strong support from multiple people, so I'd say they're definitely under consideration. Who else needs to be on the voting list?

I'm still pouting that my choice was dismissed, so I'm just going to vote when the time comes. Hahahaha

(Many of the people suggested in the thread aren't "pretty" enough. Handsome, yes. Pretty, no. It might hearken back to a meme/gag/joke or something, but we really need someone more Orlando, less Viggo.)

So, Corey and Trish were talking about how the actor who plays Feanor should have a Martin Freeman-like ability to portray what he's thinking on his face, and I thought of William Moseley.
MV5BYjFhMTVkOGItZTg1NS00OTQ1LTliYTYtNjAyYzJkZWM0N2YxL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzA1OTU2MQ@@._V1_UY317_CR20,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Here are some relevant clips from Prince Caspian:

(start around 2:30)

Probably the most prominent of the early elves, I was surprised to not see a casting thread devoted to him yet (maybe I'm just blind.) So let's start the discussion with a couple of events that this person needs to do:
  • Make the Silmarils
  • Kinstrife (drawing his sword)
  • Refuse to break the Silmarils
  • Rebellion: the Oath, kinslaying, leading people over the sea, buring of the ships, etc
  • Go out in a blaze of glory (literally)
I'll just go ahead and make the obligatory Tom Hiddleston suggestion here.

My first thought was to have someone not so obviously famous. And I came up with Connor Trinneer (he played Trip Tucker on Star Trek Enterprise). I'm not the best judge of male attractiveness, but he's a good-looking guy who strikes me as having a kind of smolder behind his eyes that Feanor needs. Plus I think he totally could rock pointed ears.

If not for Feanor, I say keep him in the running for other Elves.

While Hiddleston is a good choice, it almost seems too obvious. And will association with Loki for the audience work against us?

Feel free to add your choice to the nomination thread!

I agree that Hiddleston would do a great job...if the audience could forget for a minute that he's Loki.

Eh I forget... Did we decide to have a young Fëanor or did we choose to jump from kid Fëanor (no casting) to adult Fëanor?

Okay. now that Fëanor is cast, and we've decided to go with a more mature actor, I would say that Episode 6 is toddler!Fëanor, and then Episode 7 is teen!Fëanor (who will age at the midpoint, but still be the same actor). We will not switch to our currently cast Fëanor until Episode 8.

Sound reasonable?

Okay. now that Fëanor is cast, and we've decided to go with a more mature actor, I would say that Episode 6 is toddler!Fëanor, and then Episode 7 is teen!Fëanor (who will age at the midpoint, but still be the same actor). We will not switch to our currently cast Fëanor until Episode 8.

Sound reasonable?
images

One advantage of doing it this way is that we would have a youthful looking Fëanor through his wedding, so all of his acting rash nonsense would be possibly excused a bit due to age. One disadvantage is that we would likely also need a young!Nerdanel to go with him, unless our actress can be successfully made up to look about 18/20 years old.

The original thought was to have young teen Fëanor during the first half of Episode 7, and then a timeskip in the middle of the Episode, and then introduce adult Fëanor when he meets Nerdanel (so she would also be only her adult self). If he's the teen actor, but aged up a bit with Richard Armitage-esque makeup, that's fine...but then what does she look like when they first meet? Pre-wedding she can look different than post-7-kids, obviously, but should she be a different actress? I'd rather not, but....

One advantage of doing it this way is that we would have a youthful looking Fëanor through his wedding, so all of his acting rash nonsense would be possibly excused a bit due to age. One disadvantage is that we would likely also need a young!Nerdanel to go with him, unless our actress can be successfully made up to look about 18/20 years old.

The original thought was to have young teen Fëanor during the first half of Episode 7, and then a timeskip in the middle of the Episode, and then introduce adult Fëanor when he meets Nerdanel (so she would also be only her adult self). If he's the teen actor, but aged up a bit with Richard Armitage-esque makeup, that's fine...but then what does she look like when they first meet? Pre-wedding she can look different than post-7-kids, obviously, but should she be a different actress? I'd rather not, but....
So when does Feanor meet Nerdanel?

Fëanor and Nerdanel meet after the timeskip in the mid-point of Episode 7. They should both look like young adults at this point - fully grown, old enough to be married (as they will be getting married at the end of the episode), but young enough to pull off a 'young love' storyline [ie, she's living with her father, he's an apprentice, they go traipsing about the countryside together, etc.]

Had we cast a 20-something actor as Fëanor, he would have been fine for that. As we've cast a 40-something actor, I'd prefer to allow the younger actor from the first half of the episode to finish out that episode with makeup effects to show some age after the timeskip. This will allow us to gradually transform him into adult Fëanor, rather than to just swap the actors.

Nerdanel and Fëanor (as cast) will appear from the beginning of Episode 8, which is years later when they already have at least 3-4 kids.

Whoever we pick should have some facial features in common with Richard Armitage, so it's a matter of makeup and not extreme facial prosthetics to make the transition go smoothly. Both the suggestions posted by Haakon and Angeleyes have the correct distinctive nose, I think. But I figured why not look back at Richard Armitage when he was younger for ideas?

Maybe 2012 or so?
richard-armitage-the-hobbit-the-battle-of-the_4487199.jpg

2007 Richard Armitage:
armitagechrisfloyd04.jpg

2004 Richard Armitage (age 33):
MV5BMTI3MzU5NjM4MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDkyNDMzMQ@@._V1._CR3,15,275,351_.jpg

And 2003 (I suppose this isn't a mugshot, as the lighting is too nice, but he looks just about as happy to have his photo taken here as someone who was arrested):
sexyphotoshoot19closeup-1-1.jpg

Earlier?
richard-22.jpg

And here we have teenage Richard Armitage:
e8531f5a-11.jpg

(I now feel like a stalker. Apparently there are people on the internet who really like Richard Armitage?)

Last edited:
Back