Formenos

Melkor is going to kill Finwë, be directly responsible for Fëanor's death, and....capture Maedhros. He isn't going to directly kill any of the 7 sons, or even be responsible for their deaths (outside of 'all evil is Melkor's fault'). So breaking off just one will fit.

Strikes me as the sort of guy who would take the one he needs, and then break the others just because breaking stuff is cool.

Melkor is going to kill Finwë, be directly responsible for Fëanor's death, and....capture Maedhros. He isn't going to directly kill any of the 7 sons, or even be responsible for their deaths (outside of 'all evil is Melkor's fault'). So breaking off just one will fit.
I said the above poorly, mea cupla. I know Morgoth only kills Finwe, and not even Feanor falls directly by his hands... Feanor's sons either all die in Kinslayings or in fire and Kinslayings, except for Maedros and Maglor. But it is the murder of Finwe and theft of the Silmarils that sets them on that path to ruin, pain, and death. So I agree, and meant to say, that he only takes one spear. But that leaves a chuck of the eight-pointed star missing, which is symbolically appropriate, to my eye. It will be two points, because spears are long and it would be two parts of the star, but that doesn't need to mean that Morgoth is literally responsible for 1/4 of the family's destruction.

If they've got nobody to use spears on yet they still have them, they've also got nobody to use a ballista on...

While that is clever, they aren't quite the same. I think it likely that if the spear is Noldorin in nature, Melkor acquires it in Episode 10, before he sneaks out of Tirion. Though frankly, would something the Noldor are making be better than something he can generate himself, the same way Eonwë does his sword?

While that is clever, they aren't quite the same. I think it likely that if the spear is Noldorin in nature, Melkor acquires it in Episode 10, before he sneaks out of Tirion. Though frankly, would something the Noldor are making be better than something he can generate himself, the same way Eonwë does his sword?
That's probably true, too... but I'd advocate that at the very least, the spear should look Noldorin, if only in mockery, when he kills the trees and Finwe.

Boo... and I was quite pleased with myself for the symbolism, too.

Or Melkor could take a look at the Noldor spear he's holding and then, after a brief moment, throw it away with a sneer. Then we see him getting his own spear, which looks much more brutal and evil.
...(just joking)

Masada was vetoed. The star-fort concept is definitely in, though!

So my mind is going back to early hill forts, but built with massive stone.

Masada was vetoed. The star-fort concept is definitely in, though!

So my mind is going back to early hill forts, but built with massive stone.
My connection was really patchy: did they like the idea of porphyry/red stone? Or was that vetoed, too?

Back