Recent content by Aerindis

1. Aerindis

Foreshadowing of the Past

I suspect that Gandalf is evasive in Many Meetings to avoid the larger and more scary questions that explaining his delay would raise. He instead focuses on Frodo's triumphs (the Barrow, escaping the Black Riders) and the safety within Rivendell thanks to Elrond's power. Gandalf steers the...
  2. Aerindis

Tracked Items

This is wonderful! I'd be happy to continue updating the Ring Temptation Tally on your document. I'm currently making a timeline of events in the order that we, as readers, will encounter them. Once complete, it should be useful in tracking those "we should come back to this when we reach...
  3. Aerindis

Tracked Items

Everything (eventually!) that has been mentioned during class which "we should keep track of!" Edited to add a link to the timeline spreadsheet, though it's still a work in progress. 29 Jan 2019 Find a sentence in The Lord of the Rings containing the more similes than the following: "A breath...
  4. Aerindis

Ring Temptation Tally

As we work our way through the book, I plan to track instances of the Ring directly influencing Frodo's thoughts or actions. I'll update this post as we discuss them in class. Also tracked in Timeline...
  5. Aerindis

A Golden Berry sitting in the Rushes

The discussion of the name “Goldberry” not sounding appropriate for a water-spirit got me thinking about what the “daughter” of a river might be. What does the river nourish? The obvious answer is the flora and fauna surrounding the Withywindle. Perhaps “berry” is metaphorical for the “fruit” of...
  6. Aerindis

It was well known that Gandalf was 'hiding up in the Bag End.'

I wanted to add some thoughts on the disparity between Gandalf's notoriety among the hobbits and their personal acquaintance with him, but this is all I can think of:
  7. Aerindis

Re: ... the wind was in the South...

I got a little over enthusiastic and posted a reply to TThurston's interesting comments in the Questions for Narnion section. Now that I've fixed that, I thought I'd move the reply here instead: Agreed, the wind and landscape in general tell quite a bit of the story. It's worth tracking where...
Back