Recent content by Alyriel

1. A

Dante and Boethius

That does look like a fruitful paper topic. One part of the premise I have to question though, and that is the casual relegation of Vergil to the role of "allegorical spirit". There is strong evidence that Vergil is not an allegory - he's Vergil. You can read him as allegory if you like, and...
  2. A

Welcome to the shadowed forest!

I was very excited seeing that Inferno had won the vote, though I do have reservations about the Mandelbaum translation. Favorite translation I guess can be quite a subjective decision, probably heavily influenced by first exposure to the text. Anyone looking to sample another besides...
  3. A

Audiobook versions

Not quite an audio book, but there are some youtube videos of Roberto Benigni reading the original Italian. I especially like his reading of Inferno V. They are enjoyable and affecting readings, even without quite understanding the language.
  4. A

What'cha reading?

Since finding the Exploring series, I've started a LoTR reread; I was due for one anyway as its been a couple years. And while my reread is far outpacing the class series, Corey's oh so close reading of the text and attention to detail has really made me consider things in ways that I never had...
Back