Recent content by arustleund

1. A

My solution to the Ring Verse syllable discrepancy

It does really swing, doesn't it? Further evidence that jazz is evil. ;)
  2. A

Thanks for your responses, Rachel amd Jim! I agree with Jim that it may be more useful to think of each quarter note as a group of three triplet eighth-notes. It still leaves your question, Rachel. Even with the triplets instead of dotted-eighth -> sixteenth, the last "them" could have come on...
  3. A

Sorry, everyone, still having more thoughts as I start to obsess a bit... what I don't like about this version is that there seems to be an inconsistency about which syllable gets the stress in what I assume are the verbs (durbatulûk, gimbatul, thrakatulûk, and krimpatul). I think this was...
  4. A

The Rhythms of Black Speech

Agreed! In fact, this was exactly my point! :) I don't think Tolkien intended the second measure to have the same rhythm in English vs. Black Speech, even though they have the same number of syllables. I think that both the English and the Black Speech have an "extra" syllable in this line, if...
  5. A

Why would Tolkien be OK with such a close, but not exact, mapping? I believe his first priority was the stresses: both English and Black Speech maintain the strong stresses on beats 1, 2, and especially 3. This was meant to be an incantation, the drum-beat style rhythm was most important in...
  6. A

Hi everyone, longtime listener, first time poster... I'm still a little over a year behind, but catching up quickly! :) I've just listened to the episode containing the debate over the rhythm and stress of the Black Speech vs. English versions of the Ring Verse. Here's my transcription of what...
  7. A

The Rhythms of Black Speech

Here's what I believe to be the correct rhythm and stresses of the ring verse, in Black Speech and English. You can see that the stresses or accents line up on beats 1, 2, and 3 in both languages, a perfect match. In fact, measures 1 and 3 are exact mappings. The mistake I think Corey made...
Back