Recent content by Brian Dimmick

1. B

Session 5-04: The Season 5 Frame

I was wondering if, because the Dagor Bragollach is such amajor event and fills episodes 12 and 13 (assuming that continues to be the plan) if we want to try to mostly wrap up the frame by episode 11. I'm not sure what we could show as a climax to the frame that could go in those two episodes...
  2. B

We could show contrast between the Haradrim and Beor's people by how they first react to meeting a stranger. Beor's people are open to finding new people in Beleriand (they have come to Beleriand seeking somethign new, even if they may not be able or willing to articulate it clearly). Finrod...
  3. B

I think that makes sense. We could allude to the fact that he has visited others, but only show his interactions with the one tribe he is spending the most time with. I think we should be early enough in the unification process that the outcome is in doubt and a lot of people still remain...
  4. B

Agreed, but using power to persuade that way gets easier the more power you amass. The most interesting story to tell in 2951, I think, woudl be where Suaron is just getting a foothold among the Haradrim and is beginning to consolidate that power, but isn't obviously the dominant force yet. It...
  5. B

I think of Harad (both near and far) as made up of different peoples/tribes that may share a common religion and a lot of common traditions but are not necessarily politically united. Without a strong central authority, different groups will tend to focus on their own affairs, and probably...
  6. B

Session 5-03: Season Outline

In addition to sowing distrust (which will always please them and work to their advantage) perhaps the bad guys are also aiming to encourage complacency and weaken the intensity of the siege, to make the Dagor Bragollach easier. Maybe Annael could do something that would lead to some defenses...
  7. B

Session 5-02: Scope of the Season

I think the passage of time is important here. It has been 60+ years since Beor brought his people into Beleriand, and Bereg (like most of those who will speak at the council) has spent his entire life in Beleriand. The men who crossed the mountains came looking for the west and a land of...
  8. B

Session 5-01: Pre-production

And also from the fact that he is an emissary of Ulmo. Turgon will know of MEn before Tuor comes, but he won't know very much about them. He will know generally that they have come to Beleriand and some have allied with the Eldar, and that they are valiant in battle, but he won't know much of...
  9. B

I agree that whether we show Men and Dwarves meeting is up to us. Since the PubSil is told from the Elvish perspective, and interactions or even trade between Men and Dwarves probably wouldn’t be of great interest to the elves unless it touched them, it makes sense that it would not be...
  10. B

I think playing down the coercion angle, and avoiding any suggestion of violence, makes this a more interesting story. I want Aredhel to see something in Eol, and for Eol to make a genuine attempt to win her over. He does coerce her, by enchantment, to come to his house in the first place...
  11. B

I wouldn’t expect elves to seek out a partner or court in the same way humans do—marriage seems to work differently in each society. I don’t think elves would feel any need to ask a family member for permission to marry, but they would under normal circumstances value the opinions of...
  12. B

On Amras: Some Thoughts and Questions.

For elves, of course there will be individual variation just as in humans, but I would think that most elves could gradually recover from an event that would trigger that kind of acute depression in humans. But recovery might be slower--elves don't adapt and change as quickly as humans do. And...
  13. B

Session 3.16 - S3Ep11: The Making of the Sun and the Moon

In my head the story of Amras to show the true tragedy of the Oath. He loses the person closest to him through it, and it then drives a wedge between him and his father and brothers. He regrets the oath, even if he doesn't actually renounce it, and tries to avoid its consequences. He fights...
  14. B

On Amras: Some Thoughts and Questions.

Another thing to think about is how Amras' brothers react to whatever depression/anger symptoms he might manifest. Elves don't have a lot of experience dealing with these thingsi n those around them, and the sons of Feanor don't strike me as the most emotionally supportive crowd. So they might...
  15. B

S03E09 Script Discussion

If everyone is reading this I'll just repost comments here. They will be walking on ice and suddenly realize that there is water under the ice, not land. Also, do they have a point of no return moment, where they realize that there is no turning back (for eample, there is a stretch of thin ice...
Back