Recent content by Clueless Noob

1. C

Fireworks

Dwarves and their mines! That's brilliant! Now I just have to figure out the the route he took since he got to The Hill "through Bywater from the direction of Brandywine Bridge". The display is described as having special effects, set pieces, and flights of rockets. I could probably make...
  2. C

Fireworks

I've lapped the class and started re-reading from the beginning. Gandalf has just rolled through town with his cart-load of fireworks. This has brought several questions to mind. Where is Gandalf's manufacturing facility? I would guess Rivendell, since he probably isn't mass-producing a...
  3. C

The burzum-ishi krimpatul problem

I was about 12 when I got to the end of The Hobbit and read: "You don’t really suppose, do you, that all your adventures and escapes were managed by mere luck, just for your sole benefit?" While I was at the bookstore getting my (now very tattered and well-read) LOTR, I picked up something...
  4. C

The burzum-ishi krimpatul problem

Higher up the org chart: Eru. Reached out his invisible hand and poked Sauron in the tongue at just the right moment. Thus spake Illuvatar, "For he that attempteth this shall prove but mine instrument" (Why, yes. Yes I am currently listening to the discussion of the Athrabeth while I type this.)
  5. C

Feed borked again?

...and I haven't been able to find the SilmFilm podcasts since the "Feed Changes" back in the middle of March. I think I remember that the podcast feeds are maintained by volunteers. With everything going on in the world right now, I guess there's a dearth of volunteers, and I'm not going to...
  6. C

Gandalf’s curious assertion about a power of the Great Rings

Anthony: "Objection! Assumes facts not in evidence" Flammifer: "Objection sustained" Me: "Withdrawn"** However, why shouldn't Gandalf lie? He's not the morally pure character that some critics of LOTR seem to think. None of the characters we've met so far are the blindingly good / bad people...
  7. C

Gandalf’s curious assertion about a power of the Great Rings

First, the distinction of "7" and "9" was only in distribution, not innate qualities. Celebrimbor made some lesser, practice rings, then made The 16 with Annatar's help; and then made The 3 on his own. These 16 were originally intended by Annatar to be held by the Elves, so that he could rule...
  8. C

Ideas for Signum's New Shop!

Please, take my $$$... ...for a t-shirt with hobbits throwing dishes out the window. I have no artistic ability whatsoever, so someone please help me out.
  9. C

The name of everyone's favourite Returning King

Thanks for the actual derivation. I was breaking those to make them similar to older Numenorian kings' names (like Ar-Gimilzor or Ar-Pharazon) and wondering if there was a significance.
  10. C

Council of Elrond: why are we doing this?

The 1st goal was to nudge Frodo into accepting the quest. Except that "some other will was using his small voice". Eru left sticky, jelly-doughnut-covered fingerprints all over Frodo, and Gandalf was wise enough (aware enough, something enough) to know this. "You don’t really suppose, do you...
  11. C

The name of everyone's favourite Returning King

Ar-Agorn son of Ar-Athorn I can't find anything in the etymologies. What is the significance of the almost-but-not-quite Adunaic names?
  12. C

Council of Elrond: why are we doing this?

Why is there a Council at all?? There are only 4 groups / people who show up. 1) "Golum escaped." -Legolas "I read that on Gwaihir's blog a couple of weeks ago, but thanks for the corroboration." - Gandalf 2) "Sauron's emmisary showed up at our door. Dain wants to know what to do." -Gloin...
  13. C

Interesting use of "the".

Well, it's a nickname based on what he does. Kind of like telling your spouse that you are going to lunch with your friend "the skier" as opposed to your other friend "the golfer".
  14. C

Flooding the Ford (again!), but no boulders

"...Gandalf the Wizard, whose fame in the Shire was due mainly to his skill with fires, smokes, and lights" because he "made a special study of bewitchments with fire and light." And he was "a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor." (Should I bring up that he's got Narya, the...
  15. C

Advanced chronometry

In our current chapter, we see that the Hobbits have descent time-keeping devices (and we know that Bilbo had a nice mantle clock). "'What is it!' cried Merry. 'It is time to get up. It is half past four and very foggy." But when we get to Gondor, we see that they tell time according to the...
Back