Recent content by Cyneburga

1. Cyneburga

New Old Norse Blog - Tattoos and Tooth Modification

For those of you who have take Old Norse or have an interest in all things Viking, Grimfrost (amazing online Viking shop if you don't know it) sent out a blog recently that was incredibly interesting regarding Viking tattoos and tooth modification. Just wanted to share. :) Tattoos and Teeth...
  2. Cyneburga

The One Ring - How Many Can We Find?

That is truly amazing! I always love how a literal translation can bring out something of the core beauty of a language!
  3. Cyneburga

The One Ring - How Many Can We Find?

Starting with Old Norse, since that class is about to start: Þrír hringar fyrir álfakonungunum undir himni Three rings for elf-kings-the under heaven Sjáu fyrir dvergadróttnunum í þeira steinhöllum Seven for dwarf-lords-the in their stone-halls Níu fyrir mönnum dauðligum ok dauðadœmdum...
  4. Cyneburga

Idea for Germanic Philology Course

I like it! I haven't taken the Germanic Philology courses yet - how much time do they spend on Proto-Germanic, Middle High German, and Old High German?
  5. Cyneburga

An Anglo-Saxon Carol

I thought I would also add his Old Norse rendition of Frosty the Snowman - especially fun as Frosty is the name of one of the dwarves named in the Poetic Edda.
  6. Cyneburga

What we might use this forum for?

I attended a week there about 20 years ago now - I would love to go back! They have online classes now, too, so I might tackle that in the meantime.
  7. Cyneburga

An Anglo-Saxon Carol

An Old Norse adaptation:
  8. Cyneburga

Audiobook versions

I'm currently listening to the Canterbury Tales narrated by Charlton Griffin. It isn't bad. He narrates a lot of "classics" on Audible.
  9. Cyneburga

Practicing simple greetings...

Feasgar math! Ciamar a tha thu?
  10. Cyneburga

Reading Old English

Old German names included Botterlicker (butter-licker), Molkendieb (whey-thief), and Milchdieb (milk-thief). https://wordhistories.net/2017/11/25/names-of-butterfly/
  11. Cyneburga

DuoLingo

I've been enjoying this site for Gaelic: https://learngaelic.net/
Back