Recent content by Falterroy

1. F

Boromir's prophecy

If the fellowship still had frodo, would they have detoured to save Merry and Pippin? the reason Faramir got the dreams can easily be that A he is more sensitive and B to convince Boromir to go. Perhaps if the dream was just Boromirs, he would not have left. But Boromir saw Faramir leaving and...
  2. F

Boromir's prophecy

I am sorry I am behind quite a bit. I dont know if this is covered later and I am trying to catch up, but I sat through listening to quite a bit of assumptions that the prophecy Boromir told from the dream was actually meant for Faramir. And that it should have been Faramir who came instead of...
  3. F

Why Boulders

I was thinking something similarish, in that they are neither living nor dead. Perhaps he is giving them a burial to declare them dead :P Or it is so the Nazgul and Sauron can waste time in debate for several days trying to work out Why Boulders. Just to mess with them, he threw in something...
  4. F

Agency and The Nature of the Rings of Power

Forgive me if this comes across as tangential but I think it is relevant to the topic discussed. What if the rings of power don't manipulate people by any evil will inside them but it is mainly through the powers of the rings themselves. One thing that this course has raised is the notion that...
  5. F

Why is Tolkien's world Medieval?

All really good answers. In the hobbit, which I know was writ before the LOTR and some of the references may not be taken completely literally, but there is mention that many of the machines that menace mankind in the present were crafted by the orcs. There could be a really fun sequel to LOTR...
  6. F

Why is Tolkien's world Medieval?

Why do you think Middle Earth is set in a Medieval setting? I dont mean why is it set in medieval times. It is set there for various reasons such as because Tolkien wanted it set there. What I mean is, the third age is 3000 years, the second age is approximately that as well, and I cant recall...
  7. F

Gandalf V Witch King + WK Upgrade question

I was tempted to bring up the scene from the hobbit where Gandalf is willing to sacrifice himself to fight the band of orcs and wargs. We don't know how many there are, whatever a raiding party amounts to. But it seemed to equal or be more than equal Gandalfs worth, from his POV. I dont know...
  8. F

What do you think the nazgul did when he held them off? As in, did they stay there continuing to push their oppressive will at him but because it was day time he was able to break free, or did they see day come and walk away. We know that they arent averse to being in daylight, they just arent...
  9. F

Why does Gandalf seemed concerned about fighting the WK? What reason does he have to believe that the WK is a challenge? I always interpreted Gandalf as having fought 4 nazgul on weathertop rather than the nine, partly because I don't like rendering the bad guys as too impotent, and partly...
  10. F

Frodo Fadin, Fadin away

The only point against this is that if Gandalf had the power to outright read peoples minds then why did he not read Gollum's mind instead of his interrogating? The only things I can think of are perhaps that A) Gollum's mind was too complex and old. It was filled with thousands of years of...
  11. F

The Witch King! Who knew his identity?

I really dont mean to keep posting threads and promise this will be my last for a while. This is about the witch king, AGAIN. So how long did people know the connection between the Witch King and the nazgul? It seemed to me that the last king of Gondor, forget his name, seemed to think of the...
  12. F

Frodo Fadin, Fadin away

Hi, So I am up to episode 95, about halfway at the moment so I know some of this topic was covered but I don't know if this has been revisited and I want to post this idea before I forget it entirely. I also apologise for this being a long and tangential post. So I always interpreted Gandalf...
  13. F

Frodo, your sword is broken

I have a new theory!!! Okay, this theory is that the Witch King had no intention of destroying the blade although that was a bonus for him and he probably thought it made him look cool. My theory is that the Witch King only intended on exerting his influence on shutting Frodo up, but his...
  14. F

Horses on the Waves

Perhaps it was a joke on Gandalf's part. Black Riders from Mordor are chasing after hobbits, so it would be funny for the Black Riders in turn to get chased down by massive White Riders from Rivendell, and then sent packing back to Mordor. Tit for Tat, but in a way that the...former...
  15. F

Frodo, your sword is broken

I think what was really important about that moment was that up until then the Witch Kings power was being used really only on Frodo. Tiny bit on the horse. But he was filling Frodo with despair and making psychic commands Frodo had trouble resisting. Up until this point, everything he did COULD...
Back