Recent content by kanji_d

1. K

Script Discussion - S07E01!

With a little of this, I wonder if we can reconstruct back some sound changes from Primitive Adunaic and maybe get something closer. It's not exactly clear but, for instance, manaw and *manawī eventually become manô and manôi. So maybe Avalôi (the Valar) comes from *Avalawī. We don't have a lot...
  2. K

Session 7-11: Frame Outline

We do have scenes in Episode 1 already set aside for the frame (our bottle episodes are bottles except for their frame: see Episodes 4, 7, and 10 (I believe) of Season 6). It's also worth noting we don't have a strict attachment to the idea of frames as one character telling the story to...
  3. K

Session 7-10: The Nirnaeth Arnoediad

Could I just confirm the date on this? I have Thursday March 7th in my notes - March 1st is a Friday and has been noted for the S7E01 script discussion.
  4. K

Session 7-09: Season Outline

I like episodes 11 and 13 but I think episode 12 could be reworked. The betrayal of Uldor ought to come at the very end of the episode, I think, and most of the consequences faced in episode 13, since that's the deciding turn of the battle. Putting it in the middle of an episode I think would...
  5. K

Session 7-05: Húrin and Huor

I think I missed this session, but did we decide what Húrin's attitude/philosophy through the season is? Is it one of estel or amdir? Does "Aurë entuluva" come out of an established characterization or is it character development? I'd like to have that established as I think it's key to plotting...
  6. K

Session 7-09: Season Outline

Some suggestions based on this: I like where things meet in episode 4, I think that's a strong end to the first act of the season, if you will. I think pairing things around the birth and death of Lalaith needs to be done carefully: her young death has often read to me as almost an omen of the...
  7. K

Session 7-07 and 7-08: Other Season 7 Stories

I can't think of a good way to get Gothmog involved in the Sauron plotline, since Gothmog is not the scheming type and Sauron is too far away to solve the problem with a whip. So I think he has to be somewhat actively involved in the war. I don't remember what we decided the exact details of...
  8. K

A name for "Bree"

The talk of hills reminds me of Torpenhow Hill, a slope in Cumbria which (allegedly) is the only quadruply tautological place name — though the name is unofficial, and the actual etymology of the town of Torpenhow for which it was named is debated. That said, I think a combination of the two...
  9. K

Frame Story for Season 7 and Beyond

I've been thinking that we need to figure out soon where we want to end up in the Third Age frame timeline by the end of the First Age. There are several places we could end. In any case I'm not particularly concerned about running out of frame, I've actually been a little concerned at times...
  10. K

Session 7-02: The Scope of Season 7

What about, very broadly, union/unity? It is, after all, the Union of Maedhros that leads the campaign on Angband, and it is disunity within the forces of the Elves and Men that ultimately leads to the failure of the campaign. We can contrast the decision of Turgon to send his force from...
  11. K

Narrative Irony in the Túrin story

Have any of you watched the musical Sweeney Todd: the Demon Barber of Fleet Street? For those who don't want it spoiled (this discusses a major reveal at the end of the show), feel free to skip the spoiler: All this is to say, I think we can use a sort of middle ground: dropping hints here...
  12. K

Session 7-01: A Look Ahead

I approve of the second outline Marie has created above. I think the division of the stories of Tuor and Doriath is done smartly, so that each season feels like a story can be made out of it while creating a good balance. I don't know that we need all the seasons that are outlined, but given...
  13. K

Character Disappointment

Welcome indeed! Also, Thranduil is, as yet, not a character in the main storyline (Have we even introduced Oropher? I feel like we keep kicking the can on that). We're going to spend time developing his character before the events of The Hobbit when we reach that point in the main story. The...
  14. K

Forgive me if I misunderstand how you're understanding me, but I'm certainly not suggesting we have another season after the War of Wrath to resolve the Silmarils. What I'm saying is that while there is definitely a lot that can be done at the end of the War of Wrath, from a storytelling...
  15. K

Yes, that is what I was thinking too, but given the surrounding storylines leading up to the War of Wrath I think there's a case to be made for two seasons. The battle itself certainly won't take a full season. I agree the denouement needs not be more than two episodes, and quite honestly doing...
Back